Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Pulsar Spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kinda sounds like those plug wires from back in the day.....damn i cant remember what they were called but they had individual ground straps, and a capacitor on top. same principal i believe

Old 05-31-2008, 06:53 PM
pretty much, but with the "modern" miracle of miniaturization, it's now in the plug

Old 05-31-2008, 08:52 PM
Just install my set this morning, drove it for 100 miles. The throttle response was better throughout the RPM range. The MPG was about the same tho.. Not bad for $150 mod.. Prolly get a set for my truck..

Old 06-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please read the WHOLE thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1827136

A supporting vendor of the Corvette Forum did independent dyno tests, before & after (using new NGKs vs. new Pulstars), on two different C6 vettes, one bone stock, one with heads/cam.

The stock one had some "weird" spark knock issues with the new plugs, but the H/C Vette saw 5-8 rwhp increase. Another poster there said they were able to resolve their spark knock issue (on a different Vette) by opening the gap slightly.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
My car was actually one of the G (white with SF-Challenge wheels) Dsport tested these spark plugs with in the March issue of this year. It made an extra 5.5hp bone stock with the plugs alone (which I couldn't really feel). They also had an STI that made an extra 10hp. So far I've driven about 4k with the pulsars and no problems at all, just good throttle response. Also since mine is an 04 it didn't make as much as an 05+ with the high rev motor which pumped out almost 8hp.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:41 AM
^^^ Did you check your mpg before the plugs? Do you now? If so, has there been any difference?

Old 06-01-2008, 01:47 AM
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by dTor
^^^ Did you check your mpg before the plugs? Do you now? If so, has there been any difference?
If the mpg is better its not by much cause I couldn't really tell the difference.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sagemark
The way I understand it the voltage is increased massively and discharged over a commensurately shorter period of time thus utilizing the same amount of current.
If it does indeed use a capacitor as people have suggested, how can the voltage increase massively? The highest voltage a capacitor can reach is the voltage of the charging source. A capacitor is governed by the equation:
v(t)=Vo(1-exp(-t/RC)) so it can only approach Vo(coil voltage)

Old 06-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Dyno testing results on G35 by Pulseplug makers +5WHP Claimed

Originally Posted by redlude97
If it does indeed use a capacitor as people have suggested, how can the voltage increase massively? The highest voltage a capacitor can reach is the voltage of the charging source. A capacitor is governed by the equation:

I had it wrong, they don't claim to increase the voltage, but rather the wattage. They claim a 20,000x increase in wattage from 50 watts to over one million watts, reducing the energy discharge period from 30 millionths of a second to 2 billionths of a second. They also claim that this still leads to a spark of equal duration. I have a basic understanding of electrical and electronic theory and practice, but not enough knowledge on the subject to support or dispute their technological claims.

Check out this web page for more information:

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/perfo.../pulseplug.php

This link takes you to an article that includes Dyno testing results in a 2004 G35 6MT Coupe:

http://www.pulstarplug.com/pdf/dsport_march2008.pdf
They claim just over 5 WHP gain from the Pulse Plugs.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Tested: Infiniti G35 Next, we strapped our 2004 Infiniti G35 six-speed coupe to the dyno. This G35 was also unmodified, with only 56,000 miles on the
odometer. The VQ35 engine was equipped with NGK Laser Platinum
(PLFR5A-11) from the factory. The VQ35 engine delivered a baseline of
233.98 horsepower to the wheels. The VQ35DE engine uses an
extended reach spark plug similar to the Subaru WRX/STi and EVO IX
engines. For this test, a set of dg1 Pulse Plugs was installed. With the
Infiniti still on the dyno, , the “G” pounded 239.15 horsepower to the
wheels. This represented a gain of nearly five peak horsepower, or 2.2
percent additional power. Upon closer examination of the dyno chart,
there were gains throughout the entire powerband with a peak gain of
nearly 10 horsepower at 5,200 RPM."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The only problem I see with the claimed results there is that in this example they seem to be testing they Pulseplugs versus old plugs with 56k miles on them. (They do show other test examples where they dynoed against a couple different types of new plugs)

What I don't see disclosed in any great detail is HOW their "Pulse Circuit" does what they say it does, but I also searched for patents covering this technology and found the following patent abstract. I assume, but could not verify that this patent covers the technology used in Pulse Plugs:

United States Patent 4739185
Pulse generating circuit for an ignition system
Link to this page http://www.wikipatents.com/4739185.html
Inventor(s) Lee; Michael J. (Rowington, GB3); Wentworth; Philip R. (Birmingham, GB3)
Abstract A pulse generating circuit for a plasma ignition system includes a thyristor connected between a supply terminal and earth. A primary winding (Wp) of a transformer (TR) and a first capacitor (C.sub.1) are connected across the thyristor. The supply terminal is also connected through a secondary winding (W.sub.s) and a diode (D) to an output terminal. A saturable core inductor (L) and a second capacitor (C.sub.2) are connected in series across the output terminal and earth. A plasma plug is also connected across the output terminal and earth. In operation, the first and second capacitors are charged and the thyristor is fired. A high voltage pulse is applied by the secondary winding (W.sub.s) to the plasma plug causing electric breakdown. The second capacitor (C.sub.2) then discharges through the inductor (L) and the plasma plug. Four alternative circuits are also described.

