Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

2007 G35 Cat Converters vs 350z

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 2007 G35 Cat Converters vs 350z Help

I just bought a 2007 G35 from a dealer with Borla exhaust installed. They told me that the exhaust was installed from the previous owner without the catalytic converter. I'm not very familiar with the borla system, but doesn't it start at the cats (can it be installed otherwise)?

If this really is the case, I happen to have a set of R/T High Flow cats for the 2004 350z. Are the G35 and 350z cats similar enough that I could use them? If not, any recommendations?

By the way, the rabbit hole goes way deeper than this with the car. Also has a Greddy TT installed (and horribly tuned sine injectors were removed by dealer) so I am getting all kinds of check engine codes. Even the check airbag light.

Thanks for the help and the insight.

Last edited by Infern0; 09-22-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:15 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Infern0
I just bought a 2007 G35 from a dealer with Borla exhaust installed. They told me that the exhaust was installed from the previous owner without the catalytic converter. I'm not very familiar with the borla system, but doesn't it start at the cats (can it be installed otherwise)?

If this really is the case, I happen to have a set of R/T High Flow cats for the 2004 350z. Are the G35 and 350z cats similar enough that I could use them? If not, any recommendations?

By the way, the rabbit hole goes way deeper than this with the car. Also has a Greddy TT installed (and horribly tuned sine injectors were removed by dealer) so I am getting all kinds of check engine codes. Even the check airbag light.

Thanks for the help and the insight.
You bought a boosted 07 sedan from the dealer? I would be very cautious about driving it until you get it tuned properly. Where abouts do you live so that we can point you in the right direction?

BTW ... you have a PM.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Heheh yeah....cautious is just the beginning of it. Like I said, the rabbit hole goes so deep with the morons at the dealership not knowing what they had. This story starts out with the dealer removing the aftermarket injectors and replacing them with the stock injectors. Then wondering why the car was running so crappy. Of course the next logical step would be to mess with the settings in the computer, cause that has to hold the answer. I'm sure this engine has been detonated. I'm super paranoid about it now because it seems to be drinking coolant.

I'm in North Virginia. I've been talking to some peeps in Maryland at JE Import Performance.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:28 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Infern0
Heheh yeah....cautious is just the beginning of it. Like I said, the rabbit hole goes so deep with the morons at the dealership not knowing what they had. This story starts out with the dealer removing the aftermarket injectors and replacing them with the stock injectors. Then wondering why the car was running so crappy. Of course the next logical step would be to mess with the settings in the computer, cause that has to hold the answer. I'm sure this engine has been detonated. I'm super paranoid about it now because it seems to be drinking coolant.

I'm in North Virginia. I've been talking to some peeps in Maryland at JE Import Performance.
I hope you got it for really cheap and planned to make this a project car. Did they leave the rest of the FI hardware on there (intercooler, turbos, fuel management, etc)? Is it a manual transmission? Do you have information on the previous owner? Maybe Greddy is the previous owner because they have not released anything for this platform yet.

I doubt the ECU will give you the information you need. You should do a leak down test on the motor first to determine if it has to be removed and rebuilt.

BTW .. to answer your question ... use test pipes instread of cats for FI applications.

Last edited by terrycs; 09-29-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Well I got it for MSRP, but it came with a ton of extras (turbo included, intercooler, boost controller, turbo timer, eibach springs, greddy brakes, other misc). Bout $20k worth I'd say (including install costs). Yes 6MT.

So the story is I showed up at the dealer the week after this car arrived. They intended on removing all the parts and selling them separately on eBay and just selling the car stock. The injectors were the first things they did, but afterward, for some reason, decided to try to drive the car around still (perhaps 10 - 20 miles worth). When that ran like crap, they started tweaking computer settings to get it to run OK but couldn't do it (obviously). That basically immobilized the car. ECU wouldn't let the car go over 3,000RPMs actually.

I had the car delivered to this speed shop (JE Import Performance) and they put the injectors back in along with some other misc items (spacers, cracked o-ring replacements). Started running good after this. They entered tuning mode and then through it on the dyno after some quick adjustments. Air/Fuel is at a good place. Results of dyno were 310WHP at 8PSI (strangely low). Unfortunately I don't know anything else about this motor (whether it was detonated or rebuilt as low compression). Speed shop was out of time but they suggest a compression test next.

In about 200 miles, I've refilled the coolant reservoir twice. Can't be good, right?

Thoughts?

Old 09-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Post continued HERE.

Wanted to get it in a place with higher visibility under a better topic name.