Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Those that use the 3" MAF....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
funny this has turned into a VB thread instead of a 3in MAF, but good info though.

AJcool we need to race someday since we are 2 of the fastest 5ats in the mid-atlantic. I'm finally going to look at places in MD this weekend near B-More.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dsskyline
funny this has turned into a VB thread instead of a 3in MAF, but good info though.

AJcool we need to race someday since we are 2 of the fastest 5ats in the mid-atlantic. I'm finally going to look at places in MD this weekend near B-More.
AJ you need to get it tuned man........that thing is going to boogie with tuning and 3" maf.

When are you headed to the track again?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:56 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
maybe my new vid this weekend will help you change your mind.

I plan on going to the track and take some vid inside and out. I also have a dash and track vid with just the stillen VB also that I will combine with the new one.

Thanks for the kudos Mike you've driven my car with the Stillen it shifts 10x harder now.

How is the car any new mods?
tons of custom body work and color change (could have went FI )... but no performance stuff...

Old 08-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got a PM from JJellow, quite a price increase, he charges $260....looks like I will be calling the place where I found it for $225 tomorrow!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by GJ Hazlett
Just got a PM from JJellow, quite a price increase, he charges $260....looks like I will be calling the place where I found it for $225 tomorrow!
Cool!! So your going to do it yourself? I think I might come out to newport news this weekend pm me if you are free.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
AJ you need to get it tuned man........that thing is going to boogie with tuning and 3" maf.

When are you headed to the track again?
Have you taken your car to track with your new numbers? I plan on getting mine tuned by Dave when it gets cooler maybe late sept or oct. I'm not AJ. I've been wanting to race him for awhile we've talked through pms on launching.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Not since the maf and retune, but in early April I ran a best of 13.48 @104.XX (247whp on Dave's DD). I don't expect to do too much better than that next time out because the new clutch is very tricky. I'll mainly focus on mph next time (hopefully ~107mph) and launch point. I am hoping in the fall with temps in the 50-60's it will turn some 13.2's on street tires. I am also looking to get 3.9 FD, another tune with a few little things w/ race gas, and DR's in the fall and make a strong run at 12's. We'll see though.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:47 PM
Cool!! So your going to do it yourself? I think I might come out to newport news this weekend pm me if you are free.
I plan on it..I have my son this weekend and heading to PA to see my parents so I will be out of town again...one of these weekends we will get together! I really want to go for a ride in your car to feel the 5AT shift.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Bought the shift kit today but it was not at the $225 I was quoted...guy I talked to made a mistake...I got it for $240 plus $12 shipping so the $260 shipped from JJyellow is not that bad of a deal...

For the ATF is the only brand/place to get it is at the dealer or can I use another brand that meets the spec?

Old 08-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Found the Matic-S fluid for $7.79 a qt..guess I will be placing on order for that as well!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Well here is what I'm going to do with the 3in MAF it fits on the z-tube so I will use that for now.

I took the car to the track and because of the humidity I couldn't get good traction the car ran consistant 14.2@100. I'll post the vid later i was chirping the 1-2 and sometimes the 2-3 shift.

I know when it gets cooler it will definately be faster. I raced a new challenger R/T he beat me, but I think if he was on street tires instead of DR's I would of got him. I'll post that vid also.

I plan on getting a 3.7 FD I already have the 3.5FD.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Looks like a decent fit Derek… how hard was it to get the Z tube collar over the MAF housing? Its got to be pretty tight… is there any chance of it splitting?

Also, relative to the tbs or plenum spacer – how noticeable are the gains from this? I still don’t understand how gains can be made with a bigger diameter MAF housing without having bigger induction tube, throttle body, bored intake runners – basically bigger all the way to combustion chamber.

I asked Tony Collette what his thought were – he said if there are gains they would be minimal… I asked him if it was due to the maf sensor being tricked by added airflow (even the there isn’t anything happening past that) – he hasn’t responded.

Has anyone given an explanation of how this mod could give gains?

I’m not knocking the mod – just trying to get a better understanding of what it could be doing…

Old 08-08-2009, 01:31 PM
I think because of the added airflow around the sensor. I hear that the car will barely hold idle once the stock MAF is switched out without a tune.

I plan on having Function Tuned retune my car with the this when it gets cooler. I'm now prone to various temp changes living over here versus living in socal.

Dave told me he will do a baseline pull with the stock then we will switch to the 3in MAF set-up while still on the dyno.

Actually it's not a very tight fit you just have to loosen the metal clamp on the z-tube more for it to slide in.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by OCG35
Looks like a decent fit Derek… how hard was it to get the Z tube collar over the MAF housing? Its got to be pretty tight… is there any chance of it splitting?

Also, relative to the tbs or plenum spacer – how noticeable are the gains from this? I still don’t understand how gains can be made with a bigger diameter MAF housing without having bigger induction tube, throttle body, bored intake runners – basically bigger all the way to combustion chamber.

I asked Tony Collette what his thought were – he said if there are gains they would be minimal… I asked him if it was due to the maf sensor being tricked by added airflow (even the there isn’t anything happening past that) – he hasn’t responded.

Has anyone given an explanation of how this mod could give gains?

I’m not knocking the mod – just trying to get a better understanding of what it could be doing…
I think the best people to ask this question would be Z1 since they made it and have it on their 300hp N/A Z.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:38 PM
The only reason I didn't use the stock z-tube was I just didn't like how the stock tube necks down slightly at the bend. It certainly fits, but in my mind $130 for the Samco seemed like a limited cost to ensure maximum gains.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Those that use the 3" MAF....