Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

installed kinetix resonated test-pipe n y pipe

Old 09-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installed kinetix resonated test-pipe n y pipe

I have never understood what rasp sounds like. When I push my car hard, 3K+, I hear buzzing/rattling sound. I'm wondering if that is what rasp sound is? it's not too bad or too loud but...

I thought resonated test pipe was supposed to reduce that?
Maybe it's the y-pipe rattling. Dont know yet... hmmm I'll let it break-in few more days...

04c/Black/AT/PIAA/AL padel/smoked clear corner/6th grounded-wire/z-tube/pop-charger/UR pully/Data grille/Gialla spoiler/15% tint/Kinetix test pipe resonator/OBX y-pipe

Old 09-24-2004, 01:01 PM
Re: installed kinetix resonated test-pipe n y pipe

I just installed a pair of Kinetix cats this morning at my friend's shop.

After installing them, I was getting a bad buzz/rattle, from just above idle all the way up to about 4000rpm. I could feel it under my heel as I was driving. We put the car back on the lift and bent the heat shield a little to try to get more clearance with the cat.

That seemed to help a bit, but now I get vibration right around 3000rpms and it was very annoying today when i was just cruising along at moderate speed.

Can anybody give me an idea on how i might be able to get more clearance between the cat and the heat shield?

Old 10-08-2004, 05:02 AM

i had the same exact experience than after 2 weeks the vibration just went away, now i will sometimes get the LITTLEST sound comin from it in 1st gear accel.... imo the cats are ehhhhhh

2003 Laser Red 6 spd coupe
Stillen Intake w\ Z tube
Kinetix HF Cats & Plenum
U/R Crank pulley
w\ nav...

Old 10-08-2004, 06:27 PM

Everyone that has or had cats felt that vibration. One of the things that I did was to take out the heat shields over the cats which helped a lot but still made the noise. After some time I just put my stock cats back on and the noise was gone. Nothing like feeling your car like brand new again. The cats helps with performance but the rattle, buzz sound wasn't cutting for me. I felt my Greddy Evo II felt a lot quieter with stock cats which I didn't want but... Guess I'll have to try different cats like RT or crawford. Kinetix has some fitment issues.

Old 10-09-2004, 02:25 AM

yeah... well i'm not buying anymore kinetic products... maybe i'll try crawford or labree after my next inspection.

04c/Black/AT/PIAA/AL padel/smoked clear corner/6th grounded-wire/z-tube/pop-charger/UR pully/Data grille/Gialla spoiler/15% tint/Kinetix test pipe resonator/OBX y-pipe/BlueBat's overlay

Old 10-26-2004, 10:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a very early set of Kinetix cats and they had very little clearance from the heat shield. I ended up trading Kintex for another set, and the new set is perfect.

'04 6MT coupe

Old 11-12-2004, 09:42 PM

Can someone describe the raspy sound in detail.
I heard one that is more metallic sounding under the mid section of the car around the ypipe area. It sounded like someone left some bb's in the ypipe and everytime u rev above 3g they rattle. Is that what you guys are experiencing?
thanks.