Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Adding 22" Magnaflow Resonators to Stillen Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding 22" Magnaflow Resonators to Stillen Exhaust

So it's been about a week now. I've already had my car dynomatted, but the sound is still a bit loud when cruising. The power gains are too good to take the system off, so I am considering having the Stillen resonators replaced with 22" magnaflows. I realize that this will probably change the tone, don't know if it will quiet things down anymore.

Does anyone here have Magnaflow's on and can comment on the sound? Has anyone thought about modifying the Stillen to quiet it down?

I wonder if changing the resonators will affect the performace of the Stillen Exhaust. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated...

Old 04-10-2004, 04:42 PM
Re: Adding 22" Magnaflow Resonators to Stillen Exhaust

I doubt that will change performance, but you are running the chance of increasing drone. When I replaced my stock exhaust resonator with the 22 magnaflow one, I have some droning between 2-3K rpm. It wasn't much louder though. I would love to try it but don't wanna hack up the nice exhaust. I have been a pioneer enough times, time for me to just watch and learn.

Gurgen

Old 04-10-2004, 10:48 PM

I turn up the volume on the stereo...

'03 G35 5AT Sedan, Garnet Fire/Willow
Staggered 18" SSR GT1/Bridgestone PP S03s
Eibach Springs/Anti-Sway Kit, Stillen 2-pc BBK
Stillen SS Cat-Back Dual Exhaust System

Old 04-11-2004, 11:07 AM

Apples and oranges but...I had a 14" Magnaflow on my SUV with free flow exhaust and it was awesome. It sounded full and throaty. This was on a V8 though. Of course, I wasn't sitting on top of it like in the G.

I think the sound thing is so subjective unless you hear one up close and personal. The only sedan cat-back exhaust system I haven't read complaints about droning is the Borla.

My Stillen arrives this week. I'll know first-hand about the droning thing soon.

03.5 5AT-S (Black-Willow-Premium-Sport-Aero-GroundingGear™-Silverstars-PIAA-PopCharger-Z Tube-Tint)

Old 04-11-2004, 09:42 PM

I have the stock 22" Magnaflow resonator on my stock 6MT. No drone at all. You can only hear the more aggressive tone of the exhaust between 1-2K RPM and it isn't even really that loud. Excellent cheap mod for someone who's sticking with the stock exhaust. Now as for replacing the Stillent resonators with the Magnaflow, I don't think it's going to make a significant difference. Yes, it might help some but I don't think it will quiet it down enough. But really the only way to tell is if you or someone tries it. How long are the resonators on the Stillen system?

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium

Old 04-12-2004, 10:23 AM
Re: Adding 22" Magnaflow Resonators to Stillen Exh

Hey DKlau33 Did you notice any gains with mating the magnaflow resonator with the stock

Old 04-12-2004, 12:37 PM

thanks for bringing this up gotchyaa. I really like the injen exhaust, but I'm keeping away from it because of loudness.
I did think of putting some long glass packs on it to fix the issue, but wanted to see if someone else did it first.

I know some say this is "apples to oranges", but I've heard duals on a accord (4 banger) that had 2 long glass packs put on it. The before was annoyingly loud. After the glass packs were put in as resonators it was almost stock quiet.

please post results if anyone tries this. If the stillen and injen noise cannot be changed I guess I'll just have to go with the fujitsubo.

Old 04-12-2004, 05:04 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

My custom true dual use's twin 18" magnaflow muffler's as resonators. I planned on 22", did everything I could to fit them on, but I ended up only having space for the 18" one's. I have less "resonating" than when I did the the 22" magnaflow resonator/premuffler swap. And even then, it was nothing I ever labeled bothersome. IMO, based on what you want to accomplish, swapping out the Stillen resonator's with the Magnaflow 22" resonator's is your best hope. If I were in your shoe's, it's how I would spend my money.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 04-15-2004, 02:14 AM
Re: Adding 22" Magnaflow Resonators to Stillen Exh

No, no gains were felt. I don't even think any gains would show up on the dyno. It is a purely weight saving mod, about 25+ lbs less than the stock resonator, and for sound. For power gains for a stock exhaust system your best bet would be to get high flow cats and a y-pipe. I just ordered the NFC motorsports Y-pipe which is stock diameter, mandrel bent, and just a whole lot cleaner design than the stock y-pipe. I'll report back after I install it and get some time with it.

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium