Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Y pipe install got me so angry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 12:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Y pipe install got me so angry

After two days I am still so pissed off I could SH#T a brick
On Saturday, I took my G to a local Meineke shop that was recommend by my mechanic.
I wanted them to install the Y pipe that I got from the $190 group buy.
The shop was very busy so I had to wait a bit, but finally the white shirt (manager) drove the car unto the lift and told him that I wanted the Y pipe installed and that I would show the mechanic exactly what I wanted done. Given that they were about to close; the hourly rate is $55 ; I will be unable to get it back to the shop for another 3 weeks; it required some welding and I really wanted to get this thing done. When he said he would charge me $100 off the books for the job. I agreed.
He walked off..and I proceeded to tell the mechanic exactly what I wanted done.
the end of the pipe is not the same diameter of the oem pipe.
Yes it will bolt up,...........BUT! going from a 3" pipe diameter to 2 1/2" will create a 1/4" high ringed wall that will reduce flow and the gain's . Therefore it is necessary to use a 3" to 2 1/2" transition tube to negate the bad flow of the mismatched pipes. The Y pipe should get me 5-7 hp, but I could lose 1 -2 hp because of the mismatched pipe.
So I explain all of this in detail to the mechanic. Remember the Y pipe will bolt on but will leave a gap (inside the collector) if a reducer is not used. Therefore I expect that he would have some welding to do. They wanted cash..so I walk over the an ATM next door and also got a soda.
I was back in about 20 minutes.....and he was done.
WHAT THE @#$%%. Nobody is that quick.
So I asked him..did you put in the reducer, he says, " no it was not necessary to do that because the pipe fit perfectly.
OfK the flange will fit but what about the pipe. Well I am so pissed I could hardly speak. The white shirt comes over, I tell him the problem. He says. sorry I did not tell him that information and that if I wanted it redone it would cost me $200.
I am still so pissed I can hardly type this post.
To sumarize - I got the owner's contact information; a receipt (at one point white shirt stuck my keys in his pocket when I asked for a receipt). Remember this was supposed to be off the books.
No Meineke franshise fees!

I am planning on call the owner (white shirt's brother in law); Meineke HQ and Better Business if I don't get back my money.

I don't even when them to touch my G

I am so pissed<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by irony on 09/27/04 10:03 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-27-2004, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Y pipe install got me so angry

I think they're all crooks (and most of them, also not the sharpest tools in the shed either ;-) Sorry for your bad experience...I feel your anguish. I spent $100 at a local muffler shop just to get my Coupe midpipe installed which fits perfectly except for a couple of very minor parts that just barely touched the new midpipe (so for the extra $25 he modified one piece and welded it back on and removed the other piece -- just a heat shield). Somehow, someway, these guys always get $100 or more for any install even if it takes them 20 min. (and their hourly rate is $60/hr.)...they're all crooks!

But, more importantly...how's the Y pipe???? Is the exhaust note deeper? Do you feel more power? Are you happy with your decision to purchase the Y pipe (I know, I know...the install was a PITA)?

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Sport Wheels, Alum. Pedals, Tint, Z Tube, K&N, Coupe Midpipe<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 09/27/04 10:26 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-27-2004, 02:23 PM
Devil's Advocate

Sounds like alot of grief just for 1-2 hp. My advice is to skip the reducer altogether. It's a pain to weld it on, and if you want to replace the rest of the exhaust later it'll be an even bigger pain to remove it and replace the flange.

Old 09-27-2004, 03:34 PM

This is one of the reasons I chose to hold off on the Y pipe from DT and got the Coupe midpipe instead. I love it; my G35 sounds more like our '03 FX35 (much deeper exaust note) and it may have increased HP as well. For about the same price as the Y pipe, I'm very pleased with my decision to get the Coupe midpipe..I would highly recommend it for any G35 Sedan with stock exhaust!

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Sport Wheels, Alum. Pedals, Tint, Z Tube, K&N, Coupe Midpipe

Old 09-27-2004, 05:42 PM

Irony:
I hate to say "I told you so!", but, remember my little post in
the $190 Y-pipe group buy thread? I'll post it here again for
you:
-------------
"You must know someont in a muffler shop that can actually weld."

Haha, exactly what I was thinking. I've been to 6 different muffler shops, in 2 different areas: SF Bay Area and San Diego. I've had nothing but trouble with my "custom" mufflershop jobs. None of the shops I went to took the time necessary to do a good job. They all rush you in and rush you out, even when you make an "appointment". All the welding and flanging work that they've done has warped or leaked at one point. I spent over $800+ in muffler shop fees trying to get my exhaust on my turbocharged Eclipse right.

Take it from someone who's been there and done that: Muffler shops and "custom" jobs are the worst. Unless you have a really good shop, don't waste your time and money.
-------------

Looks like you got to experience it for yourself. Next time,
do your research and purchase a Y-pipe that was designed
right in the first place, so that you don't have to bother with
this kinda crap.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:16 AM

Frankly, I have not noticed a difference since I installed the Y pipe. maybe because I am so pissed. I did notice that the oem pipe, is just a big heavy pipe that looked as it was about to rust away...oh and I also noticed the smell.
Maybe this mod was not worth it....or just maybe I need to change the oem cats to high flow.
As soon as one mod is done; I am off to the next.
This way I never have to acknowledge how much $$$ I am spending to make a perfectly good car just a tad bit better.

Old 09-28-2004, 11:43 AM

Get the Coupe midpipe!!!!! ;-) Again, sorry for your bad experience installing the Y pipe, but if you get the Coupe midpipe (www.PerformanceNissanParts.com for $235 + shipping or get it from "GoSooners" on the Forum; he's selling his Coupe midpipe now for $125) and install it, you'll be a lot happier!!! ;-)

https://g35driver.com/classifieds/pa...x=29&item=2774

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Sport Wheels, Alum. Pedals, Tint, Z Tube, K&N, Coupe Midpipe<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 09/28/04 09:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-28-2004, 05:06 PM

Yes, I have one available with gaskets and all... Thanks for the plug bsgoren

Black 5AT Coupe, Navi, Falken Koblenz 19", HKS Legamax Exhaust, ZTube/Stillen, Grounding Kit, RSR Springs, Tokico DSpec Shocks

Old 09-28-2004, 05:11 PM

I pm "GoSooners"
Is this an aftermarket part?
I think high flow cat has a bigger grin factor<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by irony on 09/28/04 02:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-28-2004, 06:42 PM

It's a genuine Nissan part...my Coupe midpipe has "Nissan" stamped right on it; it's the exact same midpipe used in the G35 Coupe. It's just much less restrictive (it has a much smaller resonator and the pipe path is straighter than our Sedan's stock midpipe). The sound is more like the FX35/45 and G35 Coupe (deeper exhaust note with a few nice "burps" now and then, like a cat-back...much better than the stock Sedan midpipe imo), and it may add a few ponies. I bet it would be great in combo with the Y pipe!

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Sport Wheels, Alum. Pedals, Tint, Z Tube, K&N, Coupe Midpipe<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 09/28/04 03:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 10-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have worked with my local Meineke guy for over 10 years. It only cost my $40.00 to have it installed.
I looked real carefully at the junction of the Y pipe and the stock mid pipe.
On my car, the use of the reducer was not necessary at all. The way the flange was welded to the mid pipe, the weld made a nice sloped transition without a big lip or flow obstruction.
Car feels like it "breaths easier"...but not huge gains.

"I like you.....You remind me of myself when I was young and foolish"

Old 10-04-2004, 01:46 PM
G Kreuzer

Irony,
Deja vu! I have tried to explain unsuccessfully exactly what you're attempting to do to many individuals. Most everyone dismissed it as a waste of time and unnecessary. Not every mechanics, sales, or whomever come from Formula-1 ... they just don't get it. In actuality, it may only be worth a couple louszy hp ... but that's not the point here. I have worked in the Fluid Dynamics and that kink will make anyone in the field sh_t brick. Paying attention to details is what I do and what I believe in for my line of work.

I finally took the matter under my own hands and custom designed a velocity stack ring that presses into the back end of the Y-pipe. (check attachment). It is made of stainless steel and should be slightly over bored on the outside to allow a snug press fit. It's not without it's own flaws either. Most Y-pipe collectors are slightly deformed (not perfectly round).

Here's to put you back into perspective. Are you planning on upgrading to an aftermarket exhaust (Y-pipe back)? If so, let it be for now until you get your exhaust, knowing they will then mate up perfectly (inside).

Cheers,

Clint (THX723)

Old 10-04-2004, 01:48 PM
G Kreuzer

Forgot the attachment.

Clint (THX723)

357802-ring.jpg

Old 10-04-2004, 01:54 PM
G Kreuzer

another.

Clint (THX723)

357809-ring 2.jpg

Old 10-04-2004, 04:08 PM

Very cool design....is this just a concept ?
I have calmed down quite a bit now and can only chuckle when I recall my attempt to make the "garage monkey" understand what I wanted and his befuddled look. I try not to think about it too much, the y-pipe is out of sight.
Regarding my exhaust mod plans...I want to change the mid pipe; and cats. So of course I would need a mid pipe that would have corrected my y pipe deficiency

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Y pipe install got me so angry