Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Plenum Shootout test.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ I wonder if it gives up mid range?... I'm mostly concerned with mean torque average. It's interesting that so many people boast about dyno numbers and almost always state peak hp (even though a high mean avg for torque is more impressive to me). I'm not suggesting you do this though.

I look forward to your results.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
^^^ I wonder if it gives up mid range?... I'm mostly concerned with mean torque average. It's interesting that so many people boast about dyno numbers and almost always state peak hp (even though a high mean avg for torque is more impressive to me). I'm not suggesting you do this though.

I look forward to your results.
Take a look, these are pretty bold numbers. No loss but just much more power because of the extension of the revband.
http://www.kinetixracing.com/new-ssv...zg3503-06.aspx

Nope, you read my mind, I actually don't look at peak that much, but i think most people are more interested in peak rather then area under the curve. This is one of the main reason I went with a full blown NA stroker build, the TQ curve from this is much more appealing then peak power. If i was looking for big power then I would have definitely gone another route.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
G35 Coupe "Sport Package"
Originally Posted by gabe3d
I don't disagree...but the extra money you pay compared to a spacer is worthless.
you can't really make that statement because the Crawford is an option that is no longer available...unfortunately. you can buy a used one for the cost of a spacer and at least have something that performs the same and looks nice under hood...especially if you have it polished.

considering that the Crawford was really the only tried and true option available when I first bought mine, I would not say worthless. the cost is all relative to the place in time and what was available. had there been a more affordable, proven spacer option available, I probably would have gone that direction as well. I had several conversations with Doug @ Crawford before I purchased their products and they all have performed as promised.

like OCG35 said, MD was created after Crawford had already developed and proven their plenum. if it were today I would certainly purchase the MD 1/2 spacer with MREV2, but there is absolutely no reason to replace my Crawford with a spacer. I expect to continue to use my Crawford V5 with the MREV2 and later with a Vortech and expect the same great performance it has always provided me since 2003, between 2 G's and 55K miles. Crawford makes great, proven products and were some of the only options available for us early 2003 model cars. I am still running my original Crawford cats from my first G with no issues and those are still a great option available today. the fact that I am still running the Crawford products 6 years after original purchase proves they are most certainly not worthless. some of the aftermarket crap I have seen in my 42 years with over 15 years of modding cars did not last a year or had constant problems.

just think worthless is too strong of a term to use as it is all subjective. carbs are not worthless, they have just been replaced by manufacturers due to better technology. it is called progress, but not worthless.

nothing against you, just defending products I feel are worthy of recommendation not only because I have them, but because of Crawfords excellent reputation for quality and proven performance.

peace...out.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gabe,
Although I do beleive another plenium test is great I must agree with intense powers requests.
I think it's great that you are doing this and I personally havent used their products (intense) the test performed on your engine is totally irrelevant to 9/10 of the users here.
I would love to have a modded engine like yours and hope to do so someday but this test should be done on a bone stock motor as most of the power claims from the manufacturers are baised on this.
Sadly, the other thread has turned into too much bickering.
I also beleive the test is worthless unless all plenum manufactures are allowed to participate, just because someone dosen't like a certain manufactures previous product shouldnt exclude them from providing an updated product.
I as others greatly appreciate what you are doing but we need to realize that the gains or losses you acheive are not what anyone else would get on a relatively stock motor.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
DRG35R,

Like i said above, worthless is perhaps the wrong word to use and hence the reason why I updated the first post, but the dilemma as you have also noted and agreed still is there. What does the extra money you have to pay (or had to pay) for the Crawford bring to the table. There was a time when both were available and the spacer has always been the cheaper of the two.

Dave,

Agree with you on everything. If my intentions were to truly provide a shootout and nothing else then it obviously wouldn't be done on my G35, I would do it on my 350z (which is practically stock other then a powerlab spacer), but the fact of the matter is I am a user and the resource and time is limited and for my benefit it makes sense to do it on my G35. The purpose is here was to share my testing results and not to hand out medals.

