Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Sedan Stillen 2003 droning at lower RPMs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedan Stillen 2003 droning at lower RPMs

Well, I have just installed my Stillen gen 2 exhaust and realized that I can only stand the deep sound for about 10 or so minutes before it starts to annoy me. Its deep growl at 2000 - 2700 RPM is always there except when I'm on a highway. I did not expect that and should have found couple of threads talking about it (dated 2008) earlier. So that only question that I have now is this:
How can I minimize in cabin noise at this point?
P.S. Turn on the radio wouldn't really work for me as I drive my family around all the time...

Old 03-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you just any other mods like test pipes or headers?

Old 03-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
If you want to trade back to stock plus cash, or if you want to sell let me know

Old 03-23-2009, 10:43 AM
I did the plenum + JWT + Z-tube a while back... No test pipes or headers. I'm not thinking about selling it yet, but if I will it will be local in GTA, Ontario. Thanks everyone. Any thoughts?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
There's not a whole lot you can do. You can add some additional resonators in the pipes and maybe resonated exhaust tips (yes, they do help), but you're still going to have a good bit of drone and the additional noise suppresion maybe knock down any gains you get from the exhaust. It's the nature of the beast, especially if you have an automatic. I had the Borla TD a few years back and like you, I couldn't stand the drone either. It was out of character for the car. Apparently adding a resonated X-pipe from MagnaFlow helps per Jeff92Se on this site. I believe your Stillen already has an X-pipe (maybe it's not resonated though?) Maybe consider contacting Jeff or maybe he'll chime in later.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
A good read.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ll-review.html
Well at least you tried to pick the quieter of the two. The gen2 is supposed to be the quieter of the two Stillen exhausts. I don't know the specific differences but I don't think the gen2 has a resonated X. My thoughts on how the magnaflow X reduced my drone is in that thread. I don't know about replacing the X with a resonated version. ie.. the gains vs cost would be suspect to me. Before doing my mod, I really suspected most of the drone was from the rear muffler and I still do. In my case, the resonated X helped to the point where I wouldn't replace the rear muffler anymore.

But in YOUR case where you already have the performance X pipe installed, I'd "consider" replacing the rear muffler with a magnaflow 2 in 2 out offering. In either a resonated X or non-X muffler. Klubbheads had a custom dual that would end up being almost exactly like yours if you added a magnaflow resonated X muffer in the rear and he reported no droning at all.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
A good read.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ll-review.html
Well at least you tried to pick the quieter of the two. The gen2 is supposed to be the quieter of the two Stillen exhausts. I don't know the specific differences but I don't think the gen2 has a resonated X. My thoughts on how the magnaflow X reduced my drone is in that thread. I don't know about replacing the X with a resonated version. ie.. the gains vs cost would be suspect to me. Before doing my mod, I really suspected most of the drone was from the rear muffler and I still do. In my case, the resonated X helped to the point where I wouldn't replace the rear muffler anymore.

But in YOUR case where you already have the performance X pipe installed, I'd "consider" replacing the rear muffler with a magnaflow 2 in 2 out offering. In either a resonated X or non-X muffler. Klubbheads had a custom dual that would end up being almost exactly like yours if you added a magnaflow resonated X muffer in the rear and he reported no droning at all.
Is there a way to literally wrap the muffler in some kind of sound dampening material just to eliminate some in cabin noise? Or am I just trying to get off cheap?

Old 03-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Red Card Crew

Wrapping the muffler in an attempt to change the resonance characteristics of the unit is an interesting idea. For the amount of time/cost it would take, it could be worth a try. But I'd give the chance of success at about 20%.

Remember, it's just my "guess" that most of the drone is from the muffler. I based this on methods that you have access to. ie.. driving around with the window down and noting if the drone sound is coming from under the car or behind it.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Use some sound mat (B-quiet, Second Skin, Dynamat, etc) in the trunk and lining the floor of the car and maybe even the firewall while you're at it. You'll get minimal sound in the car. Its great.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Called couple of muffler shops and got several responses that I need another resonator... Resonator $150+ cutting in $60+... I might actually do it. I really like the way it looks and the sound too, just not ALL the time.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
Use some sound mat (B-quiet, Second Skin, Dynamat, etc) in the trunk and lining the floor of the car and maybe even the firewall while you're at it. You'll get minimal sound in the car. Its great.
Has anyone tried it? Did it work for you?

Old 03-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Red Card Crew

You'll need two. And I don't know where you are going to put them unless you replace the two you already have.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Stan
Has anyone tried it? Did it work for you?
I did a complete B-quiet on my 04 (gutted interior)
...Mainly for the audio upgrade.

It helped but didn't fix the problem.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
I did a complete B-quiet on my 04 (gutted interior)
...Mainly for the audio upgrade.

It helped but didn't fix the problem.
Thanks InTgr8r,

I wonder where I would buy B-quiet, Second Skin, and Dynamat stuff... in GTA? Where did you get yours?

Old 03-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
I don't think wrapping the exhaust or interior with sound deadening material will do you much good because the drone is a bass-level, non-directional sound which is very hard to supress. Your best bet is to work on the exhaust.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sedan Stillen 2003 droning at lower RPMs