Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Berks HFC too raspy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Berks HFC too raspy?

Just got my Berks installed. I like the tone at low rpm, but it's too loud and too raspy at higher rpm. Stock hearders, stock exhaust, just the Berks HFC have been changed.

I was looking at the MD XYZ Y-Pipe w/ Resonator. If I ran this, would that help cut back on some of the raspy sound and tone it down a little, without killing performance too much?

I also threw a code after bout 5miles with the Berks, but I havent been able to check what it is yet. the HFCs came with the non-foulers, but I've been reading about guys having to run stainless steel wool to get rid of codes, this still the case?

Old 02-19-2011, 06:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i hate my rasp too wish their was a way to stop that crap...

Old 02-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by dreamweaver
i hate my rasp too wish their was a way to stop that crap...
I dont necessarily hate it, but it's not what I was expecting. Everyone says Berks sound the same as stock, but a little louder, well thats not the case. They are quite a bit louder and definitely more raspy.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you checked to ensure that everything is installed correctly? Are there any cracks or places where air is escaping?

You also should not have to add steel wool - that's a problem that people with test pipes run into, not people with HFC. I had the berks and never threw a code.

It sounds to me that it's an installation issue. Are the Berks new or used? Would you be able to post a video clip?

Old 02-19-2011, 10:04 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
dang i was planning to go berk HFC bc i thought they werent raspy...

Old 02-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get FI HFC instead

Old 02-19-2011, 10:39 PM
There are several guys in my area who run the Berks with zero rasp issues. I would honestly try to figure out the root cause before getting rid of them.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive had Berks HFCs for some time. First they were too loud and raspy. After couple of months rasp was gone. It should get better.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:53 AM
Installation should be fine. It's not like its that difficult. No cracks or leaks that I can find.

I'll get a video tomorrow as long as the snow stays away.

And I didnt say I was going to get rid of them lol

Old 02-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Berk HFC's w/MD XYZ-Resonator and stock exhaust. No rasp that I can detect. They did may the exhaust tone much deeper but I'd say barely louder than stock. I've heard people complain about HFC rasp when going into stock Y..as it may be the change in pipe size whereas the MD XYZ matches them perfectly. The XYZ into a stock exhaust is a mis-match though, but I can't hear any rasp.

???

Old 02-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by 2one8
And I didnt say I was going to get rid of them lol
I was directing my comment more towards the guy who said you should just get FI HFCs.

As others have said, they shouldn't be much louder than stock at idle. You will have more volume as you accelerate and definitely at WOT, but nothing over the top.

Let's hear that clip!

Old 02-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
my berk hfc i got only had rasp when i let off the throttle and let the tranny slow the car down.. i have since bought an 07 coupe with stock exhaust and helix test pipes and the rasp is almost equal to my berk hfc on my 03 with greddy evo 2 exhaust.. i hate the rasp.. thought bout trading my tp for some stock or hfc cats

Old 02-20-2011, 06:05 PM
I had a buddy take it across the parking lot last night. It's loud. It's like... Honda loud. No Bueno. Only when on the gas though. Just cruising through town shifting at low R's its stays pretty decent and sounds good, but on the gas it can be heard for blocks...

I have 2 videos. In the first don't mind the gauges, they are sticking and I've been too lazy to pull em apart again. This is with windows down.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:34 PM
It is always hard to tell with video clips, but the first one sounds about right to me, especially since you had the throttle wide open. Someone else can chime in, but I don't hear anything out of the ordinary

Old 02-21-2011, 06:01 PM
Welp, I did a lot of reading, and people say even with the HFC they still needed to pack steel wool in the non-foulers, so I did that last night. I attempted to reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery, but it still had a code on start-up. I checked the code, P0138 O2 sensor high voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2). Cleared the code, got about 15miles and threw another one, but I havent checked it yet. If it's the same one then I'd say the O2 sensor got damaged during the swap, which in that case I will just replace both of them anyways and go from there.

With that said, which bank is which?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Berks HFC too raspy?