Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Question about F.I. Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 03:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about F.I. Exhaust

Hello all...I recently ordered a Fast Intentions Exhaust and High-Flow Cats. My goal was to make it deeper/louder/more aggressive but not be too obnoxious and also I don't want a lot of drone when cruising at highway speeds. I spoke with Tony and based on what I said I was looking for and also the fact that I'm getting HFC's, he recommended the traditional system (quieter option) as opposed to the round stainless(louder option). Has anyone heard both of these set-ups? Is the round stainless really a lot louder than the traditional? My concern is that while I don't want it to be too obnoxious I still wanna be able to hear it growl. I guess its too late now, but just curious really.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 575 Likes on 502 Posts
I hear the FI exhaust a lot b/c it's on my car. i think before that my friend had both of them on the car. All i can say is that it sound nice. Not to loud either. It's a great sound and you should like it.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the FI traditional. I have it paired with FI Rtp's and it sounds great, it's very very deep.

Not too loud, but loud past 4k if you womp on the gas. at idle and cruise, it's mellow. I love mine and can't wait to start her up every morning

Old 03-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Thanks fellas...These cars are pretty rare in my area so listening to different exhausts in person was not an option. I had to rely on comments from other people and "mediocre-at-best" quality internet vids. I think I've made the right choice....I just can't wait for it to get here......and for it to be nice out again so I can take the car out!

Old 04-24-2011, 03:48 PM
OK, I'm reviving this thread because my exhaust is going to be built this week and I have a day or two where I can change the mufflers if I want. Both systems look good, but I really like the looks of the round ones better. I went with the oval ones because I was concerned of it being too loud. Does anyone know how much louder the round ones are? I know this is subjective and may be a silly question, but would it be a little bit or a lot? Has anyone purchased one option and regretted not purchasing the other option? Oh, and I'll have HFC's also if that helps anyone to answer. And yes, I've already listened to clips of both online, but that doesn't give me a good representation of volume.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 AM
No matter what exhaust you put on, decent HFCs or resonated TPs and you should be golden. The car doesn't drone much at all on the highway unless you're constantly accelerating and decelerating. Even at 3200rpm, with headers, test pipes, exhaust, (borla, megan, borla) it's nice and mellow

Old 04-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Thanks homie. I've been indecisive for too long. By then end of the day I'm just going to decide, but I'm strongly leaning towards the round stainless. I'm sure either way it'll sound awesome.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had a FI exhaust on now for 3 years...upper rev range it sounds amazinggg...i still love it but if you have an A/T like me...get used to the drone at low RPMS

Old 04-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I've heard that for whatever reason the 5AT's are more likely to drone. Mine is a 6MT. I know that either way its going to be louder, but hey, that's my whole purpose for getting an exhaust to begin with, I just don't want it to be obnoxiously loud. Not really sure how much difference there is volume-wise between brands though.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the only time i ever get drone on mine is between 1800-2300 rpm. which of course is exactly where it going up the hill to our subdivision. i have one of the first batches of classics produced.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FlatlandJu
No matter what exhaust you put on, decent HFCs or resonated TPs and you should be golden. The car doesn't drone much at all on the highway unless you're constantly accelerating and decelerating. Even at 3200rpm, with headers, test pipes, exhaust, (borla, megan, borla) it's nice and mellow
Haahah your setup doesn't sound mellow, it sounds like an angry KITTY CAT!

Old 04-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jake227
Yeah, I've heard that for whatever reason the 5AT's are more likely to drone. Mine is a 6MT. I know that either way its going to be louder, but hey, that's my whole purpose for getting an exhaust to begin with, I just don't want it to be obnoxiously loud. Not really sure how much difference there is volume-wise between brands though.
I have round and had FI HFC. It sounded great. deep and not too loud or obnoxious. the only thing i don't like is the drone. Had it for like 4k miles still drones. Some people say it goes away at 10k but i don't think that will happen. I've had people compliment my exhaust so you won't regret how it sounds. Hopefully it just wont drone as much since your 6mt. idk how the intimidator sounds maybe less drone who knows

and it took 1 month to make your exhaust?