Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Damaged y-pipe and stock exhaust components, what to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 02:44 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damaged y-pipe and stock exhaust components, what to do?

My car is slow lowered that I scrape and bump everywhere yeah sucks, anyway that's going to be another thread about my suspension problems/questions.

But anyway took it into Infiniti today and I was told that the following items are damaged (looked at them myself and they are) So any suggestions if I should buy the items aftermarket what brands are the best to buy also any better alternatives, basically i'm looking for the best set-up I can possibly have, weather it means to purchase a whole exhaust system or just some parts.
Anyway here is the list.

1. Pre-Muffler (Resiator) Part #: 20300HM800
2. Cross Member Part#: 74870AM800
3. Y-Pipe Part#: 20020AM666

I hear people talking about race pipes, do these replace the Y-pipe?
Also Infiniti is trying to sell me the Y-pipe for $1779 which obviously I can purchase a whole new system for about the same price if not a lot less depending on brand.

What do you guys think? Buy whole new system or just purchase aftermarket y-pipe and pre muffler pipe?

Old 02-14-2008, 03:06 AM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
I scraped everything too, so i know how it is. DO NOT buy stock parts in my opinions, waste of money, unless your going to sell the car soon or something. I suggest in my opinion a Fast Intentions Exhaust system, and it also depends on your budget too, there also systems that are cheaper and would still be preferred over the stock, no point going back to stock.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:14 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by G35Rider92649
I scraped everything too, so i know how it is. DO NOT buy stock parts in my opinions, waste of money, unless your going to sell the car soon or something. I suggest in my opinion a Fast Intentions Exhaust system, and it also depends on your budget too, there also systems that are cheaper and would still be preferred over the stock, no point going back to stock.
Well the car is a lease but i might end up keeping it at the end of the lease anyway if not it's all bolt on stuff that i can easily take off and replace with oem.
But anyway if I do go with an exhaust system its going to be between FI, Fuji, and Stillen.
BUT That's what I'm saying I'm not sure if I should just buy aftermarket y-pipe and aftermarket pre-muffler piping and call it a day or just go out and get the entire exhaust system.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:44 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Element G35
I hear people talking about race pipes, do these replace the Y-pipe?
Race pipes... I'm guessing they're talking about test pipes which are basically just piping, maybe resonated, that replaces the catalytic converters.

What do you guys think? Buy whole new system or just purchase aftermarket y-pipe and pre muffler pipe?
IMO, either buy used from another member here or buy an aftermarket exhaust system. If you buy aftermarket and you decide to trade in at the end of your lease, you should be able find someone who will want your exhaust for their stock plus cash.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:05 AM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Well the car is a lease but i might end up keeping it at the end of the lease anyway if not it's all bolt on stuff that i can easily take off and replace with oem.
But anyway if I do go with an exhaust system its going to be between FI, Fuji, and Stillen.
BUT That's what I'm saying I'm not sure if I should just buy aftermarket y-pipe and aftermarket pre-muffler piping and call it a day or just go out and get the entire exhaust system.
I believe the Fuji is not a full cat-back system and you would have to buy a y-pipe, Stillen IMO is not worth it and its not that much of a amazing sound, I've been through 3 different exhaust systems, spent thousands and now settled with a F.I Exhaust, It is a full cat-back exhaust system, I believe it has a X-Pipe on it and sounds great! Bang for your bucs

Old 02-15-2008, 03:49 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by G35Rider92649
I believe the Fuji is not a full cat-back system and you would have to buy a y-pipe, Stillen IMO is not worth it and its not that much of a amazing sound, I've been through 3 different exhaust systems, spent thousands and now settled with a F.I Exhaust, It is a full cat-back exhaust system, I believe it has a X-Pipe on it and sounds great! Bang for your bucs

Yeah I've heard a lot on FI and I'm leaning towards them too, BUT on the other hand I've only heard FI with either high flow cats on it or engine having an mrev2 or spacers and i know those enhance the sound, all I have on mine is a z-tube...So I don't know if mine would sound so NICE on a "stock" car. Also I'm afraid that it might get annoying in the future, I want something quiet during normal driving and idle, and for it to sound semi-loud at WOT.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:05 AM
Banned
You guys don't think I should just purchase a used or new Y-pipe from somewhere for $100-$500 and call it a day?

Will purchasing an after market y-pipe change the sound of my exhaust noticeably?