Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

The NA debate is over. bigger exhaust = more power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 02:32 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
^^^ I believe MD exhaust system(s) are opposite... however they aren't what op is presenting either.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
OK, now I'm confused by your argument. You're saying you have a 3" dual system, right? You do realize that SGM's system is a 3.5" single, right? The area of that exhaust is 9.6". The area of a dual 2.5" exhaust is 9.9". That means SGM saw better numbers with a smaller exhaust than what most people run (ie aftermarket dual 2.5" systems). So that would mean your dual 3" system is probably making less power than the typical dual 2.5" system. Bigger isn't better.

I've said this for years, many of the best NA exhaust systems use a slightly stepped design in that the exhaust is slightly larger upstream and gets fractionally smaller towards the exit. This keeps the exhaust hot and the velocity high. SGM obviously saw benefit to what I'm saying.
Just to clarify SGM is using 3" longtube headers merging into a single 3.5". They have less backpressure than a complete 2.5" system which was tried and made less.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrei
Just to clarify SGM is using 3" longtube headers merging into a single 3.5". They have less backpressure than a complete 2.5" system which was tried and made less.
Did they actually test the backpressure or are you just assuming this because the 2.5" dual system made less power. Just because less power was made with the 2.5" system, doesn't mean backpressure was the culprit. Exhaust velocity is key and there are so elements that go into that, backpressure being just one of them.