Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Test pipes and oil consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Test pipes and oil consumption

I had the strup test pipes installed without the non-foulers (CEL light was on) paired with my Fast Intentions exhaust. I started noticing that my car was taking more oil than usual. At one point there was barely any oil in the engine and i had to top it off with 4 more quarts and I had gotten an oil change about 500 miles ago. My question is, was my car consuming too much oil because of the test pipes without the non-foulers? If i install the non foulers will this get rid of the oil consumption problem?

Old 01-29-2009, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should check your CEL codes, you may or may not have a set of codes for the test pipes, and you may or may not have a set of codes regarding your oil consumption issue. Either way, your test pipes have nothing to do with your car taking more oil. The sensors on your test pipes are only there for diagnostic purposes. The test pipes themselves may change some of the A/F mixtures, but the sensors alone do nothing but send error codes.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:06 PM
After i had the test pipes removed and had the stock cats put back on, the oil consumption problem disappeared.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Check to see if you have any leaks...I know, it's an obvious question. Also, check your valve cover gaskets. When you changed your oil last did you make sure the previous filters o-ring came off as well?

Test pipes should have nothing to do with oil consumption....two totally independent systems.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by twin001
Check to see if you have any leaks...I know, it's an obvious question. Also, check your valve cover gaskets. When you changed your oil last did you make sure the previous filters o-ring came off as well?

Test pipes should have nothing to do with oil consumption....two totally independent systems.
There werent any leaks. I haven't checked the valve cover gaskets. My mechanic does all my oil changes so i will ask him about the filters o-ring. Thanks!

Old 01-31-2009, 03:10 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I've read about this happening many times before. There is clearly an oil consumption issue with test pipes teamed with a full exhaust. When people put the stock parts back on, the consumption disappears. It's odd, but I've read numerous cases of this on this site and my350z. It's got to have something to do with rings and the change in exhaust velocity with TPs.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
but 4 quarts in 500 miles as the OP stated? That's a lot to blame on TP's.

I guess I have seen stranger things!

Old 01-31-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
I've read about this happening many times before. There is clearly an oil consumption issue with test pipes teamed with a full exhaust. When people put the stock parts back on, the consumption disappears. It's odd, but I've read numerous cases of this on this site and my350z. It's got to have something to do with rings and the change in exhaust velocity with TPs.
do you think i should try another brand of test pipes? Maybe some resonated test pipes?

Edit: I made a mistake in my original post. The CEL was never on. The SES light was on.

Last edited by RaginRaj11; 01-31-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:01 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by RaginRaj11
do you think i should try another brand of test pipes? Maybe some resonated test pipes?

Edit: I made a mistake in my original post. The CEL was never on. The SES light was on.
I think you should pass on TPs all together and get HFCs if you really want to do something upsteam of the catback. As for the lights, the SES (service engine soon) light is the same as a "CEL" (check engine light).

Old 01-31-2009, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
I think you should pass on TPs all together and get HFCs if you really want to do something upsteam of the catback. As for the lights, the SES (service engine soon) light is the same as a "CEL" (check engine light).
I have a friend who has the same setup as me except but he has helix test pipes and he hasnt experienced this oil problem. He also has the SES light on. I just dont understand why my car is having the oil problem. Its weird.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by HomieG35
Had the Strup test pipes, no foulers, FI, and no issues with oil consumption.

I don't see the correlation between the two... How can test pipes and exhaust cause oil consumption?

The way I see it, oil consumption has been an issue with these cars, some of the most basic mods are to the exhaust system (on any car).
yea i dont understand the correlation either but why did the problem disappear after i had the test pipes removed?

Old 01-31-2009, 04:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RaginRaj11
yea i dont understand the correlation either but why did the problem disappear after i had the test pipes removed?
Hell put it back on and tell us what happen

Old 01-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't buy it...I don't see what one thing has to do with the other. It's like a dirty air filter causing the washer fluid to dissapear.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Test pipes and oil consumption