Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

BIG EXHAUST PROBLEM...which to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 01:08 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: BIG EXHAUST PROBLEM

SuperRacer...Go with the Injen. I did and it's the best mod I've added. A set of Kinetix Hi-Flo cats wouldn't hurt either!

2 G or NOT 2 G, there is no question!

Injen SES, Kinetix cats, K&N Typhoon, 19" PIAA Super Rozza's (19x9 & 19x10)

Old 06-16-2004, 01:45 PM

Okay, the Stillen is advertised at 13 lbs LESS than the stock system, which is reported to weigh in at 74 lbs (meaning, the Stillen is 51 lbs).

My suggestion, after you have factored in quality found in the various brands, is to think about what you may possibly do later with the car. If you are going to go FI, you will probably want about as much flow volume as possible. Dual exhaust will likely handle that best, depending on design of course.

On another note, does anyone have any info on the Bullet Y-Pipe? I've seen it advertised, but didn't find anything about it.

Old 06-16-2004, 02:00 PM

The Stillen has different weights for the Coupe and Sedan. It's actually heavier than stock Coupe.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5

Old 06-16-2004, 09:50 PM

Damm, im really confused when you guys talk about stillen TD...lets just clear something out here.

For coupe stillen TD exhaust is heavier then stock.
For sedan stillen TD exhaust is lighter then stock.

Clear or still unclear =_=''

Old 06-16-2004, 10:29 PM

we have the Pro 1 we got from Moog...same as RSR. Looks great(click on my name to see pix), and sounds even greater. This gotta be(without the silencers) the best sounding exhaust out there. We were at Atco day, we heard most of 'em. All that HP/weight guessing and rambling on paragraphs don't mean crap. You want real speed, buy a motorcycle. I've already torched the ears of loser women yappin' on a cel phone while attempting to drive. One hand on phone, the other flappin away...they do really suck as drivers.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by I_Got_EVO on 06/16/04 08:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-16-2004, 11:19 PM

" All you with your pathetic HP/weight guessing and rambling on paragraphs don't mean crap. You gotta look good and sound great. You wanna go fast, buy a motorcycle."

Hey~If you got EVO go to your EVO forum and stop talking [censored] here, because you are not welcome to this thread. What do you mean "it doesn't mean crap"? all of us here are just speaking up about things that we concern and if you dont like it, dont fxxking reply!

ps. if I wanna go fast ill just go catch an air plane in the executive seat and have my way of life looking down on you in the sky.

Old 06-17-2004, 01:08 AM

Spinal66,

Here's the link to Sport Z Magazine's Exhaust Shootout Article complete with manufacturer's names, sound clips and pictures of the systems tested.

http://sportzmagazine.com/Z_Downloads.htm

I'm sure you'll note some differences in what some here have professed.

Before building this post, I re-read the exhaust shootout article in the Fall 2003 issue of Sport Z Magazine. Once again, I was reminded of the fact that one exhaust system produced between 30% and 99.97% more peak torque than the other four. This same system also produced the second highest peak horsepower number losing by 1/10hp to another system tested on the stronger 350Z. (Yes, they used two cars for the test. There was a 1.5% difference in base line peak horsepower. Peak torque was essentially equal.)

While I had the article open I spent some time re-studying the small, hard to compare dyno charts. It still appears to me that the same 350Z exhaust system produced more across the board torque and horsepower than the other systems. Of course this is open to individual interpertation and would make a good subject for "bench racing".

Since this shootout, newer systems have become available... more objective & subjective infomation is available... and more speculation (sometimes sprinkled with a little BS) seems to have become the order of the day.

So which exhaust system is "best"? Don't get the one I have (my sedan is running real good and I don't need more competition).

As Yuichi's original Sport Z Magazine's Exhaust Shootout article indicated, each of us should research, prioritize, and decide which system is "right" for us.

IMO, choosing an exhaust system based on what others say (me included), or on peak horsepower, or internet sound clips is not the way to go.

That's my 2 cents for this evening.

DaveO

Old 06-17-2004, 06:06 AM

Thanks DaveO. I listened to all of the exhausts and "IMO" the Injen and Nismo sounded the best. I was disappointed in the "sound clip" of the Stillen and Borla (which seem to be the 2 most popular exhausts by far). That just goes to show that this is all so subjective and up to individual opinions.

One question... where is the link to the dyno charts that show the "area under the curve" for torque and hp for each of the exhausts? I'd really like to see this info. I'm assuming this would be where you collected the data for max hp/tq in your "world renowned" write-up.

DaveO to the rescue!!!

301-bhp!!! ...and growing!

Old 06-17-2004, 07:43 AM

hey bonehead, be sure to not eat a big breakfast the day you decide to floor your sedan. that extra pound may cause the chick in the civic to beat you.

Old 06-17-2004, 09:23 AM

Those who want to study the shootout's dyno results can order a copy of the Fall 2003 issue of Sport Z Magazine. I checked and it's still available as a back issue.

I suggest anyone researching the "best" exhaust system for themselves check out this article. ---http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/69238/ --- as part of their efforts.

For those doing personal research, if you'd like an interesting two system comparsion article, pm me. Be sure to include your e-mail address.

For those who like or dislike a particular exhaust system sound clip... IMO, none of the system's sound clips sound the same in the real world. Especially when you consider none of them had time to "season". The typical change in exhaust note after a few hundred miles has been discussed on this and other forums.

That's my 2 cents on this subject for this morning.

DaveO

Old 06-17-2004, 10:09 AM

I've listened to the links and I can't even tell the difference between any of them....so much for my refined ears.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5

Old 06-17-2004, 12:37 PM

Not knowing anything about exhausts, could somebody explain to me what a DRONE sound means in an exhaust??

Old 06-17-2004, 05:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drone? Hmmm...to me it's excessive and annoying noise that the exhaust system produces. The drone/noise is usually something that's most annoying when cruising.

I've had some cars that sound great, but when I'm cruising on the highway within a certain RPM range (generally at or above the normal speed limits) the exhust is loud and obnoxious.

I'd say that our engines can have a tendency to have an annoying drone in the 2400-2800 RPM range with some exhausts.

Other guys here will probably follow up with their opinions on this.

'04 6MT coupe

Old 06-17-2004, 05:31 PM
G35driver.com Moderator
Re: BIG EXHAUST PROBLEM...which to buy?

Borla all the way....its quiet down low (which is what you want- you dont want a fart-can)

then the growl is nice and deep once above 2,000rpm, like an exotic V8, its simply sweet.

The sound clips dont do it justice, you'd have to sit in the car and drive it well into 2nd and 3rd gears in order to experience it.

For under $700 for +8hp from that exhaust dyno-shootout, its a great deal!

<font color=green>-Rambo</font color=green>
G35c-6MT-DG/Willow/HyperGround/BorlaExhaust/350Z-intake/AVIC-N1-double-din

Old 06-17-2004, 08:04 PM

Does stillen TD exhaust drone too? im just wondering~

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BIG EXHAUST PROBLEM...which to buy?