Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

BIG EXHAUST PROBLEM...which to buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 08:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BIG EXHAUST PROBLEM...which to buy?

I have to change my exhaust, the problem is to many exhaust available. (Injen, Stillen or Greddy EVO 2 ????)
Please help me, dyno testing, sound clip...
I don't care about $$$ i have to put the best one!

G35
6MT
Vortech supercharged / intercooler
Stillen front fascia bumper
<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by ramborami on 06/17/04 02:28 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 06-15-2004, 09:21 PM
Re: BIG EXHAUST PROBLEM

Ya I too am faced with this problem, there are too many exhuasts to choose from so which is the best performance wise?(Injen, Greddy EVO2, Stillen,Blitz, RS-R GT2......) ??

Old 06-15-2004, 10:15 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

Add another one to your list.

http://www.topsecretjpn.com/topsecretenglish.html

Old 06-15-2004, 10:31 PM

Performance wise without care for money would have to be the Stillen exhaust with the Injen SES exhaust close behind.

Heeeeellllllloooooooooo people.......

2003.5 Black/Black 5AT Fully Loaded w/ Navi
Clear Corners / Injen CAI

Old 06-15-2004, 10:40 PM

I have my eyes on the GReddy EVO 2. Where does it fit here?

'04 DG Coupe

Old 06-15-2004, 11:36 PM
04 G35 Coupe 6MT Gold Brembo’s

hi havok,

Although I too think highly of the Stillen and Injen, I'm not convinced that it's so clear cut they're the best out there -- remember that Z shootout a while back which showed the Stillen and Injen to both lose a bit of bottom end torque to get that big horsepower in the mid and high end...

The Fujitsubo had slightly less peak hp but didn't lose anything in the lower band... in fact I think from the graphs the entire area under the curve would have showed more hp and torque across the entire powerband for the Nismo/ Fujitsubo (with the Y pipe) as compared to the Stillen despite the latter's higher peak value.

So if we translate that into real-world terms, if I'm running on a track with a lot of fast straights and sweepers, I'd agree with you re: the Stillen while my rpm's are high, but if I'm coming out of a sharp hairpins where I've just braked hard, I'll be wanting that bottom-end grunt to give me good exit speed into the next straight... so maybe the Fujitsubo would be better there?? I'm not sure...

Another issue to consider if you're serious about performance is weight... the Stillen is superbly constructed, the X-pipe is nice, but it's heavy! Can't remember but I think 50 pounds or so? (Going by memory there so could be wrong...)
I think it's only slightly lighter than the stock midpipe/ muffler which is around ~60 lbs I believe.

So if weight matters to you (and it should) then don't strike the Amuse Titan off your list too quick. Thanks to all titanium construction, this thing is 15 lbs complete! (...and thanks to ti, it's also around $2000). But unfortunately the G35 specific version isn't here yet... rumor says soon.

Speaking of which, Invidia's cat-back for the 350Z is generating positive reviews -- a G version is apparently on its way too... so there's yet another player on the field.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat -- looking for the best exhaust and still not sure which way I want to go. Next Saturday we've booked the track for 3 hours of running laps... and I know by Sunday I'll be wanting to make some decisions pretty quick before the summer's gone!

G35Coupe 6MT + Nav

Old 06-16-2004, 04:00 AM

Metasystem,
I based the stillen and injen ses thing on the numbers of a comparison test that was run and it was posted on the test site. True that the test also only measured the peak HP and torque values, but I specifically remembering it mentioning that stillen didn't loose the low end torque and hp. Maybe I'm not remembering it right. Also, out of anyone who has gotten either exhaust, there have been zero complaints and I haven't seen any post regarding complications with install or anything of the sort. Also, stillen's exhaust is only ten pounds heavier than stock, (stock is 50, stillen is 60) which can easily be lost at the wheels plus some. Plus I didn't know if the fujibitso was catback or not and whether it needed a y-pipe or mid pipe or what. I know nothing of the Invidia exhaust so please keep us posted cause I too am in the market for an exhaust. Thanks.

Heeeeellllllloooooooooo people.......

