Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Any advice for me?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Vic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any advice for me?

I have a g35 coupe and I'm thinking of getting a stillen exhaust. It costs about $1,200 and I heard that stillen gain the most HP compare to other exhaust sytem Do you guys think it's worth it or should I get myself other exhausts?
Please give me some feedback on this.
Thanks.

TB/Black, 6MT coupe

Old 10-28-2004, 12:34 AM
Vic
Re: Any advice for me?

anyone?

TB/Black, 6MT coupe

Old 10-28-2004, 02:13 AM

from what i've read around here... exhaust choices really depend on a lot of different factors. sound is one (do you wanna stay close to stock sounding?).... your future plans for the car are another. do you plan on doing FI or staying NA? (i think exhaust makes a bigger difference on an FI car b/c they need to get the spent gasses out as quickly as possible?)

i keep changing my mind on which exhaust i want. my current favorite seems to be the Fujitsubo (Y-pipe and exhaust combo) b/c i've heard it sounds very close to stock under normal conditions but badass when you stomp on the go pedal. the exhaust tips on this one are huge though (4 inches?)

borla isn't bad either and is certainly alot cheaper, but i've heard the quality isn't up there with some of the other brands.

bottom line is, if you ask in the forums which exhaust is "best", you'll end up with 10 different answers. i'm curious to see what everbody else thinks and why, b/c maybe that info will help me come to a concrete decision.

Old 10-28-2004, 02:56 AM
Vic

Basically I want to get an exhaust that is not too loud but got deeper sound than the stock and ofcourse the one that gain the most HP.
I think that is the type of exhaust I want. So, which one should I get? is stillen still the one?

TB/Black, 6MT coupe

Old 10-28-2004, 06:18 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's my oppinion. I have heard many different coupe and sedan exhausts from various G35 meets. I own the borla true dual exhaust. The sound is quieter than stock and has very deep tone to it. At full throttle (or past 3-4k rpm) the exhaust note is very mean sounding. Build-wise, the borla is lacking compared to other exhausts. The borla uses several clamps instead of bolt/flanges to put it together which can run the risk of leaking if not torqued (or sealed with exhaust putty) correctly and the exhaust has too many pieces. Lookswise, although the borla's chromed exhaust tips aren't as big as the Fujitsubo's sewer pipe style tips, they look bigger than stock, and have the borla label engraved at the top of both tips. Pricewise, I think the borla is the cheapest. I got mine used so I did not pay $700-800 for it. Performance-wise, I don't know yet as I haven't taken it to a dyno, but I will soon.

From the other exhausts I have seen/heard:

Fujitsubo - Very aggressive looking tips. Neffster said they look like sewer pipes. I agree with him. From what I heard at a stand still reving, the exhaust sounded very stock like. The owner told me it gets better at full throttle.

Injen - Cool looking split dual pipe design you can see from the rear. Moderately louder than my borla and Fujitsubo exhaust when at a stand still reving (my oppinion). Sounds loud at full throttle.

Greddy SP2 - axle back exhaust that looks stock but all chromed or stainless steeled. While the car sounded great on the dyno, the exhaust itself failed to make any power.

Horsepower figures between stillen, borla, injen and fujitsubo are very close to each other with borla making (i think) less torque than the others as the rpm's climb...

Hope this helps.

2K4 - 6 spd mt, diamond graphite coupe, z-tube, borla exhaust. Next mod: RT cats