Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

I took out the catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 03:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took out the catalytic converter

sup guys i just took out my cats today and there is no check engine light. i installed proto-typed straight pipes and waiting to get it dynoed next weekend on the first of march. we took pics of the install and now waiting for them to get developed.
gruppe-s has the pipes for sale now that they know it fits. well just write or pm me for more info on removing the cats.

Old 02-22-2003, 04:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: I took out the catalytic converter

Now this is a real performance upgrade!! And you don't have to smog your car for 4 years!! How does the car sound? Hopefully not too loud.

My Z has 3" piping all the down to the exhaust muffler with no cats. And it sounds like a beast compared to other Zs in my area...

Hopefully you should see great results after the dyno test. Post it once you get them!

Old 02-22-2003, 04:07 AM

yeah the factory exhaust is much louder now, but im still waiting for the nismo weldina to get ported next weekend. well i will post the dyno so i can show what i gained.

Old 02-22-2003, 01:16 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What about seat of the pants difference? Can you notice the increase h/p to the wheels? [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>Gsedanman</font color=red>

Old 02-22-2003, 01:26 PM

what i noticed was the car responds faster and you can smell a whole lot of excess fuel. i dont know yet if it gained hp or not till i dyno it next weekend i will post up my dyno

Old 02-22-2003, 01:33 PM

Taking off the cats are a big 'no no' [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] Not only are you poluting the earth, but putting out excessive noise. Good luck with emissions testing if there are any in your area. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It's still a G thang!!

Old 02-22-2003, 01:40 PM

Of course, the political purpose of the catalytic converter was to get the original VW Beetle out of the American market. Emissions was just a side benefit. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 02-22-2003, 02:42 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, Rumble, You have no chance to pass emissions testing, and if you're stopped by one of those pollution police and he sees no cats you're in deep, deep poop. [img]/w3timages/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Another factor is that it would probably be easy to sniff out someone who doesn't have working cats in their car. Just like some of the old cars that stink when you're stuck behind them.That's apart from the extra noise.
What I was wondering was how restrictive the stock exhaust is. My guess is not too restrictive. But that will show up in his dyno results.
I'm guessing maybe 10-15 ponies. We'll see. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
L8r dude,

<font color=red>Gsedanman</font color=red>

Old 02-23-2003, 01:51 AM

hey i dont have to worry about emissions till 4 years later so all i have to do is put the cats back on before i get it smogged. who cares about the polution we're all gonna die anyways haha as long as i can go faster i dont care haha. well the good thing is its been 100 miles since i took out the cats and theres still no problems. it does sound more aggressive now so yay!!!!
i never knew the factory exhaust was made by nissan carlsonic, they are the people that make the exhaust for lamans cars and f1 cars check it out if you dont believe me its stamped on the mufflers of the coupes

Old 02-23-2003, 02:24 AM

how loud is it without the cat?? can you make a .wav?

..pestilence..

Old 02-23-2003, 02:44 AM

Yup, Nissan is strong with Calsonic. I noticed a lot of stock parts on my Z are from them.

Old 02-23-2003, 04:22 AM

hey pest the exhaust sounds loud you have to hear it to believe it. my friend followed me in his S2k and he said its hella loud. the one thing i noticed gain in is mid-range torque. i was goin around 60mph and i gunned it and i felt more pull and i was in automatic mode. well to prove it the shop has pics of my cats out and i have the cats in my room. there is a bay area g35 meet on the 8th so im sure they will take pics of my car. you just have to wait for first hand accounts from the meet on how loud it is.

Old 02-23-2003, 04:43 AM

Uh... loud isn't necessarily good =/ I like a reserved growl that turns into a roar upon acceleration, not a constant roar that becomes deafening when you floor it. I'm just curious about the power gains =)

~Berj

Old 02-23-2003, 11:52 AM

then this mod isn't for me. I'm over the loud exhaust. If you do like loud, is this a good loud? Or does it sound like something rattling around in a tin can?

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I took out the catalytic converter