2003.5 Black/Black 5AT Fully Loaded w/ Navi
Clear Corners / Injen CAI

Old 06-16-2004, 04:10 AM

For stillen TD...ppl complaint about drone...
but im still looking foward to stillen TD though

Old 06-16-2004, 05:58 AM

There is a lot of mis-information in this post. I'll attempt to address some of the items in a response but probably will not touch on all of the errors.

Here goes...

1. The Fujitsubo exhaust was not in the "exhaust challenge" (Nismo was)

2. Fujitsubo may (or may not) have the same gains as Nismo, I'm thinking it would, but this is only a guess

3. I believe that the Stillen vs. stock exhaust weights are misquoted above.

4. Every exhaust lost hp on the low end except Nismo if memory serves correctly.

I STRONGLY suggest everyone disregard all the info above (including my post) and search for DaveO's thorough comparison themselves. I'd love to have DaveO take the sedan dyno done with the sedan Fujitsubo a few days ago and over lay this dyno curve on top of the dyno curves from the magazine shoot out that he quoted. I'd be interested in comparing the areas under the curve for the Fujitsubo and the Nismo. Is this possible Dave?

301-bhp!!! ...and growing!

Old 06-16-2004, 07:35 AM

I second that motion Neff.

And when I factor in weight, I try to compare the weight of the Stillen against the weight of the other exhaust I'm considering (like you would factor opportunity cost when making a financial decision). So if the Stillen is 10 heavier, and the Fuji is 10 lighter, I'm making a decision based on a 20 pound diff, not a 10 pound diff. 20 here, 20 there, 10 here, 15 there....it all adds up.

Of course until I can beg Doug into selling me some headers and cats, it's all still a pipe dream for me. Exhaust goes on last for me, but I'm favoring Fujitsubo.

2004.5 Coupe/5AT/Ivory/Everything but front spoiler/Nismo CAI/Crawford V5

Old 06-16-2004, 09:22 AM
04 G35 Coupe 6MT Gold Brembo’s

I thought the Fujitsubo was identical to the Nismo Neff?
I realize the shootout involved the Nismo and not the Fuji, but my understanding is that Nismo sells it under their own name.
That's why I used those interchangeably.

G35Coupe 6MT + Nav

Old 06-16-2004, 10:43 AM

If $$$ is not a factor, (and you wouldn't mind a "Z" on the muffler) then I would definitely go with the Fujitsubo Titanium exhaust, w/ adapter for G35 coupe, and the JIC Y-pipe... that setup would be killer! Only downside is that everything together will probably run around $2500-2700...

On the more practical side, it seems like the GReddy EVO II is the exhaust to have now (what I'm ordering next week) - it can be found pretty easily for $950 shipped if you shop around... I talked extensively w/ Jeff @ Evolution Autosports about this exhaust and all he could tell me was how impressed he was with the design and how an exhaust that free-flowing could be as quiet as that exhaust (with test pipes) - I'm planning on going F/I in the future, so I think this is a great setup that will give me good gains now on my N/A setup but will give me GREAT gains when I go F/I (some on my350z.com have reported 20 HP and 20 TQ from exhaust alone on TT setup!) Good luck with your decision and I hope I gave you some advice you could use...

2003.5 Brillant Silver G35 coupe 5AT
JDM Clear Corners, Alum. Pedals, Pro-1 Short Ram Intake, Helix SS Test Pipes, UR Crank Pulley, Custom Grounding Kit, CF Engine Cover, Kinetix Plenum (On Order)

Old 06-16-2004, 11:43 AM

So if weight matters to you (and it should) then don't strike the Amuse Titan off your list too quick. Thanks to all titanium construction, this thing is 15 lbs complete! (...and thanks to ti, it's also around $2000). But unfortunately the G35 specific version isn't here yet... rumor says soon.

hey meta, can you expand on the rumors. The amuse is the one I want because of the weight savings and exhaust note but I don't want to shell out a couple K's for tips that don't fit.

Old 06-16-2004, 01:08 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G

Go with the Injen. I did and it's the best mod I've added. A set of Kinetix Hi-Flo cats wouldn't hurt either!

2 G or NOT 2 G, there is no question!

Injen SES, Kinetix cats, K&N Typhoon, 19" PIAA Super Rozza's (19x9 & 19x10)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BIG EXHAUST PROBLEM...which to buy?