If you read more of the details that Pulstar provide on their product, they go on to say that the Pulse Plug cannot boost the spark voltage, nor can it reduce the voltage required to jump the plug electrode gap. They further state that the Pulse Plug, as it is sold, is for fairly normal motors but that for high compression or forced induction applications an upgraded secondary spark coil could be necessary to provide higher spark voltages.

See additional references here:

http://www.pulstarplug.com/inthenews.html

Last edited by Sagemark; 06-02-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by g35ctuner
kinda sounds like those plug wires from back in the day.....damn i cant remember what they were called but they had individual ground straps, and a capacitor on top. same principal i believe
One of the papers on their website refers to those older products as early examples of what the product is/does.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by pjames

(if i remember my physics classes right, a capacitor only releases it's charge once it reaches a certain point, hence it's use as a filter or as part of a timing device (in conjunction with a resistor). the discharge period of a capacitor is very quick, and varies with construction and make up, but, i would say, in any case faster than a coil discharge. in theory it works, with a small retard in timing but a potentially stronger spark, which may arrive at the same time as the peak spark before hand. whether it makes a noticable difference or not, i don't know, but i would suspect more gains in small engines with coil-only ignitions)
It will (in this case) only release it's stored voltage when it reaches the voltage required to jump the gap of the plug.

A capacitor passes AC current/voltage and blocks DC curren/voltage.

Caps this small, can't store much current. They pass it on as soon as the jump voltage is reached. There is no way it could store enough current to discharg in and of itself.

The only thing that changes is the amount of capacitance in the "tuned circut" of the ignition. Therefore, the frequency and/or duration can change.

As for the "timing" issue, BS. There is NO WAY that this can change the overall timing enough to make a NOTICEABLE change. It will be NANOSECONDS at best. It WILL change the look of the waveform on an O scope.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by redlude97
Changing the capacitance in a "tuned circuit" can change the AMPLITUDE of the waveform. So yes, you can increase ouput voltage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LC_circuit

Old 06-02-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
It will (in this case) only release it's stored voltage when it reaches the voltage required to jump the gap of the plug.

A capacitor passes AC current/voltage and blocks DC curren/voltage.

Caps this small, can't store much current. They pass it on as soon as the jump voltage is reached. There is no way it could store enough current to discharg in and of itself.

The only thing that changes is the amount of capacitance in the "tuned circut" of the ignition. Therefore, the frequency and/or duration can change.

As for the "timing" issue, BS. There is NO WAY that this can change the overall timing enough to make a NOTICEABLE change. It will be NANOSECONDS at best. It WILL change the look of the waveform on an O scope.
Can you explain this point? Unless I've missed something, a cap can pass DC just as well as AC (e.g. - caps used on car stereos amps are charged with, store, and discharge 12vdc).

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor

Power conditioning
Reservoir capacitors are used in power supplies where they smooth the output of a full or half wave rectifier. They can also be used in charge pump circuits as the energy storage element in the generation of higher voltages than the input voltage.

Capacitors are connected in parallel with the power circuits of most electronic devices and larger systems (such as factories) to shunt away and conceal current fluctuations from the primary power source to provide a "clean" power supply for signal or control circuits. Audio equipment, for example, uses several capacitors in this way, to shunt away power line hum before it gets into the signal circuitry. The capacitors act as a local reserve for the DC power source, and bypass AC currents from the power supply. This is used in car audio applications, when a stiffening capacitor compensates for the inductance and resistance of the leads to the lead-acid car battery.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
Changing the capacitance in a "tuned circuit" can change the AMPLITUDE of the waveform. So yes, you can increase ouput voltage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LC_circuit
You are right, obviously my electrical background is on the novice level, the theory I stated about capacitors is true, but when combined with other circuit elements can increase the voltage

Old 06-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by dTor
Can you explain this point? Unless I've missed something, a cap can pass DC just as well as AC (e.g. - caps used on car stereos amps are charged with, store, and discharge 12vdc).

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor
A booster cap (audio amplifier type) is hooked up in PARALLEL, if you hook it up in Series, you will not pass DC. In Parallel, it will STORE electric potential and release it like a battery. In fact there are batteries out there that are nothing more than "Supper Caps".

When used in radio and audio, you use a cap to pass AC currents (Radio or Audio Frequency), as in an RF blocker or a "Bass Buster" cap to save your door speakers from low freqs that will over heat the voice coil. (The size of the cap deturmines what freqs will pass and which won't) If you want to block DC you use an Inductor or coil.