Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Motordyne - Tony

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
A total uneducated guess but for that rocket style expanded exhaust tip to function wouldn't two things have to be happening?
1) In order to increase velocity, the opening has to be necked down right before the expansion
2) For expansion/flow, wouldn't the gasses have to be increasing in temp vs decreasing at the end of the exhaust pipe?
Right on Jeff!

You're in the right ball park, but you're thinking of a DeLaval nozzle. A diffuser is/does the exact opposite of a DeLaval nozzle even though they look similar.

A DeLaval nozzle (or rocket nozzle) speeds up the exhaust plume, decreases temperature, decreases static pressure and increases dynamic pressure. A DeLaval nozzle relies on the principle of adiabatic expansion.
Conversely, a diffuser slows down the exhaust plume, increases static temperature, increases static pressure and decreases dynamic pressure. A diffuser relies on the principle of adiabatic compression.

In this case, it is the decrease in dynamic pressure that is advantageous. Rather than wasting energy as a blast of high velocity gas out the exhaust tip, the diffuser slows it down before venting to atmosphere.

The conservation of kinetic energy (or RhoV^2/2G) means the engine can push out the exhaust gas with less resistance. Thus less pressure drop and better performance.

Maybe I'm making it more technical than it needs to be, but I'm not one pass up advantageous engineering techniques.

---

Edit: If automotive exhaust systems were designed and built by Boeing Rocketdyne, they would be doing the same thing.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 05-15-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:57 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Right on Jeff!

You're in the right ball park, but you're thinking of a DeLaval nozzle. A diffuser is/does the exact opposite of a DeLaval nozzle even though they look similar.

A DeLaval nozzle (or rocket nozzle) speeds up the exhaust plume, decreases temperature, decreases static pressure and increases dynamic pressure. A DeLaval nozzle relies on the principle of adiabatic expansion.
Conversely, a diffuser slows down the exhaust plume, increases static temperature, increases static pressure and decreases dynamic pressure. A diffuser relies on the principle of adiabatic compression.

In this case, it is the decrease in dynamic pressure that is advantageous. Rather than wasting energy as a blast of high velocity gas out the exhaust tip, the diffuser slows it down before venting to atmosphere.

The conservation of kinetic energy (or RhoV^2/2G) means the engine can push out the exhaust gas with less resistance. Thus less pressure drop and better performance.

Maybe I'm making it more technical than it needs to be, but I'm not one pass up advantageous engineering techniques.

---

Edit: If automotive exhaust systems were designed and built by Boeing Rocketdyne, they would be doing the same thing.
I know you've completed beta-testing... but If you need a sedan for final production let me know...

I presume sedan is part of the production line... I'm wondering how much different it is though - tips like the pic will never fit (will they?)

Old 05-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Right on Jeff!

---

Tony, I got one of these shirts with your name on it!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Drewer
Tony, I got one of these shirts with your name on it!

that would be awesome with MD's logo!!! Instead of "precision" it can say "performance precision" (or just performance)...

Old 05-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you give us any updates on your new exhaust yet???

Old 05-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
One of my suppliers said he was running behind by 2 weeks so its scheduled to arrive June 15. At that point production starts.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:32 PM
One of my suppliers said he was running behind by 2 weeks so its scheduled to arrive June 15. At that point production starts.
woohoo! When do you think it'll be added to your site so people can start ordering?

Old 05-23-2008, 03:51 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Right on Jeff!

---

E equals M C Squared

Old 05-23-2008, 08:13 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by lekker_droom
woohoo! When do you think it'll be added to your site so people can start ordering?
Setting up the website to take orders will be another project, but I'll just start things up on the forums. Release will be an evolving process.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Setting up the website to take orders will be another project, but I'll just start things up on the forums. Release will be an evolving process.
Get 'em on the drag strip cars first!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:38 PM
We would like to see pics of the new exhaust systems when I put a site up to order. Also sould clips would be great too.

Cannot wait to see what your company comes up with.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
There is going to be an almost continuous evolution of stuff comming out.

With plenty of Ti and exotics for the Bling Ballers too!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:47 PM

do they come with a MotorDyne version of the shirt in post # 123?...

Old 05-28-2008, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm...do you think there's a market out there? i can't really tell by looking at this thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by OCG35
do they come with a MotorDyne version of the shirt in post # 123?...
Hehehe. Maybe not a bad idea.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Motordyne - Tony