Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Why not get the Xerd headers instead of cats?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why not get the Xerd headers instead of cats?

I have the xerd headers, waiting to install them when the weather breaks. These headers replace the factory cats and add 20hp to the wheels. Why is everyone getting high flow cats that dont really do much for performance? I know headers are more expensive, but definitely a more much beneficial mod. Just wondering. Does anyone have these headers on their g. Someone must.

Old 03-15-2004, 12:50 AM
Re: Why not get the Xerd headers instead of cats?

Hey I have these headers on my Sedan, and they are GREAT.

Don't listen to the people who don't like them. Sure, they are not 100% equal length, and one bend on each header has a slightly jointed bend, but other then that, they are awesome.

Cost wise, I chose them because I did not want to drop 1700 on Crawford or Nismo headers and RT cats, when XERD headers gain almost as much, if not more.

As far as them not being street legal, they are FULLY ILLEGAL, except in Florida (no cats required). But, use this logic. What kind of cop is going to bend under a damn g35 to see if it has cats on it. Its not a riced out civic or something racy like a lancer evo.

Also, prepare to get your ECU tuned. I have to do that yet, and am running lean. You will get a power gain, but not much till its tuned. Good luck!

*** 2003 G35s 5a/t / Pearl White ***

Old 03-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

Any exhaust mod that eliminates or replaces the stock cat's, even with one's that would pass a emission's test are 100% illegal, you cannot say the Xerd headers are FULLY LEGAL, because Fedal emissions law says they are illegal, in all 50 states.

Here is the letter of the law on when you can replace a oem converter and for what reason. Test pipes or headers that eliminate the converters are 100% illegal according to the feds. (I'm just telling the law, not saying anything else, I don't have a position on do or don't).

www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

"If the vehicle is more than 5 years old or has more than 50,000 miles. (8 years/80,000 miles on 1995 and never vehicles). and a legitimate need for replacement has been established and appropriately documented (e.g., a plugged converter or unrepairable exhaust leaks)."

"Aftermarket converters subject to the enforcement policy requirements cannot be used for replacement if:"

(1) "the existing converter is present and functioning properly."

The penalties for violation of the above are up to $2,500 per person.

That being said, no other header has made more power off the dyno than the Xerd header. However, several of the headers have shown up in the market place at my350z.com because their owners have not cared for the sound quality they got after the install. Yet another example of how important it is to run a search on that forum and read what has been posted by owners of that part or system your interested in. Everyone's different, and what you or I may not notice sound wise, can be the other guys, "Oh god I can't stand the noise".

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 03-15-2004, 02:15 PM

"(1) "the existing converter is present and functioning properly."

How can a cop prove you didn't ruin your stock cats by lets say, bottoming out and puncturing them?

Old 03-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Why cats instead of headers you ask?

I don't feel like paying money for a part I'm not going to be using within a year.

*hint* F/I *hint* :P

2003.5 6MT Premium Black Coupe//6-wire G.kit//Al. pedals//PIAA//Borla TD Exhaust//Z-tube//JWT Pop-charger//RT cats

Old 03-15-2004, 05:47 PM

Gsedan35 (Gfreak)
03/15/04 09:32 AM

Any exhaust mod that eliminates or replaces the stock cat's, even with one's that would pass a emission's test are 100% illegal, you cannot say the Xerd headers are FULLY LEGAL, because Fedal emissions law says they are illegal, in all 50 states.

ummm... if you read slightly more carefully, you will notice I said FULLY ILLEGAL. cats are not required in florida (so i've heard). thanks for looking up the state laws though... haha.

Old 03-15-2004, 08:33 PM

That's the federal standard, as in all 50 states. Every state in the union require's cats. Not all states have emission's testing.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Trending Topics

Old 03-16-2004, 10:07 AM

thanks for the replies, gsedan35. i have the borla exhaust. just wondering how it is going to sound with the headers. i always wanted the exhaust to be a bit louder. and do i have to get a new ecu? like the technosquares. if i have to do that to gain any performance, maybe i will just get the cats, and sell my headers.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:39 PM

lolz, buying something without even knowing what it is. good luck selling them. you'll net a good 5-600 bucks at most. 350evo sells them for 750 brand new (from an authorized retailer).

Old 03-19-2004, 09:45 AM

thanx for the reply anzwhatever, but headers are headers, and i have probably owned more cars than your age. and since they are still in the box, i can send them back to the dealer for no loss minuse a shipping charge. once again, thanx for the input.

Old 03-19-2004, 01:06 PM

if you've owned more cars then my age... then most of those cars must have been pretty pathetic. lolz please don't go ahead and list all of them like a little internet flamer.

Old 03-19-2004, 01:33 PM

Well, I have to say, (trying to walk the line of being helpfull). headers are not just headers on this platform. If you can return the your borla headers and only suffer a shipping cost lose, by all means do that. They are a header design that does not contain enough design elements that let them gain power over the oem exhaust manifolds. Plus adding on $340 minimum to install them adds insult to injury.

Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 03-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoa whoa, back to the Xerd Headers though. for sure they will not pass a smog correct? and how bad is the smell from the back? lets say that if i had them on my sedan with my stillen true dual, and a copper decides to stand behind my car while i rev it, will he be able to tell? let say that this cop knows a little something about cars too. not too much, but a "lil sum sum".

G35S 6MT
Technosquare ECU
350Z Springs & Struts
JWT popcharger + Z-tube
Stillen True Dual Exhaust
6-wire ground kit

Old 03-19-2004, 02:51 PM

okay i'm sorry vgrani, i was being a little immature.

but, i was just trying to give you some positive feedback on a product you already bought, instead of just blatantly listing the state laws like a cop would do (which i'm sure you already know of the laws).

if you want to be legal, i believe that most the headers are illegal unless you have a carb number. (can someone verify this or deny? i don't know exhaust manifold mod laws)... if you want quality, get the nismo or crawford. the borlas do not gain HP and are a waste of money. the stillen headers gain a decent amount too.

and btw, its almost imposible to see the catalytic converters from underneath a lowered g35 unless its on a lift, or you have a mirror or a really small head. pretty much all you see is the couple o2 sensors hanging from the headers in the same place they hang from the cats (i.e., looking stock, except what they are connected too, if you can see it).

my car is only lowered about 1.5" and with my nismo side skirts, i can barely see the bottom edge of the headers.

but it seems clear that you do not want to put these on your car... if you have this much doubt, don't do it.