Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Where's the BEEF?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Where's the BEEF?

I have been searching and combing through this forum and I am frustrated. I cannot find any intake dyno testing in this forum. I keeping going through topic after topic and all I find is:

1) The group that say they do nothing for engine volumetric efficiency, they just alter the sound.

2) The group that claim they "should" provide engine performance increases

3) And finally the group that claims intake A is better that intake B.

Where is the evidence? Lets post up some dyno charts. Preferably 3rd party dynos and not manufacturer dynos, but anything will do. This is the Infiniti G crowd, surely everyone dynos each and every modification. Sorry had to throw that one out there, because I continue to see that, "you drive a G35 statement, so money is no object" attitude.

And please no "best" statements, as "best" has not definition. I would rate in intake on the following categories:

Aethetics
Quality
Reliability
Performance
Price
and Availability

If a list of available intakes was presented and evidence was submitted to support these categories for the different intakes, that would probably eliminate 30% of the topics proposed in this forum.

What do you say? Can we start something?

Obviously I am on the market for an intake myself. Specifically, I am looking for a "test-bed" intake to run some testing for our BPI FLow Stack on the VQ. We just recieved some very positive results from a shop in Canada on the VQ (ie. 350Z) and I am looking to arrange some 3rd party testing here in Houston TX. Test will be performed on stock 05 6MT, against "aftermarket" intake, against "aftermarket" intake with BPI Flow Stack.

My decision now is trying to make an educated decision on an intake, and I can find little information to make that decision.

Please help!

Old 02-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by BryanPendleton
I have been searching and combing through this forum and I am frustrated. I cannot find any intake dyno testing in this forum. I keeping going through topic after topic and all I find is:

1) The group that say they do nothing for engine volumetric efficiency, they just alter the sound.

2) The group that claim they "should" provide engine performance increases

3) And finally the group that claims intake A is better that intake B.

Where is the evidence? Lets post up some dyno charts. Preferably 3rd party dynos and not manufacturer dynos, but anything will do. This is the Infiniti G crowd, surely everyone dynos each and every modification. Sorry had to throw that one out there, because I continue to see that, "you drive a G35 statement, so money is no object" attitude.

And please no "best" statements, as "best" has not definition. I would rate in intake on the following categories:

Aethetics
Quality
Reliability
Performance
Price
and Availability

If a list of available intakes was presented and evidence was submitted to support these categories for the different intakes, that would probably eliminate 30% of the topics proposed in this forum.

What do you say? Can we start something?

Obviously I am on the market for an intake myself. Specifically, I am looking for a "test-bed" intake to run some testing for our BPI FLow Stack on the VQ. We just recieved some very positive results from a shop in Canada on the VQ (ie. 350Z) and I am looking to arrange some 3rd party testing here in Houston TX. Test will be performed on stock 05 6MT, against "aftermarket" intake, against "aftermarket" intake with BPI Flow Stack.

My decision now is trying to make an educated decision on an intake, and I can find little information to make that decision.

Please help!
Hi Bryan,

There are dynos of them posted here but yes, it will be hard to find inside because of the billion posts you would need to search through.

I've seen the plots posted but it was a long time ago. For the most part, intakes really are only sound modifiers.

I like the Stillen and Pop charger but wouldn't recommend the long tube CAI's.

What ever you get make sure its not the type that has the filter sitting naked in the engine compartment without a heat shield.

Ingestion of hot air loses about 10-15 HP.