Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

x-pipe, h-pipe, no pipe - pros, cons of each?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
x-pipe, h-pipe, no pipe - pros, cons of each?

so i've been wondering.

some exhausts have an h-pipe, some have an x, and some have none.

does anyone have an educated response or actual data as to why each one may be better than the other?

Old 12-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
you forgot Y pipe

H and X pipes of course will be for cars with true dual exhaust. Although it's rare that any vehicle comes with true dual exhaust anymore most cars that do come with true dual exhaust will come factory with h pipes. It's cheap and serves the basic purpose which is to equalize the exhaust pressure on both sides of the engine. My 2000 GT Mustang came with a factory H cross over pipe, and my 1968 Mustang has custom exhaust with long tube headers and has no cross over pipe and runs fine but in a perfect world it would be better to have one. Plus a cross over pipe to me smooths out the exhaust sound. X pipes came around in the performane market to add more performance but the gains can't be that much, but just by design you would think they would flow better becasue it gives the exhaust a straighter route towards the rear of the car. I have also heard that the x section creates somewhat of a vaccum becasue of the exhaust gases flowing past each other the actually suck the exhaust out of the oppisite side. I don't know how much I beleive of all that but I like the idea of shape of the x pipe. It makes sense to me that just based on the shape of them the x wold flow better. As far as sound. I nmy Mustang days the rule was use an h pipe with a chambered muffler, and and x pipe with straight through mufflers which is what I had on my GT and is sounded sweet. I have heard h pipes on straight through mufflers and thought it sounded like total garbage but some liked the nastiness of it. Not sure if the rules are the same on these lil V6's I doubt anyone make a h pipe or an after market muffler that is chambered for imports anyway. I've seen mainly x pipes in the true dual exhaust conversions and the straight through mufflers in the aftermarket. I think the factory mufflers may be chambered whcih I think is typically more quiet too.

correct me if / where I'm wrong. Personally I don't care what the performance gain is if it sounds like **** I'm not doing it.

Old 12-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Old 12-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
brutal thread

this out of it is good though
https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...5&postcount=82

Old 12-15-2007, 01:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
after i made this post i decided to try out the stang forums. .and i learned a lot on the stang forums. from this topic and the ones on the stang forum i came to this conclusion.

with a true dual, a crossover is almost recommended whether it is an h or x pipe.

an h pipe usually equals more low end tq and a deeper sound.

an x pipe usually equals more top end and a raspier, higher pitched sound.

thanks for the link