Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

home made z-tube (test)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 01:18 PM
...we dont need roads...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At least paint it!!!

Old 06-17-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm going to make one out of a gatorade bottle

Old 06-17-2008, 04:08 PM
check out this intake tube

Old 06-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
looks quite nice indeed.

Just like CreativeDesignZ said.

Paint it black and you be good to go.

Good job.
^+1

Dont listen to all the haters...

Old 06-17-2008, 05:00 PM
Your PVC intake tube is fine.

It will work just like the factory-Z one.

People have been doing this with 4x4's (Tacomas and 4Runners) forever.

There will be no fumes!....the temp that you need to get that PVC to before it started to degrade/melt/etc is far higher than the temps you'll see under your hood.

Just paint it black for looks and see if you notice a difference in performance.

Make sure you do a ECU reset to see the best results quicker. If you like how it works but don't like the "look" you can always go and buy a used Z-Tube at that point. Otherwise, run it and then replace with the stock unit when you sell the car.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:14 PM
just bought a 04' g coupe (auto) and just wondering why people use the stock 350z tube and not an "aftermarket" intake package? by the way, where do i get a pop charger?

Old 06-17-2008, 08:18 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by xXxplosive
just bought a 04' g coupe (auto) and just wondering why people use the stock 350z tube and not an "aftermarket" intake package? by the way, where do i get a pop charger?
not everyone uses it

to each his own.

Some get this some get that some use PVC pipe (as you already know)

Do a search on the Pop Charger

Old 06-17-2008, 08:20 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Memphis
Your PVC intake tube is fine.

It will work just like the factory-Z one.

People have been doing this with 4x4's (Tacomas and 4Runners) forever.
There will be no fumes!....the temp that you need to get that PVC to before it started to degrade/melt/etc is far higher than the temps you'll see under your hood.

Just paint it black for looks and see if you notice a difference in performance.

Make sure you do a ECU reset to see the best results quicker. If you like how it works but don't like the "look" you can always go and buy a used Z-Tube at that point. Otherwise, run it and then replace with the stock unit when you sell the car.
Gotta tell my brother to do this hahaha
People use the stock 350z-tube because it makes more noise

Old 06-19-2008, 05:33 PM

I went with the z-tube because I still wanted to keep the stock airfilter box.

I wanted this for a couple of reasons. First was that when the first Dyno Days were being run, my interpretation of the data was that the pop-chargers didn't deliver better results than the stock air box. The guys who ran the stock with a K&N seemed to get better hp & tq numbers. The second reason was that the pop chargers allowed hot air to get in and caused the cars to stall. This was especially evident in hot climates. Plus I still have that little opening....what's it called?....something like the Power Vent?

Do a search and you'll find the posts for these.....

Old 06-19-2008, 05:42 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
^ it's POWER-DUCT, and you should take that biItch offa there.... theres two little plastic snaps you can undo to remove the power duct it only restircts airflow...

Old 06-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by alphamatt
theres a pretty common misconseption that the z tube is an aftermarket intake, it's the stock intake tube from the 350z... if you're lookin at spendin 100 you should look around harder

i would search the z forums, any of those guys who switch intake systems will likely sell their stock tube for pretty cheap i got mine for 30 bucks and a pop charger for 60 so i got a pop charged z tube for lower than what ur lookin at for jus the tube
1+

You can get them for pretty cheap in the market place. It's not worth going though the trouble of making your own for a few bucks in savings. Besides, time is money

Old 06-20-2008, 10:23 AM
I will go ahead and second the ricer comment.

It really has nothing to do with nation of origin. It just means cheap/crappy looking mods that are trying to emulate actual performance modifactions.

Unpainted plastic body kits and a fart cannon exhaust from pep boys /w the super blue bulbs from Wal*Mart = ricer. Doing that to an Infiniti = damn near criminal.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by UR2EZ
^ it's POWER-DUCT, and you should take that biItch offa there.... theres two little plastic snaps you can undo to remove the power duct it only restircts airflow...

uhhh.....that was argued into the ground on the forum something like 3 years ago.....can you back up your claim with dyno results?

Hey, thanks for reminding me of the stupid thing's name, I completely forgot it.

Last edited by Memphis; 06-20-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
This is why I love my mig. I can fab stuff out of metal if I want to experiment with little projects like this.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:49 PM
ok ok come on guys, (and girls, although mostly girls from the looks of it) i'm kidding, but in all seriousness, you should leave the "power duct" in there, it says "power" duct for a reason, you get an extra 16 hp at least to the wheels. any parts labeled with power in a car are good for an extra 16 hp, and if it's labeled

(that's a joke, because I just know some noob is going to actually believe that)

anyway, i think it's great how people can all come together online to debate and give their opinions, isn't it how great everyone tries to be civil? the beauty of online forums.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: home made z-tube (test)