Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Exhaust Leak?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Lightbulb Exhaust Leak?

Hi all, I have a problem for my 6MT G.

A few days ago I have notice this weird sound, it sounds like a farting noise something similar to like an exhaust leak or something, I hear it whenever I accelerate or give gas. But this sound is not noticeable when I am driving normal with my windows up. But whenever I pass a car while accelerating or in underground, I can hear the echo of the sound which is similar to an exhaust leak. Also, sometimes I can hear it when I have my windows down while accelerating.

My buddy said it might be because of the cold weather which made the seals get hard so they don't seal good or whatever.

Oh and I have the Nismo catback exhaust.

Do you guys think its an exhaust leak or something?

Old 01-14-2011, 03:00 AM
Received 1,939 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Is the sound amplified? Hissing? What does it sound like to be more specific. Exhaust leak is a bit broad. And "farting noise" doesn't help much.

If you can take a video, it will be easier to diagnose.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:08 AM
Originally Posted by chrcarlo
Is the sound amplified? Hissing? What does it sound like to be more specific. Exhaust leak is a bit broad. And "farting noise" doesn't help much.

If you can take a video, it will be easier to diagnose.
Yah the sound is amplified, is kinda like a hissing sound. I told my girlfriend to REV it while I was outside the car, the sound only came from the left side of the exhaust, its like a hissing/farting sound.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:14 AM
I can't really do much without a sound clip. Can you check under the car for any holes/cracks. Also check if your O2 sensor is loose and rattling. The hissing might be coming from a torn flex section. But I'm in the dark until I get a sound clip.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:19 AM
Okay I will try to get a video tmr, thanks

Old 01-14-2011, 03:25 AM
Try looking around the forums in the meanwhile for anybody who has your problems. I think I remember some people in the past who have had "hissing" problems with aftermarket exhausts.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:29 AM
Okay thanks
Also, could it be anything to do with the Y-pipe? Because its scraped pretty bad from ground through speed bumps and such.

Try looking around the forums in the meanwhile for anybody who has your problems. I think I remember some people in the past who have had "hissing" problems with aftermarket exhausts.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:47 AM
The flex section is part of the y-pipe. Mine scraped as well. Here is a picture of my MR y-pipe. There were no issues with it though, and I heard no noises.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:30 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
if it is leaking its gonna stay leaking so you should have it put up on a hoist and checked. only way to be sure but it sounds like your on the right track

Old 01-15-2011, 02:43 AM
I went to Nissan today and ask the guy to have a look. They said that my gasket connecting to the exhaust is leaking.

It is this part:

Do I need to replace the gasket or something? Also if I do need to replace the gasket, I need to get the nismo one right and not the OEM ones.

Is this the right one http://www.thenismoshop.com/ikorb.ph...duct_id=12350?

Old 01-15-2011, 02:55 AM
If it's just a gasket, do it yourself. Especially at the location that it is. Just jack up the rear of the car, unbolt 2 bolts, slide out the gasket, and replace.

As for the size, OEM gaskets worked fine with mine. If you're not sure, just get one of each, gaskets are cheap.

Oh. and make sure the bolts are super tight when you put replace the gasket. When I went over a friend's house to change out his exhaust to a different one, I found one of his bolts completely missing.

Last edited by TORETTO; 01-15-2011 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:13 AM
Thxs for ur reply. But I haven't done this kind of stuff before lol, so I'm scared I might screw up. I think im gonna take it to a shop to have them do it.

Oh btw, can I get those gasket @ any autoparts store??

If it's just a gasket, do it yourself. Especially at the location that it is. Just jack up the rear of the car, unbolt 2 bolts, slide out the gasket, and replace.

As for the size, OEM gaskets worked fine with mine. If you're not sure, just get one of each, gaskets are cheap.

Oh. and make sure the bolts are super tight when you put replace the gasket. When I went over a friend's house to change out his exhaust to a different one, I found one of his bolts completely missing.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:21 AM
I'm sure even if you go to a muffler/exhaust shop they'll have spares.

As for doing it yourself, it's seriously one of the easiest things you can do. If you can look under your the rear of your car. and see that pipe where the two bolts are, just get a socket wrench/ratchet, and remove it. Then just pull on the muffler to separate a little bit until you can slide the gasket out.

Really easy.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:40 AM
I'm sure even if you go to a muffler/exhaust shop they'll have spares.

As for doing it yourself, it's seriously one of the easiest things you can do. If you can look under your the rear of your car. and see that pipe where the two bolts are, just get a socket wrench/ratchet, and remove it. Then just pull on the muffler to separate a little bit until you can slide the gasket out.

Really easy.
Oh lol, kk thanks.
So after u slide out the old gasket, just slide the new one back in right and then tighten the bolts n u're good to go??

Old 01-15-2011, 04:02 AM
Yes. Simple as that. Assuming it is the gasket that is causing the problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Leak?