Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

STILLEN vs. FAST INTENTIONS vs. FUJITSUBO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Modified Dave
Gotta disagree on this, given my own experience with the Stillen exhaust on my '06 G35 M6. Here's the dyno graph comparing the stock exhaust vs the Stillen exhaust.

Maximum gains were 13 lb-ft of torque and 12 horsepower at 4400rpm, with peak gains of 8.5whp at 6300rpm and 8wtq at 4900rpm. The exhaust note is slightly deeper and more aggressive than stock but it's a mild upgrade in terms of sound...it just enhances that unmistakably VQ growl a bit and there’s zero resonance or other sound intrusion while cruising on the highway. I'm very very happy with this system, plus it fits perfectly. The welds are not JDM tight yO, they are MIG welds done by hand in the good old US of A, but it's full stainless and all the parts that show (mufflers and tips) have been polished to a mirror shine, so it looks just as good on the car as any other system. But for me, the most important part is the performance and on power gains this system is top notch IMO.

Here's a few pics of the system on my G...

How are you disagreeing? I'm pretty sure he meant aftermarket exhausts' gains are negligible when compared to one another (particularly true dual setups), not when compared to stock.

I don't think anyone would dispute that aftermarket exhausts give gains over stock.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueDevilBAMF
How are you disagreeing? I'm pretty sure he meant aftermarket exhausts' gains are negligible when compared to one another (particularly true dual setups), not when compared to stock.

I don't think anyone would dispute that aftermarket exhausts give gains over stock.
+1, thats the way I read it

Old 02-12-2008, 10:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
in that case, my bad! Thought he was saying Stillen exhausts make negligible power over stock.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:06 PM
in that case, my bad! Thought he was saying Stillen exhausts make negligible power over stock.
It's all good... thanks for the dyno! (although I can't see the graph or the pics for some reason). Always good to see more proof of gains - what other modifications did you have at that time?

Old 02-12-2008, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jaysonz35
how does the fast intentions exhaust exhaust note compared to stock or stillen? louder? about the same?
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ynGrmuEj5qI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ynGrmuEj5qI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Old 02-12-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Drtybrd61
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ynGrmuEj5qI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ynGrmuEj5qI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Try getting THAT sound from a Stillen haha

Old 02-12-2008, 10:51 PM
That does sound NICE Stillen is definitely quite a bit more mellow than that. Just depends if you want a bolder sound or not. For me, I drive 150km round-trip to work 5 times a week, so I need the car to be very civilized, especially with the cops around here looking to write tickets for loud exhausts.

I'll have to take a video of the exhaust note next time I'm at the dyno. When that dyno test was done, there were no other power mods on the car. Added a Stillen intake and Motordyne 5/16'' spacer and MREV2 afterwards, which also produced some nice gains. Overall added 25 whp and wtq with as much a 40 wtq picked up in the midrange, thanks in large part to the MREV2.

Anyone else having trouble seeing the pics? I'm using htuner.com (a Honda site...LOL) to host the images, but I'll move them somewhere else if you guys aren't able to see them. They're showing up fine on my machine.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 for Stillen, i have them on my 07 6MT and i'm very happy with the product.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My buddy's got a fuji and it's so quiet that you wouldn't even know it's there until you see the big exhaust tips. Personally..a little too quiet for my tastes, but it looks awesome. Out of the 3 I would say FI is the best sounding, but a little dull looking. I would get the ti tips option if you're planning on going FI.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
That does sound NICE Stillen is definitely quite a bit more mellow than that. Just depends if you want a bolder sound or not. For me, I drive 150km round-trip to work 5 times a week, so I need the car to be very civilized, especially with the cops around here looking to write tickets for loud exhausts.

I'll have to take a video of the exhaust note next time I'm at the dyno. When that dyno test was done, there were no other power mods on the car. Added a Stillen intake and Motordyne 5/16'' spacer and MREV2 afterwards, which also produced some nice gains. Overall added 25 whp and wtq with as much a 40 wtq picked up in the midrange, thanks in large part to the MREV2.

Anyone else having trouble seeing the pics? I'm using htuner.com (a Honda site...LOL) to host the images, but I'll move them somewhere else if you guys aren't able to see them. They're showing up fine on my machine.
I can't see them either. Use photobucket.com, i think that is what we are all using.

As for the gains...you have nice gains. I need to have my car dynoed to see where it is at. You and i have pretty much the same mods and seem to have seen the biggest increase in power compared to others. I ran a 13.8 with just my intake exhaust and spacer, which is pretty damn good. Weather was nothing special either.

-Sean

Old 02-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks Sean. Switched the images over to Photobucket. Let me know if you can view them now (on page 2). Good to know my power gains aren't out of the ordinary with the mods I've chosen. Coming up next are Stillen headers, ATI crank pulley, maybe some other pulleys, maybe a Technosquare reflash since the throttle-by-wire laziness is a serious PITA, and definitely a Haltech Platinum ECU upgrade so I can play around with fuel, ignition, and cam timing. I think the combo of a Technosquare reflash for the revised throttle-by-wire and the Haltech for a totally custom tune including cam timing should yield some solid gains. Will find out soon and post the results up here once they go to print in the mag

Last edited by Modified Dave; 02-13-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Dave - the images are up and lookin' good

Old 02-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Thanks Sean. Switched the images over to Photobucket. Let me know if you can view them now (on page 2). Good to know my power gains aren't out of the ordinary with the mods I've chosen. Coming up next are Stillen headers, ATI crank pulley, maybe some other pulleys, maybe a Technosquare reflash since the throttle-by-wire laziness is a serious PITA, and definitely a Haltech Platinum ECU upgrade so I can play around with fuel, ignition, and cam timing. I think the combo of a Technosquare reflash for the revised throttle-by-wire and the Haltech for a totally custom tune including cam timing should yield some solid gains. Will find out soon and post the results up here once they go to print in the mag
you might want to consider UpRev's Osiris to accomplish this task in one shot.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Osiris looks like an amazing product, but I don't think it allows for changes to cam timing, which is what interests me most about the Haltech unit (as does is flexibility and resolution for tuning fuel and ignition). I want to see how much power I can get out of the stock cams with changes to cam timing using the Haltech, which no other system can do right now as far as I know. My suspicion is, like a lot of the factory ECU tuning on the VQ's, that the cam timing is very conservative.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Osiris looks like an amazing product, but I don't think it allows for changes to cam timing, which is what interests me most about the Haltech unit (as does is flexibility and resolution for tuning fuel and ignition). I want to see how much power I can get out of the stock cams with changes to cam timing using the Haltech, which no other system can do right now as far as I know. My suspicion is, like a lot of the factory ECU tuning on the VQ's, that the cam timing is very conservative.
From what I read in the 700+ Osiris page over at my350z.com, Osiris does allow a tuner to change cam timing. There's even a twin turbo'd running just the osiris as its EMS...but its still in testing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: STILLEN vs. FAST INTENTIONS vs. FUJITSUBO