Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

My Ztube thoughts and question.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ztube thoughts and question.

got an 03 auto coupe....got it on ebay a stillen brand new for $63 shipped...

super easy to install....and sounds great especially 3k rpms and higher....seems to shift a bit better too???

also maybe a tad bit more low end power....

BUT I did seem to notice it lost some top end power?? is this true?

I did not reset my computer or even undo the battery should i of?

thansk

Old 04-29-2011, 02:09 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
You can reset it by disconnecting the battery for a while. Z-tube is know to not really gain or lose any power or really do anything noticeable in the least bit. Anything you are noticing is more than likely a placebo. People do it because theory says it should be better for their cars, not because they will notice anything.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:25 AM
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
It's all in your head man

Old 04-29-2011, 03:34 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
Resetting the ECU may do wonders for your car's response. I highly recommend the pedal method. I usually reset mine every few tanks of gas.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:52 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I reset my ECU Tuesday...........with Osiris!!!!!

OP all a ztube will produce is a slightly different intake sound.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:05 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
OP you shouldn't notice any difference in power (especially losing power).

I dont think my cars ECU has ever been reset in the 90k miles its been driven. Should I do it just for kicks?

Old 04-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I reset my ECU Tuesday...........with Osiris!!!!!
I just had a Osiris/Dyno tune yesterday, no more "check engine soon" error codes due to running lean and I picked up 24 RWHP....more freeway fun!
Originally Posted by Mark2K8
I dont think my cars ECU has ever been reset in the 90k miles its been driven. Should I do it just for kicks?
Why not?
Gary

Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
+1, it takes 5min and could free up some ponies. I just reset mine yesterday to try and get a little better gas mileage. After installing sxexcx grounding kit I reset my ecu and I guess I was a little hard on the pedal because my gas mileage in the city is awful now...

Old 04-29-2011, 10:47 AM
Anh
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
I just had a Osiris/Dyno tune yesterday, no more "check engine soon" error codes due to running lean and I picked up 24 RWHP....more freeway fun!
Gary
Do you think you would've gained more whp using a ztube + revup airbox + K&N drop in filter under an OSIRIS tune? Or does the OSIRIS tune just make any intake the same?

Old 04-29-2011, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Anh
Do you think you would've gained more whp using a ztube + revup airbox + K&N drop in filter under an OSIRIS tune? Or does the OSIRIS tune just make any intake the same?
Intakes have very little to do with HP gains. It's the combination of intake/spacer/exhaust/hfc that makes RWHP with any tune. For my Osiris tune at SPECIALTYZ I ran my Fjuita intake with the AMSOIL filter. With cool morning temps I had no issues with my heat/metal intake. Any "Air Box" would be more restrictive than the intake filter I'm using! The best gains can be made with Stillens CAI/Z-Tube where the filter is protected from engine heat and the z-tube is made of plastic composite which isn't effected by heat.
Gary

Old 04-29-2011, 12:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea i wasnt really expecting any gain since I read up on it...I mainly bought it for the better sound and I for sure hear that so I am happy with it..

I did the hard battery reset about 2 months ago and the car felt more alive right after I did it.....should I do it again??

I tried the peddle reset several times and never got that to work at all,,..I got a 03 coupe if that makes any difference....just the 12 hour battery unhook worked.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
^ It doesn't need to be for 12 hours. I usually leave mine unplugged for like an hour, while I'm working on the car. I reset my ECU every time I change a part out.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by tibasnatch
Yea i wasnt really expecting any gain since I read up on it...I mainly bought it for the better sound and I for sure hear that so I am happy with it..
I did the hard battery reset about 2 months ago and the car felt more alive right after I did it.....should I do it again??
I tried the peddle reset several times and never got that to work at all,,..I got a 03 coupe if that makes any difference....just the 12 hour battery unhook worked.
Leaving your battery disconnected for 12 hours is a bad idea, it may have worked once but I wouldn't attempt that again! If you leave it for too long the ECU will forget how to do simple things like idle which is a whole other fix. You can disconnect for an hour, that's all you need for a reset....I never got the peddle reset to work either....
Gary

Old 04-29-2011, 03:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
I do the pedal reset every few weeks. Throttle response is the biggest improvement.

Gary, how's your throttle response with the osiris?

Old 04-29-2011, 04:15 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I'll chime in since I just got tuned. The pedal response is very different in a good way. I have a 5AT and the lag was irritating at best. Also if you didn't know, the tune allows the throttle plate to open 100% instead of the max 75% programmed at the factory. I have also swapped out my rear diff for a 3.5 and the combination of the tune and diff swap makes the low end grunt of my car pretty damn cool. I can get on it rolling at 15-20 MPH and the back end will break free with VDC off. Not that I do that all the time, but I figured it out by accident. Previously stomping on the throttle at those speeds the car would hesitate and then accelerate. Now it's literally an instantaneous response. The car will spin the tires off the line (I run 19s) which it wouldn't do before and when I punch it at anything under 4000 RPMs the car just takes off.

A lot of people judge the tune on how much power they gain, and it's so much more than that. Power delivery is smoother and you also get multiple maps to use in different situations; I got a performance tune, low octane tune, valet tune, fuel saver tune and a stock tune. I was running extremely lean and that's been corrected, and if you get the Cipher cable you can retrieve/clear ECU/ABS/and BCM codes, check engine cylinder power,adjust idle, check fuel injector performance, and much more. I had the cable before the tune and I had advanced the timing 1 degree which actually hurt performance and I gained 20 HP and 18 ft/lb of torque after the tune.

Driving the car is a completely different experience in a very good way now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Ztube thoughts and question.