Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Alot of White Smoke From 1 Side Only & Fast Ticking Sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Unhappy Alot of White Smoke From 1 Side Only & Fast Ticking Sound

I search and search, and when I was done I search some more, still no answer.

When I start my car up in the morning have alot of white smoke coming out of the passenger side, and a little from the drivers side. I have a true-dual exhaust, so something on the passenger is a little "off". The temps in the morning are around 28-40F, and there is always dew/ice on my car. At first I thought maybe I have some condensation forming in my muffler, then when it heats up it produces steam(white smoke), but now I don't I just installed HFC's, but the temps were a bit warmer, so I never noticed any smoke.

Also I start my car up, I don't have the exotic sound of my HKS. I get a fast ticking sound all the way thur the RPM band. I didn't have that sound with my stock cats, or when I first installed my HFC's. After I installed my HFC's, my HKS still have that exotic tone, just louder. Now it sounds almost like a lawn sprinkler. Today I re-torque the all the bolts from the beginning of the H-pipe and back, to Infiniti spec's. I found some loose bolts, but I still have that sound. I didn't have time to re-torque the manifold to HFC's bolts(triangle flange), I will try during my next oil change in a week or so.

I found this thread with some answers: After headers and test pipes being installed....

Any other input would be great thanks.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Several things come to mind. Back in the day, when you had smoke on start up, it was bad valve guide seals, could be the same now. Once they get warm they seal up and the smoke stops. Really not a problem IF it stops. The ticking, could be many things. Stuck lifter is most likely. A tick, tick, tick is not as bad as a deep knock, knock, knock. Most times a tick can be fixed without pulling the motor. It could be an exhaust leak also.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Several things come to mind. Back in the day, when you had smoke on start up, it was bad valve guide seals, could be the same now. Once they get warm they seal up and the smoke stops. Really not a problem IF it stops. The ticking, could be many things. Stuck lifter is most likely. A tick, tick, tick is not as bad as a deep knock, knock, knock. Most times a tick can be fixed without pulling the motor. It could be an exhaust leak also.
-I not sure if it goes away after it warms, I'll check tomorrow.
-This maybe a noob question, but what do yo mean by a "stuck lifter?"

Old 12-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
A lifter is a device that sits against the cam and transmits motion to the valve (intake or exhaust). Hydraulic lifters use engine oil as a cushion and you must have oil pressure to make them work. That's why when you first start your car after it's been sitting all night, you sometimes here a fast tapping noise. Once the lifters get "pumped up" the noise goes away. Some times a lifter gets stuck (with dirt or sludge) and it makes the tapping noise constantly or until it becomes "unstuck".

Most any good mechanic can tell you just by listening if that is happening.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Once they get warm they seal up and the smoke stops. Really not a problem IF it stops.
I checked, and the smoke did stop. However when I first started my car this morning, I didn't see as much smoke pouring of the passenger side as before. Maybe because it was a little warmed today.

Last edited by citymunky; 12-27-2007 at 12:41 PM.