Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Installed R2C Intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:04 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Ha the funny man speaks. The snorkel won't fit any more becuase the catch can is in the way. You had a good idea though

Old 04-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Banned
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I freaking love mine as well. My only concern when I installed it was the front of the box would sag a little and not completely seal against the hood. I fabbed a small bracket and painted it black to support the front of the intake and attached it with the bolt for the radiator support. The box is solid as a rock now and no sag. You can see the bracket in the pic at the front left edge of the airbox.

So obliviously the top of the filter is covered when the hood is down, and I can see that the sides are covered by the shield. What about the bottom, is it open. If the only place you are getting air from is the skinny black plastic inlet that attaches to the airbox, I cant see how this is a better intake than the stock box.
If it is for a Z then I can see it making more sense since we have an opening in the front.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:12 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Move the catch can.

and vote

Old 05-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
the "little hole" attaches to a duct that draws air from the grille (OEM and Stillen use it)... it's the coldest air you are able to get with the way the G is designed.

This intake (at least in the pic) draws air from where>?.....

I gave up on this intake shortly after it came out... for various reasons. But your logic about where its getting its air source is a big reason not to use it.

*Edit - I just realized you dont even know where the air source is on the OEM... the opening on TOP of the air box is not its air source... look at an OEM intake - or a Stillen... or look at pics in my garage and you'll see what I'm talking about...
The one above is just the kit for your own tube. I bought the entire kit and it has a cut out for the factory duct on the side. But I thinking of getting some tubing and creating my own air flow from the lower vents up to the box also. I also got the R2C tube which for G35 is kind of square through the middle. If you do some research it says air travels faster over a flat surface compared to a curved surface, this is why if you look inside the vacuum tubes of a Kirby, they are actually octagon shape inside not just a circle or curved.

Anyhow, it sounds great even with fac exhaust, and I talked a friend with a 06 Z into buying just the kit as pictured above and the Z has a little hole where air passes through.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Red Card Crew

^^^ considering that all exhaust tubes are round, I'd have to disagree with the notion that air moves faster over a flat surface. NASCAR uses squashed looking exhaust systems but I think it's for ground clearance vs power.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
^^^ considering that all exhaust tubes are round, I'd have to disagree with the notion that air moves faster over a flat surface. NASCAR uses squashed looking exhaust systems but I think it's for ground clearance vs power.
It is for ground clearance, must be at least 3 inches, (3 uncles are part time Nascar officials, one used to have a room in garage full of confiscated illegal parts) The kirby thing is true, I sold them for while when I was 18, almost 14 years ago. Not real sure about it either?

Old 05-25-2010, 05:23 PM
^^also I think it would expensive and nearly imposible to make a square or pentagon shaped exhaust and keep it the same width through the turns and bends.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Red Card Crew

Actually it wouldn't be that hard. All kinds of square tube stock around. And to bend it, you'd need a square mandrel.

If you can find some data that suggests air flows though a square tube faster than a round one, I'd look at it.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
this is one rare instance where Jeff and I agree...

I dont believe a square "tube" is going to flow better than a round "tube"...

The statement that air flows better over a flat surface than round may (or may not) be true - but it's not relevant here... we are addressing a tube - meaning you can flow air over a flat board and it might have better flow characteristics than one that curves upward or downward... but that's not the same as saying it flows better through a square versus round pipe/tube.

Its hard to believe that the vast majority of OEM and aftermarket intake and exhaust tubes are round when there would be benefit from being square.

But for a third party take on it, here is a random post from a thread on a Hot Rod forum:

"For a given cross sectional area, all pipes do not flow equally. Round pipe flows well because of its radially uniform contact with the flow. The gasses flowing through a round tube will react equally when they contact any side of the pipe.

With a square tube, the "frictional" differences make flow patterns less predicatable and turbulence more sheared in the corners of the tube.

So, if you had a round tube and a square tube of the same exact cross-sectional area, two things are working against you of you use the square tubing. 1) the 90 degree corners of the pipe will cause turbulence and flow less than the same area of round tubing, and 2) although mild, the added surface area inside a square tube imparts more restriction to the flow.

One benefit will be increased heat dissipation over the length of the tube from that added surface area. Its also a bit of a moot point... If you were going to use 2.5" round tubing, just substitute 3" square tubing and it will compensate for the reduced flow. In general it takes about 34% more area in a square tube to flow the same mass as round tube."

here's the thread:
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/squa...ing-92646.html

Also, as for drawing air form the bottom vents in you bumper - tests have shown ambient temps from 6" off the ground to be as much as 20* hotter than temps at grille level.

But dont let me stop you from your project.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed my r2c half kit on a 2003 6mt g35 coupe I installed the OEM ztube with the powerflow half kit, it was a little short in order for it to fit perfectly with the ztube I had to extend the ztube a few inches to get a perfect fit.