Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Headers? Yes or no?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headers? Yes or no?

Hey guys,

I plan on getting a full exhaust, im convinced on getting test pipes and a catback exhaust from motordyne. Do you think that headers are worth it with a tune? I know they dont provide much gains for the amount you pay but i just wanted to hear some opinions. Also would anyone know how much labor would be for installing headers? Thanks.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not on a G35X.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Yes if you get a tune if not then No

Old 06-16-2009, 11:43 PM
No even with the tune. Absolutely, unquestionable the worst NA per dollar mod you can do.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
^^^ explain why? ...please

Old 06-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Beebo
The OEM manifolds are already almost like headers. Dynos typically show around 4 to 8whp with headers. Shops typically charge $400-500 for a header install.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
The OEM manifolds are already almost like headers. Dynos typically show around 4 to 8whp with headers. Shops typically charge $400-500 for a header install.
I agree.

I'd also like to add that 4 to 8 whp won't make a whole lot of difference on the G35x to justify the expense.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Beebo
OEM exhaust manifolds flow more than enough volume (efficiently) than any z/g with stock heads/cams can flow. Example...on the Function Tuned dyno the two highest whp DE's are mine and another car with almost identical mods, except he has strup headers (900-1000 installed)and 3.9 final drive......his car made .2whp more than mine. I actually made 2-3 more wtq than him. From my experience headers (aside from true, long tube headers) are good for only 1-2whp peak and maybe 3-4whp in the midrange. I can't stress enough that there are much better mods at this point (for the dollar) than headers. I am making a run at 300whp and have no plans to upgrade the headers.......if I can't get there and am at ~295 I might consider them. We'll see. At this point there are only 3 headers I would buy, and all would be over 1500 installed. One isn't even being sold yet. Tomei Vesrion 2's look promising (looking at the sizing used on the primaries, etc), crawfords (only real proven design for the z's at this point), and the SG long tubes (which aren't being widely produced and are expected to cost about ~2500 ).

Old 06-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Also it depends on weather or not you plan on going FI. if you plan on supercharging the definitely get headers but if you plan on a turbo then no

Old 06-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Different year models may produce more HP than others with headers. Mine is the 06 coupe 6MT. I noticed a difference in mine after I installed Stillen headers, mainly at top end. Mid and low ranges were not affected at all. It feels as if the gears were longer. Installation is not an easy task. The bends in the tubes make it difficult to reach the nuts for tightening during installation. The main parts to remove are the coolant tubing on both sides, loosing the air conditioner and generator to create a liitle more space to be able to reach from different angles. On the driver side you have to disconnect the the steering shaft from the coupler making sure it doesn't turn 360 degrees.. I'm not sure if you would be charged 400 to 500 for installation.. That would be very cheap I think. Headers run from very cheap to very expensive. I don't think the very expensive ones are going to surpass the benefits of the less expensive ones.. They are all about the same. Equal length seems to be the way to go as they provide for equal flow of exhaust gases.. Good luck to you.. HP is expensive !!!!

Old 06-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
OEM exhaust manifolds flow more than enough volume (efficiently) than any z/g with stock heads/cams can flow. Example...on the Function Tuned dyno the two highest whp DE's are mine and another car with almost identical mods, except he has strup headers (900-1000 installed)and 3.9 final drive......his car made .2whp more than mine. I actually made 2-3 more wtq than him. From my experience headers (aside from true, long tube headers) are good for only 1-2whp peak and maybe 3-4whp in the midrange. I can't stress enough that there are much better mods at this point (for the dollar) than headers. I am making a run at 300whp and have no plans to upgrade the headers.......if I can't get there and am at ~295 I might consider them. We'll see. At this point there are only 3 headers I would buy, and all would be over 1500 installed. One isn't even being sold yet. Tomei Vesrion 2's look promising (looking at the sizing used on the primaries, etc), crawfords (only real proven design for the z's at this point), and the SG long tubes (which aren't being widely produced and are expected to cost about ~2500 ).

SG Long Tubes ...

Old 06-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by CarlosM
Different year models may produce more HP than others with headers. Mine is the 06 coupe 6MT. I noticed a difference in mine after I installed Stillen headers, mainly at top end. Mid and low ranges were not affected at all. It feels as if the gears were longer. Installation is not an easy task. The bends in the tubes make it difficult to reach the nuts for tightening during installation. The main parts to remove are the coolant tubing on both sides, loosing the air conditioner and generator to create a liitle more space to be able to reach from different angles. On the driver side you have to disconnect the the steering shaft from the coupler making sure it doesn't turn 360 degrees.. I'm not sure if you would be charged 400 to 500 for installation.. That would be very cheap I think. Headers run from very cheap to very expensive. I don't think the very expensive ones are going to surpass the benefits of the less expensive ones.. They are all about the same. Equal length seems to be the way to go as they provide for equal flow of exhaust gases.. Good luck to you.. HP is expensive !!!!
Dyno proof? Unfortunately, like most header reviews they are based on butt dyno's. I have been playing with fast cars for over a decade and my butt dyno still sucks. I think people get carried away with the illusion of speed associated with the added sound. More noise does not equal more power.

Also making the gears feel longer would be a direct indication that car is slower or seems so.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can't swear by the Dyno. Dynos are good for tuning, the are not necessary indicators of how fast a car can go. Can you explain how longer gears are indicative of slower speeds.. Isn't getting more out of a gear the general practice in order to gaing more revs/speed before the next gear... I have not taken mine to the dyno, but as soon as I get the cams in I will.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:08 PM
So you are saying that a before and after dyno on the same dyno and day is not a good indicator..........then what is? Are you saying that the powerband is shifted further towards the top of the powerband? If so I have too question that. Power will still die off at the same point without tuning. Once you get cams you might actually have some use for headers, but prior to that they are worthless.

/end thread.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headers? Yes or no?