Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)
View Poll Results: Which HFC will give me the loudest stock exhaust tone?
Stillen
7.94%
Fast Intentions
67.46%
Crawford
24.60%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

High Flow Cat's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 05:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 For crawford HFC's.its a Great Product with great service. Also in addition its gotten through both smog sniffer test and the San Diego Police departments anti mod squad visual inspection. the F.I's definantly would not have passed and they did check.

Old 02-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by FastIntentions
I really have no desire to bash Crawford or any other competitor in any way. If I was you I would see which brand has the best track record as far as cracking or warranty issues. That should clear a lot up for you. Then you might have an easier decision to make from that point on...

Thanks, Tony
Thanks for your response... the only cracking issue I remember finding in my research was on the Zs with Nismo exhaust. And since then the brackets that are provided have eliminated the cracking... but on non-Nismo exhausts I haven’t found a history of cracking. I happen to have a sedan and can't remember reading any cracking problems.

To clarify though, I wasn’t really asking you to bash a competitor, I was just hoping to read about benefits to FI over Crawford. This should be able to come across without bashing - unless there are no real benefits?

Old 02-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
I would like to see how the stillen HFC's perform. They look like they are of good quality materials.

-Sean

Old 02-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
I would like to see how the stillen HFC's perform. They look like they are of good quality materials.

-Sean
Unless they have changed, they use RT (Random Technology) cats - there have been several reports of the failing (collapsing)... they may have addressed this by now though?

Old 02-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
Unless they have changed, they use RT (Random Technology) cats - there have been several reports of the failing (collapsing)... they may have addressed this by now though?
Stillen sold random tech cats, but never put stillens name on them. So things technically haven't changed at all as the stillen HFC's are a completely new product.

-Sean

Old 02-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
Stillen sold random tech cats, but never put stillens name on them. So things technically haven't changed at all as the stillen HFC's are a completely new product.

-Sean
hmmm... I just looked at the ones they now have on their website: http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...odel=G35%204DR

They do appear to be different from the RT's in the 07 paper catalog... Maybe they are making their own now?...

Old 02-17-2008, 02:40 PM
hmmm... I just looked at the ones they now have on their website: http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...odel=G35%204DR

They do appear to be different from the RT's in the 07 paper catalog... Maybe they are making their own now?...
I emailed them...i will get a responce by tuesday and i will post it up.

-Sean

Old 02-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
would an engine torque damper like Stillen resolve?... If not, please expound...
I don't think it would. I am assuming that they are they to reduce the chance of any movement of the cats/exhaust under the car incase you happen to bottom out on something. They seem to add a fair bit of stability under the car and I think in case something does happen, like bottoming out on a rough road, some piece of debris hitting the cats under the car, then the last thing you want is stress placed against the exhaust manifold and ripping out the manifold from the block.

This is my own personal opinon, obviously everyone on here can make their own decisions, personally, I'm not going to add cats that don't have that bracket.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by FastIntentions
Trust me when I say this. You don't need the mounting brackets. It is extra dead weight. I wouldn't steer you in the wrong direction. If you have our exhaust then finish the deal and add the High Flow Cats, you won't be disappointed. Do it right and you only have to do it once...

Tony
Sorry Tony - not without those brackets. Here is an example of what I'm talking about that has been documented a number of times on various honda sites and I personally witnessed happen to my friends 99 accord 4 cyl. The exhaust manifold on the accords have a bracket similar to our cat bracket on the manifold which is secured to the frame of the car. Most of the aftermarket headers don't have this bracket. My buddy changed out his manifold to a DC sports stainless (really nice looking BTW). Anyway, that bracket wasn't there and everything worked fine for about a year until we all went to a cottage. The yard where we all parked had a few fairly low stumps. He was backing up, and didn't see the stump, the exhaust tip caught on the stump, and literally shifted the entire exhaust forward while the car was backing up. End result was that the exhaust hangers flexed as you would expect and the entire exhaust manifold was pulled out from the block of the car. I guess technically you don't need them and I'm sure everything will be fine unless you run into something like this.

Now don't say "don't drive your G to a cottage" because that's not the point. I think they are a failsafe feature to help prevent damage for the circumstances you don't expect. Anyway, that is my story and why I'll stick with the stock cats or pick up a set that has those brackets.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by elrooko
I don't think it would. I am assuming that they are they to reduce the chance of any movement of the cats/exhaust under the car incase you happen to bottom out on something. They seem to add a fair bit of stability under the car and I think in case something does happen, like bottoming out on a rough road, some piece of debris hitting the cats under the car, then the last thing you want is stress placed against the exhaust manifold and ripping out the manifold from the block.

This is my own personal opinon, obviously everyone on here can make their own decisions, personally, I'm not going to add cats that don't have that bracket.
my mentioning of if it was to the response by DaveB, which I interpreted to mean trq from motor (maybe I missed his point?)

Originally Posted by DaveB
Because they keep NVH down and keep the torquing loads on the exhaust down. The purpose of the bracket is not to support the weight of the OEM cats. It's to limit movement.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:01 PM
my mentioning of if it was to the response by DaveB, which I interpreted to mean trq from motor (maybe I missed his point?)

I think your idea is correct. Torque from the motor would also be of a concern, but I think the point I mentioned above is the really reason why this bracket is important.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:38 PM
brb getting cut
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont mean to hiijack but....

Tony - is it possible to make one of your intimidator exhausts with tips like the dominator exhaust?

Old 02-17-2008, 07:48 PM
here is a clip I found of the FI HFC's on a coupe w\ stock exhaust, sound sick if you ask me.. I want some now

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZwi5s78n2g&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZwi5s78n2g&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Old 02-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by elrooko
I think your idea is correct. Torque from the motor would also be of a concern, but I think the point I mentioned above is the really reason why this bracket is important.
I don't discredit your point at all... in fact in may be more useful for that purpose than the trq load... but to the point of trq, I think the engine damper would be as useful for that purpose. In all reality if there were that much torque/twisting force being placed on the cats & exhaust I would definitely want the damper... I'm not so sure so much force is actually happening though.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:52 PM
teamsolo.net im-integline
i just got some HFC's from FI and man the car sounds and runs great!!!!

I would highly recommend you taking your car to them and let them build the cats the way you want.

here is my 37 with the HFC;s and FI catback LOVE IT as did all the others

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: High Flow Cat's