Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Calling 05+ Sedans with Coupe Midpipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
^ I think those only work for the HR motor not the DE

Old 05-20-2010, 01:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by myGi$Gangsta
^ I think those only work for the HR motor not the DE
The HR y-pipe would work but not the hr hfc?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:32 AM
^ the HR Y pipe definitely works. Not sure about the cats though

Old 05-21-2010, 11:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by myGi$Gangsta
^ that's gonna sound mad raspy with straight pipes from cats to muffler
can you explain why?? You run test pipes dont you... IMO those are raspy... all the straight pipes i've heard are very deep and more drone sounding than raspy... don't get me wrong... i hate raspy sounding exhausts, and i would never want that on my car... but i havent heard that straight pipes coming from cats to muffler creates rasp...

Old 06-17-2010, 07:56 PM
will it be the same if i instead of changing to coupe midpipe substitute my resonator for a straight pipe? will it add power? will it be too loud?

Old 06-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by AceG35X
can you explain why?? You run test pipes dont you... IMO those are raspy... all the straight pipes i've heard are very deep and more drone sounding than raspy... don't get me wrong... i hate raspy sounding exhausts, and i would never want that on my car... but i havent heard that straight pipes coming from cats to muffler creates rasp...
I have stock cats but I want high flow cats. I have an aftermarket muffler with an 05 midpipe with resonator removied (straight pipe in its place) and 08 g35 HR Y pipe and it sounds nice and deep, louder than the coupe with some drone but not too much that is embarassing. If I removed my cats and added test pipes it would sound like a loud civic with a fartcan. If you add testpipes don't remove the midpipe resonator, and if u remove the midpipe resonator don't add midpipes but high flow cats should be fine.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Dani01c
will it be the same if i instead of changing to coupe midpipe substitute my resonator for a straight pipe? will it add power? will it be too loud?
I did it. Not sure if it adds power but it makes it flow better and you gain a deep note. If you have an 03-04 sedan you lose around 30lbs. If you replace the resonator with a straight pipe don't run it on your stock muffler cuz it sounds terrible. Get an aftermarket muffler like megan racing or HKS if ur not on a budget

Old 06-18-2010, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by BlkSedan4me
I did it. Not sure if it adds power but it makes it flow better and you gain a deep note. If you have an 03-04 sedan you lose around 30lbs. If you replace the resonator with a straight pipe don't run it on your stock muffler cuz it sounds terrible. Get an aftermarket muffler like megan racing or HKS if ur not on a budget
i actually have an 05 sedan 5AT, everything is stock except z tube which i didnt feel any gains from it lol! i m looking at the mid pipe and all i see is just a smaller resonator, thats why i thought if i put a straight pipe in my midpipe it would be cheaper than coupe middy, im also thinking HR y pipe but have doubts if it better to put on the OEM y pipes or DE after market ones

Old 06-18-2010, 08:44 AM
^ you can put a straight pipe in place of the resonator. The one that I have is from an 05 sedan. Is so light! But get a muffler too don't do it with the stock exhaust. I saw a video on youtube of a sedan with resonator removed and stock muffler and sounded like azz. But it might of been an 03-04 sedan, the muffler is smaller than the 05-06 oem muffler.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Dani01c
i actually have an 05 sedan 5AT, everything is stock except z tube which i didnt feel any gains from it lol! i m looking at the mid pipe and all i see is just a smaller resonator, thats why i thought if i put a straight pipe in my midpipe it would be cheaper than coupe middy, im also thinking HR y pipe but have doubts if it better to put on the OEM y pipes or DE after market ones
I have the HR-Y, 05 sedan mid and HKS, sounds great! Might be a little mellow for some, but it definitely howls at WOT. BTW if you're looking for a cheaper alternative to a coupe mid, I don't understand why you'd also look at an expensive aftermarket Y-pipe. I doubt anyone would notice the perfomance difference between an HR and an aftermarket unit, anyway. And the small coupe resonator does serve a purpose (sound resonation, as the name implies); Kevco here in Calgary added one to his 05 with aftermarket axleback setup and it really improved the tone. Eliminating everything you can from the total exhaust is not always the best route to sound and/or performance, IMO.

Last edited by Swivel; 06-18-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
I have the HR-Y, 05 sedan mid and HKS, sounds great! Might be a little mellow for some, but it definitely howls at WOT. BTW if you're looking for a cheaper alternative to a coupe mid, I don't understand why you'd also look at an expensive aftermarket Y-pipe. I doubt anyone would notice the perfomance difference between an HR and an aftermarket unit, anyway. And the small coupe resonator does serve a purpose (sound resonation, as the name implies); Kevco here in Calgary added one to his 05 with aftermarket axleback setup and it really improved the tone. Eliminating everything you can from the total exhaust is not always the best route to sound and/or performance, IMO.
ok so i should better get the coupe midpipe, i found this guy selling it at $60 ill try to lower yo $50.. somehow it is very difficult for me to find a damn HR y pipe out of a 350z or a g35 here in Puerto Rico..