Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

All 4 O2 sensors bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Ink
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry All 4 O2 sensors bad?

I have searched this whole forum for months now on this issue and I am at a loss. I took my car to 3 different techs and they are all telling me different things.

The issue: I have an 03 coup 6mt. I redid the exhaust and installed a full HKS one. I find out that there is a leak in my exhaust, and it turns that one the brackets that was welded on broke and left a nickle size hole on the top part of the pipe, right under the driver's seat. I drove it like that for a while because I didn't know something was up, that is until it got cold (live in CT). I got the hole patched up but then started noticing that my G starts to shudder really bad in 3rd and 4th gear. I left off the gas and try again until it goes.

I did the service code thing and it came up that every sensor is bad. I did an ecu reset and it came back with the same codes after about 50-75 miles. I know how bad the issue is because it deals with my air and fuel mix, however I don't know how to get a read on that. I read that 14-14 is normal but I don't know where to check...

I am at a total loss on what to do, any help would really help me out. Should I just replace all 4 sensors? should I get aftermarket ones? stick with stock?

Old 12-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Ink
Bump, please guys, help me out..

Old 12-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
You can pull your o2 sensors and check the ceramic. Hold up i will look for the read up that i read when i thought mine was bad.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:05 AM
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/...en_Sensor_Test

Heres one. What did you use to reseal the hole. From what it was saying certain glues and such can ruin the sensors if they welded it i am sure its not the case.

Heres the one i was talking about

http://mr2.com/TEXT/O2_Sensor.html

Old 12-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How many miles are on the car? The O2 sensors go bad after a while...not like they last forever. However, all 4 being bad at the same time is a little strange. What was the code/s you got exactly? I don't see how having a hole in the exhaust would damage your sensors. All they do is read concentration of fuel in the exhaust coming from the engine.

As far as replacements stick with stock.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Ink
My G is a special case of sorts. When I bought her she had her engine replaced with an 04 engine, that had about 40k on it. The mileage on the car is about 150k though. The clutch and fly wheel where changed along with a few other things, but the tranny stayed.

I figured the hole would cause a vacuum leak messing with the sensors. I have just finished reading the links posted by Project (really useful by the way) and I know for a fact that I have been running rich for quite a while. It started when I noticed the hole in the exhaust. Here are other symptoms taken right off those links:

- Usually when the sensor is bad, the engine will show some loss of power, and will not seem to respond quickly.

- If a car is running rich over a long period, the sensor may become plugged up or even destroyed

- If you are not getting a voltage and the car has been running rich lately, the sensor may be carbon fouled.

Also from what I've read the ecu computer could be bad as well. I just don't know what to believe. I will try to get a hold of a buddy of mine today to test the sensors. Is there any way to test the ECU? I really don't want to take it to a dealership and a local shop wants $800 to replace all of the sensors..

Old 12-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Well, if you do end up replacing them, go OEM.
We have them listed at 25% on our website: www.GrubbsPerformance.com

Old 12-23-2010, 12:42 PM
A vacuum leak would be on the intake side, not the exhaust side. If you have 150k on the car then it's quite possible they are bad. I think all bets are off when you start approaching 100k on the sensors. Some fail way before that. The hole in the exhaust would generate noise and maybe some minor power loss but that's about it.

Test the sensors and see what's up but at 150k you probably need new ones. The ECU could be bad but you haven't described anything that would point in that direction.

800$ to replace all sensors is a little much. Do the work yourself...Some are a pain to get to but you only need a wrench and an O2 socket. That'll save you the labor costs.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Ink
I really appreciate all the information and help guys. Looks like I will be going oem stock and replacing all of them. This site kicks ***!

Old 12-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Hope thats what it is! Gl.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Ink
I'll post all of my finding on here when I am done so if someone else has a similar problem they at least have a reference point. Thanks again guys and have a Merry Christmas!

Old 12-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Good luck. Hopefully replacing the sensors solves the issues.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Ink
Hey guys, I know it's been a while and the winter hit CT real hard this year. I just got around to changing all of the sensors and it fixed her right up.

I guess I'm a rare case where all of the sensors went bad at the same time. I replaced them with stock ones and she is running as good as new. Thanks again for all the input.