Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Advanced Resonance Tuning (ART Pipes)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:45 AM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Nice! When you getting them on?

Tony, can I get a price quote for them picked up?

Old 02-14-2010, 02:30 AM
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Not sure when I'll install them but it's going to be within 2 months. I'll also get some dynos comparing it to some other stuff for you guys.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by alfhasg35
it's on their website.. oh.. i just checked the website and ...

ur webpage says " I N F I N I T Y "

just wanted to let you guys know Tony..

Alf
Thanks. My website developer has a team of code writers that likes to write code while in dark rooms. They don't get out much.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:44 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
I didnt realize that those extensions were for the O2 sensors til you posted up those pics. O2 sensors will still get a good reading there?

Tony, with the remote location like that would having a wideband bung welded in affect performance at all?
Probably not. With test pipes the sensor doesn't seem to make a difference to teh dyno results.

If you want, you would put the sensor into the sidebranch helmholtz resonator.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by PTownG
isn't that the same basic concept the hks exhaust employs on their mufflers?
Its a side branch resonator but for a different purpose. As used on the HKS exhaust, it eliminates drone. As used on the art pipes (up close to the engine), it has a strong effect on the power curve.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by gabe3d
Tony, forgot to ask you this in the post above. Why is there some steel wool like material inside of the O2 bung?
Its to slow the diffusion of gasses before it reaches the O2 sensor. This helps to prevent the CEL from turning on.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Do you already have an FI G35 sponsored car?

I'm on the east coast but would love to test these out and report back the results.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
No. Not yet.

What setup do you have?

Old 02-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Stock block, Greddy Twin, rc440, wideband, Carbonetics Triple.

Currently setup with stock cats and borla/custom exhaust.

I also have Crawford HFC's and non-res testpipes, both need the additional wideband bung welded in. I've been going back and forth on which to use, and now you've come up with a better solution which combines both of what I already have into one product!

You've really piqued my interested.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Probably not. With test pipes the sensor doesn't seem to make a difference to teh dyno results.

If you want, you would put the sensor into the sidebranch helmholtz resonator.

Something like these locations?

Old 02-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
very nice to see these in production Tony

Is the other part still on the table? (your previous pitch meetings)...

Also, I remember you testing various lengths with varied results... obviously the version you are offering has been determined to be most beneficial - but is there a chance that different exhaust manifolds and cam phasing would benefit from a different length Helmholtz resonator?

It probably wouldn't be feasible to offer varied lengths (or adjustable) - but I'm curious if it would make a difference?

Congrats on your continued advancements

Old 02-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the sound on these louder than an hfc? And since an hfc won't be in this design, will there be an hfc pipe also coming out?

660 is pretty steep. I'd buy these for 360.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by jsky350gt
Is the sound on these louder than an hfc? And since an hfc won't be in this design, will there be an hfc pipe also coming out?

660 is pretty steep. I'd buy these for 360.
lol.. For $360 ?? That is funny.. It's not a Honda buddy.. And this product is unlike any hfc, test pipes out there.. Have u even priced what other companies charge for their hfc's/testpipes.??

Obviously not..

Old 02-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alfhasg35
lol.. For $360 ?? That is funny.. It's not a Honda buddy.. And this product is unlike any hfc, test pipes out there.. Have u even priced what other companies charge for their hfc's/testpipes.??

Obviously not..
yea i have. but these are not hfc's. quality hfc's are 400-600. test pipes are 150-300.

$360 sounds fair.....max 415 but that's pushing it. After all, at the end of the day, these are test pipes & NOT hfc's. Amazing design but 600+ is insanity.

People hate on Apple for making such a massive profit on the iPhone and iPad considering the cost to manufacture the part.....these are pipes....pieces of metal welded together.....i can't imagine them costing that much to make....especially when you can probably expect a knock off to be made and come out for 1/3 of the price as with the hks.

the best design always gets copied. i noticed the patent pending, but it's hard to imagine it getting granted. it's a hemholtz design that's becoming rather typical in exhausts....only now it's being used in test pipes....awesome idea, but other companies should be able to copy it....will help us, the consumer, in getting a fair price.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
This design is very interesting. I'll be really curious to see a before and after Dynojet of the ART pipes vs the OEM cats. The thing I'm trying to wrap my head around is the gains/differences of the ART pipes vs the OEM cats. The gain are clearly there above 3500rpms, but losses of the ART pipes in the lower rpms is pretty significant. However, when the ART pipes are compared to TPs, it makes large gains in the lower rpms. So is one to deduce that the ART pipes:

1) Have significant losses in the lower rpms when compared to OEM cats
2) Have significant gains in the lower rpms when compared to TPs.
3) TPs have MAJOR low rpm losses. Using the data provided, it would appear TPs loose up to 45wtq in the lower rpm over the stock cats. That seems a bit shocking and have never shows TPs loosing much of any power below 3000rpms.

The use of Helmholtz resonators in exhaust systems is nothing new as lots of mufflers employee a similiar design, but the use of the resonators up near the motor has to be a first.

A few concerns I have:

1) Will the chambers collect water vapor? I honestly don't know if this would be an issue or not seeing that the cats are gone.

2) What about long term vibration on the welds? I know the pipes are very light, but I'd think utilizing the OEM tranny mounting points would be more ideal.

3) I'm still not convinced that running TPs on these cars doesn't cause some sort of oil consumption issue.

All concerns set aside, kudos to Tony for another outside-the-box mod option. The gains and reduction in noise/rasp will be worth the price of admission for many.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advanced Resonance Tuning (ART Pipes)