Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

350Z HR Y-pipe installed on a 2003 G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Dave, thanks. You just gave me something to think about. I have to do some more research about both parts you mentioned. I know for a fact that I would rsearch the heck out of these parts before I jump in.

With the mods I have now what would you recommend to safely increase power even if it's slightly marginal gains from what I have meaning it won't take away power in the lower range or upper range but increase power across the entire band?

Keep in mind I'm not looking to go F-I at the moment. That's not for at least another year or so

Old 02-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Im to lazy to look through all 16 pages, but is there a video/soundclip

Old 02-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Hey wassup Hotel. I posted some clips a couple pages back. Feel free to check them out. Look on either 12, 13 or 14ish

Old 02-17-2009, 01:30 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by tiguy99
Dave, thanks. You just gave me something to think about. I have to do some more research about both parts you mentioned. I know for a fact that I would rsearch the heck out of these parts before I jump in.

With the mods I have now what would you recommend to safely increase power even if it's slightly marginal gains from what I have meaning it won't take away power in the lower range or upper range but increase power across the entire band?

Keep in mind I'm not looking to go F-I at the moment. That's not for at least another year or so
I'd say the HFCs and some tuning.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
i dont know if anyone ask the question. does this yield more gain then a aftermarket Y-pipe?

looking at a HR pipe, its clear that cost is a positive ( near 100ish ) and then you have OEM fitment, some type of gain. But is this better then say a stillen Y or a megan Y in terms of gains. Obviously this is more of a bang for the buck, even if this gain say 2whp and the stillen gains 3whp its still a great mod but if a stillen is 250$ it might be a option for someone to look into.

numbers are all made up. dont rip me a new whole if HP gains or cost is wrong.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
i dont know if anyone ask the question. does this yield more gain then a aftermarket Y-pipe?

looking at a HR pipe, its clear that cost is a positive ( near 100ish ) and then you have OEM fitment, some type of gain. But is this better then say a stillen Y or a megan Y in terms of gains. Obviously this is more of a bang for the buck, even if this gain say 2whp and the stillen gains 3whp its still a great mod but if a stillen is 250$ it might be a option for someone to look into.

numbers are all made up. dont rip me a new whole if HP gains or cost is wrong.
Over the past 5 years, I have yet to see a dyno of an aftermarket y-pipe. Through my research, I've read that aftermarket y-pipes can cause a loss of lowend/midrange power (piping too large), they hiss (too small flex sections), and they can vibrate (too small flex section or no flex sections at all).

Since the HR y-pipe is relatively cheap ($50-100) compared to most quality aftermarket y-pipes ($200-450) and the HR y-pipe is OEM which LOTS of real RD went into it, I figured what the heck. It's a small price to pay for an experiment. I have no experience with aftermarket y-pipes, but I do know the HR y-pipe does not cause any sort of reduced power. I and many others have noticed much improved low and mid rpm throttle response. Is this improved response actually power? I don't know because I haven't dynoed it. Like I've said before, I don't care if it doesn't make more power, I just love the improved driveability and sound

Old 02-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
I'd say the HFCs and some tuning.
I think that's what I'm going to do now. I just ordered my HFCs today.

I'll get them installed then save up $$ for a a good tune. Is this what you've done too?

Over the past 5 years, I have yet to see a dyno of an aftermarket y-pipe. Through my research, I've read that aftermarket y-pipes can cause a loss of lowend/midrange power (piping too large), they hiss (too small flex sections), and they can vibrate (too small flex section or no flex sections at all).

Since the HR y-pipe is relatively cheap ($50-100) compared to most quality aftermarket y-pipes ($200-450) and the HR y-pipe is OEM which LOTS of real RD went into it, I figured what the heck. It's a small price to pay for an experiment. I have no experience with aftermarket y-pipes, but I do know the HR y-pipe does not cause any sort of reduced power. I and many others have noticed much improved low and mid rpm throttle response. Is this improved response actually power? I don't know because I haven't dynoed it. Like I've said before, I don't care if it doesn't make more power, I just love the improved driveability and sound
+1

Old 02-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by tiguy99
I think that's what I'm going to do now. I just ordered my HFCs today.

I'll get them installed then save up $$ for a a good tune. Is this what you've done too?
The Technosquare ECU flash (it's my only option) and some HFCs are the next performance mods on my list. What make of HFCs did you go with?

Old 02-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am getting my HR Y-pipe installed on Saturday..

Old 02-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has it been confirmed that a G37 y-pipe or G35 sedan hr will fit?

Last edited by adamhoud; 02-18-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 AM
The Technosquare ECU flash (it's my only option) and some HFCs are the next performance mods on my list. What make of HFCs did you go with?
Hey Dave. I went with the Berk's HFCs. Which ones are you looking at right now? As for the Technosquare ECU update, what kind of gains, new options can we expect over the uprev or Osiris tunes?

Originally Posted by jimmykce1
I am getting my HR Y-pipe installed on Saturday..
Niiice. Let us know how it works out bro!

Originally Posted by adamhoud
Has it been confirmed that a G37 y-pipe or G35 sedan hr will fit?
I'm not sure. I would think that the part #s on the HR Y pipe from both the sedan/coupe and the 07 350z would be the same.

Can someone chime in on this? All we need are the actual Nissan Part #s

Old 02-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HHmm...well my dealer might have a g37 ypipe laying around but I'm not sure if it will work or not?

Old 02-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by adamhoud
HHmm...well my dealer might have a g37 ypipe laying around but I'm not sure if it will work or not?
Better yet, call and talk to the parts guy. You'll get your answer dead on the spot. If they have it and its free...hey consider yourself lucky

Old 02-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
From reading this, majority of the people on this thread that has done this mod are from people with sedans or coupes with non-revups.

Did anyone with a Rev-up motor do this mod yet?

Old 02-20-2009, 02:07 AM
Originally Posted by Black Acc
From reading this, majority of the people on this thread that has done this mod are from people with sedans or coupes with non-revups.

Did anyone with a Rev-up motor do this mod yet?
Good question Black Acc....if the answer is no....you cooouuuullllddd be the first to volunteer.

I would imagine you'd see some gains too

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 350Z HR Y-pipe installed on a 2003 G35