Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

How hot do the OEM muffler tips get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
How hot do the OEM muffler tips get?

Let's say the car is driven pretty hard for a good 20 minutes. How hot can the exhaust tips get? Can you touch them immediately after a good drive, or are they too hot for that?

I'm guessing they don't get too hot. I'd test it myself, lol, but I don't have a stock exhaust on my car.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
i dont think it would be a wise idea to keep your hand on it, but you can touch it.

ive worked on exhausts after 30 minutes of driving, so its not TERRIBLE...

maybe wear some gloves?

Old 05-27-2008, 11:53 AM
Overglorified Altima
I'm not so concerned about the piping. I know that will be hot.

I'm just curious about the actual tips and how hot they get. I wanna refinish the tips on my OEM muffler because they are all eff'd up and I will be going back to the stock exhaust soon.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:54 AM
how are you gonna do that?

pm'ed you.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the tips do not get that hot. it is the piping that takes all the heat. if i had to say a temp i would say that they stay under 90 and thats only because it is that hot outside.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:02 PM
Overglorified Altima
Originally Posted by simpson
the tips do not get that hot. it is the piping that takes all the heat. if i had to say a temp i would say that they stay under 90 and thats only because it is that hot outside.
That's exactly what I figured, but I wanted confirmation.

Can someone go touch their exhaust tips after driving to work/lunch/home today? Report back here.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
Let's say the car is driven pretty hard for a good 20 minutes. How hot can the exhaust tips get? Can you touch them immediately after a good drive, or are they too hot for that?

I'm guessing they don't get too hot. I'd test it myself, lol, but I don't have a stock exhaust on my car.
I wouldn't touch them immediately...

sprinkle some water and you'll see how hot they get.

Trending Topics

Old 05-27-2008, 12:03 PM
i can see it now...

***hi im posting from the hospital... my hands are burned,,

yea uhh i dont suggest touching those tips..***

Old 05-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Overglorified Altima
What about the muffler itself? I'm guessing that takes quite a bit of heat, but how much?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
i would def not touch the muffler after driving for 20 min, tips should be fine a couple minutes after. Muffler is big so it will take a while to cool down if its really hot...but yeah sprinkle some water on it, if it sizzle's then touch it....jk

Old 05-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
speaking from experience on other cars, since i'ven't had to mess with the exhaust on this car yet, i would expect temps in the range of 120-150F. hot to the touch, but not terrible. (not compared to the charcoal-chimney i grazed on the weekend, gonna take a while for that burn to heal...).
and if anyone is gonna test, check the radiant heat first, or even better use an infra-red thermometer,(maybe i'll borrow the one from work).

Old 05-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine get really hot, driving home from school (fairly aggressive, shifting at 4-5k RPM) which is about 5 miles, mine are too hot to touch right after I shut the car off. But then again I live in Arizona... so it might be way different for everyone else.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my guess is it would be pretty hot, maybe not as hot a single tipped lightweight muffler, but even double walled tipped OEM exhaust will get really hot.

The WORST is plastic bags on the street. When I had my OEM exhaust chain, I caught a plastic dry cleaner sheet thingy. It got all over both cat's heat shield and the y pipe. I immediately ordered Power Enterprise HFC's, Tanabe Y, and Amuse exhaust.

Anyways, the smell was awful as the plastic slowly burned away. I took it to my tech, and he was like, let's torch it!! I was like cool, He used a torch and burned the plastic off almost completely. The heat shield were a little scalded, but I didn't care cuz I was going aftermarket.

So avoid plastic bags on the street!

Oh, and for those with titanium tip exhaust, don't touch them, cuz your fingerprints could "burn in".

Old 05-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Overglorified Altima
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
my guess is it would be pretty hot, maybe not as hot a single tipped lightweight muffler, but even double walled tipped OEM exhaust will get really hot.

The WORST is plastic bags on the street. When I had my OEM exhaust chain, I caught a plastic dry cleaner sheet thingy. It got all over both cat's heat shield and the y pipe. I immediately ordered Power Enterprise HFC's, Tanabe Y, and Amuse exhaust.

Anyways, the smell was awful as the plastic slowly burned away. I took it to my tech, and he was like, let's torch it!! I was like cool, He used a torch and burned the plastic off almost completely. The heat shield were a little scalded, but I didn't care cuz I was going aftermarket.

So avoid plastic bags on the street!

Oh, and for those with titanium tip exhaust, don't touch them, cuz your fingerprints could "burn in".
I have HKS and I can touch the tips immediately after a 100+ mile road trip. The tips don't even feel warm.

I'm just wondering if it's the same with the stock exhaust tips.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i touched mine when i got home calvin and it was fine not to hot to say sh*t thats hot like i said i say they stay under 90

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How hot do the OEM muffler tips get?