Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

loss of power on JWT Pop Charger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To eliminate heat soak, you need to isolate the intake from the radiant heat from the engine.The stock air box is efficient until you encounter the G-Tube that has internal baffles, which create perturbations therefore reducing the intake velocity airflow. The JWT Pop Charger exposes the intake inlet to increased amounts of radiant heat from the engine since it is not enclosed. The Stillen Hi-Flow Intake is well engineered and provides sufficient isolation from radiant engine heat since it replaces the stock intake enclosure.

I have a Stillen Hi-Flow Intake and Z-Tube currently on order from EverythingG35.com.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by renegadestorm
To eliminate heat soak, you need to isolate the intake from the radiant heat from the engine.The stock air box is efficient until you encounter the G-Tube that has internal baffles, which create perturbations therefore reducing the intake velocity airflow. The JWT Pop Charger exposes the intake inlet to increased amounts of radiant heat from the engine since it is not enclosed. The Stillen Hi-Flow Intake is well engineered and provides sufficient isolation from radiant engine heat since it replaces the stock intake enclosure.

I have a Stillen Hi-Flow Intake and Z-Tube currently on order from EverythingG35.com.
The Stillen CAI is not isolated from underhood temps. It is still open on the front and driver's side. It is not a fully enclosed unit therefore engine heat will most definitely enter. You cannot "shield" an intake from hot air. You can shield it from direct radient heat, but not air.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:08 PM
My last car was a GTO. I put two CAI's on that car and both lost power due to heat soak. Once I put the stock airbox back on, my low end torque came back.

I didn't want to make the same mistake with this car so I kept the stock airbox but added a Z-tube and K&N drop in filter. I'm not even sure if the K&N is necessary but it shouldn't hurt. I also added a Motordyne 5/16" plenum spacer. Very good combo with no downside that I can see - unless you think a more aggressive engine sound is a negative.

Last edited by SCXR; 04-27-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Spell check
Old 04-27-2009, 03:34 PM
you really need to account for tuning as well because the car is tuned from the factory to work with what its made with so changing out the intake is messing with the way the computer is thinking because the air is all of the sudden different. doing mods without tuning will almost always make you lose power.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by 05REV
you really need to account for tuning as well because the car is tuned from the factory to work with what its made with so changing out the intake is messing with the way the computer is thinking because the air is all of the sudden different. doing mods without tuning will almost always make you lose power.
Well that's pretty much all wrong on multiple levels.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:45 PM
why am i wrong? i didnt mean lose power from your base hp. i meant doing mods without tuning doesnt give you the potential of the mods

Old 04-27-2009, 07:29 PM
why am i wrong? i didnt mean lose power from your base hp. i meant doing mods without tuning doesnt give you the potential of the mods
you are absolutely correct.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Red Card Crew

Actually if a mod doesn't make the engine run lean or sway from it's a/f targets, a tune won't make much difference (over what a tune would do anyway). ie.. tune for an intake would net you zero extra hp over a tune with a stock intake.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:42 PM
So, in conclusion, intake is no good for other than noise. Go ebay your intake.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
lol

Old 04-27-2009, 09:35 PM
this really sucks, the information is great, but now im just totaly confused.

i have people saying it should increase slightly, it shouldnt be any different other than noise, and people saying you lose up to 10 hp. im sooo confused now.

i think what im going to have to end up doing, is taking my car out with the JWT one last time, re-install the OEM airbox but leave the Ztube, and take that out. and make my decisoin from thier.

thanks for the various yet helpful answers, ill keep you guys posted.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Stock Airbox with Z-Tube is a good option, as good as any. And you can reduce some of the heatsoak with the new lower intake manifold gasket that's included with your plenum spacer. But getting an enclosed airbox is the most important thing.

Also, you need to give your engine/ECM time to adjust to it's new attachments. I put the Z-tube on and everything was fine, but after the spacer, it took a week or so for my ECM to relearn and settle down. Now my car feels normal again, albeit with more giddyup.

And ignore this ...

doing mods without tuning will almost always make you lose power.
It's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I didn't tune my car and I'm definitely making more power than before. Your computer is smart, it can learn. It's not a set of absolute values that never fluctuate.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Stock Airbox with Z-Tube is a good option, as good as any. And you can reduce some of the heatsoak with the new lower intake manifold gasket that's included with your plenum spacer. But getting an enclosed airbox is the most important thing.

Also, you need to give your engine/ECM time to adjust to it's new attachments. I put the Z-tube on and everything was fine, but after the spacer, it took a week or so for my ECM to relearn and settle down. Now my car feels normal again, albeit with more giddyup.

And ignore this ...

It's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I didn't tune my car and I'm definitely making more power than before. Your computer is smart, it can learn. It's not a set of absolute values that never fluctuate.

whats your opinion on the JWT pop charger then, you think the stock 06 wit a kn filter with ztube or jwt pop charger with ztube

help !

Old 04-28-2009, 01:23 AM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by DJMaffei
idk i feel a little less power out of my car, with the JWT Pop Charger with a Z tube, anyone else feel this?

when iask my freinds they say its faster, not by much , but an importovemnt, i htink they say that becuz of the nasty sound it makes, but i feel a little less umph.

am i the only ones?

and this thread can also be used to post mods that people think or feel like that have lost power, so that people can have an idea of whats going on with their aprts for real

thanks to all
Put the oem airbox back and compare.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:42 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
the oem airbox with K&N filter and rev-up velocity stack is just as good as any pop charger, any day of the week.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: loss of power on JWT Pop Charger?