The test is not to disprove anyone's claim but really to find out what the better plenum is, though it is on my not so common G35. Perhaps I should have entitled the thread "Plenum Shootout on a modified NA car". Like I have said in the other thread we routinely see independents comps, but how often are those done on bone stock cars. The only time that is done is inside of mags or from a manufacturers dyno testing.

The reason behind the initial picking of manufacturers was due to the fact that those parts showed consistent gains. The one that didn't were left out for obvious reasons. Keep in mind that I'm also an enduser and as such some limitation arises from it like i mentioned above. I left the decision up to the manufacturer to participate or not, it's their prerogative to decide whether it will benefit them or not. I didn't force anyone and have taken open suggestions to see how the test should be conducted. The only drawback from the manufacturer will have is shipping cost and for the reason of research and data gathering alone getting these results can only help their cause.

I'll post the results up when they are done and let people decide on their own accord if they deem the results to be useful for them. If it does then I'm glad otherwise it doesn't hurt anyone or any manufacturer (they can easily discredit my test and call it a one off, I won't be hurt either). I like these kind of information, even if it's done on a car completely different then mine, and I'm sure there are guys like this out there.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Understood, and thanks for the reply!

Old 10-30-2009, 03:35 PM
I just read the drama thread on my350Z: http://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhau...ut-test-2.html … I’ve known Tony (Motordyne) for several years; he has the best customer service I have dealt with in any industry – he is very bright and produces proven products…

Intense Motorsports I do not know personally – however, I’ve seen a lot of less than professional posts from him/them using the user name Intensepower, I’ve always been turned off by the juvenile type posts. Additionally I’ve heard and read of countless issues from Intense (poor cust svc)… personally I wouldn’t deal with them at all.

BTW – there is a thread on this forum about their cust svc: https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...power-com.html … and the foolish response given by Intense is “those whom have never purchased a product from us and yet sling mud”… #1, how does the guy know who has and has not purchased? For instance, he has no idea if I’ve ever bought anything from him (in fact he’d be shocked if he did know certain things) – but he tries to make himself look good by implying negative comments are unfounded and unwarranted. More crap representation of Intense as far as I’m concerned.

Intensepower – if you read this, yes I think you’re demeanor is crap and there are sh!tloads of negative reports regarding your cust service (seems like your sh!tty attitude on the forums must also be the way you conduct business).

So yes, I’m looking forward to the plenum shootout – and seeing what responses are given.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Man, it will be good to see the outcome of different plenum mods for different applications.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Holy dramaville:

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-d...can-see-3.html

ANGRY RED, GREEN, BLACK BOLD UNDERLINED AND OVERSIZED FONT! GRRRRRR.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by officerdbag
Holy dramaville:

http://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-d...can-see-3.html

ANGRY RED, GREEN, BLACK BOLD UNDERLINED AND OVERSIZED FONT! GRRRRRR.
welcome to 6 days ago it was linked 2 posts up.

Edit - actually the thread that that one started from was linked... that thread was linked in the thread two posts up (as confusing as it is drama). Anyway - that whole thing between Intense and Motordyne is over-dramatized. I'm not impressed by the juvenile demeanor in many of Intense posts. On the other hand, Motordyne has always been fair and professional.

Last edited by OCG35; 11-05-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ I agree. Intense has its goods and bads.. I've done a good deal with them to be honest.. But Darren= Cocky Douche. Hands down.

I also have no idea whats up with the locals hanging off intense's *****.

Anyway, sorry for the thread jack. Carry on.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Wow. I just got done reading through all the threads you guys linked, quite the drama. Props to Tony for always keeping his cool and not reducing himself to name calling .

OP, I hope all goes well with your shootout. Too bad you don't live closer, or I'd attend .

Old 11-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Received 40 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow... I love G35driver...

Old 11-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Old 11-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Hold The Line

Received 622 Likes on 406 Posts
Draaamaaaa

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Plenum Shootout test.