Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Motordyne - Tony

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
is the dual shockwave going to be interchangeable with the VQ exhaust?

Also, here is a link for those wondering about what the current ebay cash back percent is. This is updated as the percent changes, I would bookmark this

Current Ebay/Microsoft live cash back amount

The percent changes at random...just 2 days ago i purchased something with 30% cashback.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by viceversa
is the dual shockwave going to be interchangeable with the VQ exhaust?

Also, here is a link for those wondering about what the current ebay cash back percent is. This is updated as the percent changes, I would bookmark this

Current Ebay/Microsoft live cash back amount

The percent changes at random...just 2 days ago i purchased something with 30% cashback.
Yes.

The XYZ and associated module work for either.
The mid pipe for the VQ would have to change out for the single mid pipe.

And the passenger side of the dual Shockwave or even the dual Harakiri can clamp onto that same single mid pipe to make a single exhaust.

An important thing to note is that the V-band clamp flanges for the single and dual all have the exact same position and angle to keep the highest degree of interchangeability among the systems.

I can't imagine anyone would want to do it but you could even have half of the dual system as Shockwave and the other half as Harakiri. But at least the parts you buy for the dual system are interchangeable with the single system.

It will do this for the G35 and 350Z systems. The titanium tips are also adjustable so it will work on either car.

There is also a Y-pipe extension (adapter) for the G35. It works just like the other Y-pipe extensions but it works solely on V-band clamps. No bolts, heavy inflexible flanges or gaskets to blow out.

V-band clamps are vastly superior to the regular flange and bolt style.
They don't leak, they won't blow out and will keep a water/air tight metal to metal seal that can be used over and over indefinitely.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
hmm ok, for some reason i was under the impression that the dual shockwave would use the same midpipe as the single shockwave and VQ, but just had dual rear section for better looks on the G.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tony, so for all out performance what would you recommend? single or dual? which systems combined?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:07 PM
How much would the systems be if you already have an xyz pipe?

Thanks

Old 12-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Tony,

idea... okay, since a pretty big percentage of the 1st Gen sedan owners already have the Stillen DP; i was wondering if, you could make a Ti rear section that was compatible??? i'd love you forever, LOL. i'm sure many others would be VERY interested as well.

thanks,

~MaRk~

Old 12-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
hmm ok, for some reason i was under the impression that the dual shockwave would use the same midpipe as the single shockwave and VQ, but just had dual rear section for better looks on the G.
No, there are dual midpipes and a single midpipe.

There are also other variations of single and dual coming out for more sounds and applications.

The Axle back parts (or rear muffler setions) will always have commonality of the flange angles and locations... Single or dual. The parts will also be 3" inlet in all applications. NA or FI, Single or Dual, they will always be 3".

Yes, this system may be confusing in the beginning (its not like anything else on the market) but as more and more of the systems emerge, the logic, reason and the advantages breaking away from the traditional confines of exhaust system manufacturing will become clear.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 12-05-2008 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by JusG35c
How much would the systems be if you already have an xyz pipe?

Thanks
Because the system will be separated into three separate parts to maximize the Microsoft cashback opportunity.

1) The XYZ and its associated modules will be will be sold as its own set. You won't even need to purchase an XYZ if you already have an aftermarket Y-pipe or even a stock Y-pipe. In your case, you already have the XYZ with resonator so you don't need to purchase it again. So you can skip this cost all together.

2) The second part of the set - The Midpipe section weather it be a single or dual will also be sold individually. If you want a Motordyne exhaust, you will have to purchase this section because it only connects to other Motordyne rear muffler sections.

3) The last of the 3 sections - The rear muffler section weather it be straight pipes, Shockwave Stainless mufflers or Harakiri Titanium mufflers will be sold as another package.

What ever combination you want, it will be shipped together.

There will be a billion questions as to how this all works and I will be here to answer your questions and I will help you optimize a system to your needs.

Make your questions public because many people may be asking themselves the same thing.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 12-05-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
PS I'll get the pictures uploaded tonight or tomorrow.

They are phenomenal!

Old 12-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
no wonder why it took so long, that explaination cleared some thing up finally, can't wait to see ALL of the pictures.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
The Dual Shockwave doesn't look or sound the same as the single.

The Dual has titanium tips. The sound is a little quieter and deeper than the single.
Well, that sounds about perfect!

Old 12-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
EDIT:

I forgot to mention. Yes, there is also that version too. And it costs quite a bit less than the dual because it uses the single midpipe and splits out to two in the rear muffler section.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Originally Posted by SDGenius
Tony,

idea... okay, since a pretty big percentage of the 1st Gen sedan owners already have the Stillen DP; i was wondering if, you could make a Ti rear section that was compatible??? i'd love you forever, LOL. i'm sure many others would be VERY interested as well.

thanks,

~MaRk~
c'mon Tony...

Old 12-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
PM'd

Old 12-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by fluffy
tony, so for all out performance what would you recommend? single or dual? which systems combined?
Dyno performance - For the most part it doesn't matter if its single or dual as long as it is all done correctly.

A properly designed Y dynos the same as a properly designed X.

So it comes down to the merge collector. In this case, it is the XYZ. XYZ is the common factor in all MD exhaust systems. (The only exception being the dual 3" exhaust.)

There is a significant difference in sound between a X and Y pipe. More will be released for a range of different sounds.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Motordyne - Tony