Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

loss of power on JWT Pop Charger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 02:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your acceleration will suffer slightly without the factory airbox which brings in nice cool air. But it's gonna be tough to "feel" the difference just by swapping intakes. Do it on a warm day, if it's hot enough, you might lose enough hp to really feel the difference.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:43 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Yea, you're not going to feel much difference with the POP or Z-Tube because the added power is relatively small. But you will notice the intake sound difference for sure. Sell the POP and do what Hybrid_DET said. It's a pretty common setup around here (I've got it and I think Jeff92SE has it as well). It has the added benefit of being entirely OEM.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Yea, you're not going to feel much difference with the POP or Z-Tube because the added power is relatively small. But you will notice the intake sound difference for sure. Sell the POP and do what Hybrid_DET said. It's a pretty common setup around here (I've got it and I think Jeff92SE has it as well). It has the added benefit of being entirely OEM.

i live in jersey, hot summers, even now its supposed to hit 94, and brutally cold winters, 2 or 3 degrees. do you still think i should sell the pop charger, leave the z tube, pop in the stock airbox with a k&n filter, with a rev up airbox, or should i just leave it how i have it now.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The decision is really yours to make. When I was younger, I really loved the sound of aftermarket intakes. The sound was worth the hp loss.

Air will flow a tiny bit better with a z tube and rev up box, but not enough to make you any faster. K&N filters do not filter as well as paper filters but I've never had any problems using them. I think the negative effects from using a K&N are very long term.

Now that I'm older, I prefer the sound of the stock setup. I like that the factory intake gives me the most hp. I'm also keeping my car for a while so I sticking with paper filters. As long as you change them a couple times a year, there is no performance benefit to using anything else.

I have to admit though.. I do miss the sound every once in a while.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
The oem set-up with K&N filter and rev-up velocity stack gives a nice sound as well. Obviously not as loud as the pop charger. But the Stillen CAI isn't as loud as the Pop charger either. Louder sound doesn't make more power and it surely doesn't make you any faster. If that were the case every 1.6 Honda with a fart can would be 10x faster. :0

Old 04-28-2009, 09:14 PM
ok so i uploaded the videos

please please please please!!

help me out with deciding which is better, they are both in simalar weatehr climates (about 75) degress, just early morning and dusk. please tell me which is faster, quite obciously though the JWT video is much meaner and louder. help me out! thanks!

With JWT Pop Charger w/ Ztube-http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/antdawg_01/?action=view&current=04-27-09_0713.flv
Stock AirBox w/ Ztube-http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l204/antdawg_01/?action=view&current=04-28-09_2042.flv

thanks!

Old 04-28-2009, 09:27 PM
and if anyone thinks its becuz of the morning thing nd my engine is colder or somthing, 2m for ****s nd giggles ill make another video under exact conditions, with the stock intake and z tbe for a better comparision.

help me out thogh, and spread the word about this thread, it can come in big handy when people are trying to decide between that or the stock air box!

please all feedback is helpful!

Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
This has been discussed many times already. They're both going to produce about the same amount of power, which isn't very much. The two main differences are the sound each makes and the vulnerability to heatsoak. The sound is entirely subjective. I prefer the sound of the stock airbox over the POP, but I also prefer the sound of the Rev-up airbox over the stock. As for heatsoak, that's more objective. The POP is more vulnerable to it. And it also costs alot more.

If you like the POP sound, then keep it. You won't notice the heatsoak issue because you won't have anything to compare it to. If you like the stock sound, then tweak it with a Rev-up. This isn't a decision any of us can make. You have to decide which sound you like better.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:57 PM
this topic has been beaten to death. Stock intake in combination with a K&N Filter and a Z-tube is the most efficient set up in terms of performance and heat soak IMO (in my opinion)

intakes do little in terms of performance so "feeling" a gain or loss of power would be all in your head. loss of throttle response is what you might be "feeling" IMO

Old 04-28-2009, 10:11 PM
ok so heres what i believe ive gatehreed

the sound is the only difference and any feeling i got of loss of power is just in my head.
and what i get should depend on the noise i like best (pop)

and that the loss of power i may be feeling is the loss of throttle response. so how can i change that, or is that unchangable.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by DJMaffei
ok so heres what i believe ive gatehreed

the sound is the only difference and any feeling i got of loss of power is just in my head.
and what i get should depend on the noise i like best (pop)

and that the loss of power i may be feeling is the loss of throttle response.
basically.

Originally Posted by djmaffei
so how can i change that, or is that unchangable.
since your an AT (automatic) go for some grounding wires. i've talked to a few AT owner's with grounding kits and they all said their throttle response was faster/smoother and the shifts were smoother. also for the AT the 10 wire kit is recommended.

PM Gordgee he makes good grounding kits.
http://www.groundinggear.com/ (his website)