Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Cleaned K&N air filter and MAF sensor, now car in limp mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
hope it's fixed soon, XM and all

not that it matters at this point but so long as you didn't over do it MAF cleaner should obviously not have damaged the sensor. Some other chemicals that a lot of people substitute based upon incorrect advice can leave or loosen deposits that obscure the sensor. This can sometimes be corrected with a second light cleaning using the correct cleaner. i've been servicing electronics for a long time and use many different CRC products with great results. spray lightly, evenly, and from one direction.

interested in hearing when things are restored... by the way you might consider keeping your old MAF.. when time permits you could try what i'm suggesting and perhaps recoup some of the replacement cost. just a thought...

good luck.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LMG_35C
hope it's fixed soon, XM and all

not that it matters at this point but so long as you didn't over do it MAF cleaner should obviously not have damaged the sensor. Some other chemicals that a lot of people substitute based upon incorrect advice can leave or loosen deposits that obscure the sensor. This can sometimes be corrected with a second light cleaning using the correct cleaner. i've been servicing electronics for a long time and use many different CRC products with great results. spray lightly, evenly, and from one direction.

interested in hearing when things are restored... by the way you might consider keeping your old MAF.. when time permits you could try what i'm suggesting and perhaps recoup some of the replacement cost. just a thought...

good luck.
I've picked up the car about an hour ago, and glad it's over with. I did try to clean the MAF sensor again in the morning, when the car wouldn't run well. Not messing with it again, dumped the MAF Cleaner can in the garbage.

BTW, after replacing the MAF sensor, they had to reprogram the ECM, so my guess it, it shorted the sensor *and* the ECM...

Last edited by codeflux; 05-19-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed a MD ISO spacer on my 06 G. While I had everything off I also changed the plugs (I just hit 100K so it was time) and cleaned my MAF as well. I had heard of so many damaging the MAF even when using the spray or just by moving it etc...so I just used alcohol on a rag. Seemed to need it pretty bad too lol. I had a problem getting my idle right again too, and found that the procedure for the Idle Air relearning had some very important missing steps! After a little bit of trying the procedure with the added steps, got it right again

After reading so much about the problem, I found that the MAF is more durable than people really thing actually. Seems most don't do all of the procedures that are needed BEFORE they do the Idle Air...which confuses the computer. That was my case and seems to be many more people's case. I'm not a mechanic by trade....but from what I have done research on...I'm willing to bet the MAF was fine. I hope that isn't the case though...

Old 05-20-2011, 02:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is the procedure I used:

http://technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm

Care to elaborate on which steps may be missing?

Old 05-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Well, most of the steps I saw online were the same as what Motordyne includes with there paperwork with the spacer. HOWEVER...During the Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning) when you depress the pedal 5 times in 5 secs...then wait 7 secs and depress again and hold for about 20 secs waiting on the CEL to stop blinking and release the pedal within 3 secs, the next step says to start the engine. WHAT THEY DON'T SAY...is that you have to not only release the pedal but also start the engine within that 3 secs! After that the steps continue to say to wait 20 secs at idle and rev a few times...and ends there. After you are done with the revs and kill the engine...they don't mention that you have to restart the engine within 10 secs!

Maybe those steps are crap...but I tried it several times (12 maybe) going off the sheet I had (and yes I had a stop watch and a cheat sheet) and still would get my CEL light on and idle kinda high (about 1k). I tried it with the new steps added....TWICE. And that was cus the first time when I was supposed to release the pedal first THEN start the car...I started then released.....do over lol! Works great now.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Yep...those are word for word from what I was using from Motordyne. No discredit to them by the way for that...seems to be a standard set of instructions. I love the spacer by the way.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dang these nissan maf sensors are super sensitive... 450 is a lot a dough for such a small thing to hold your vehicle hostage... i remember my 02 6mt maxima blew the maf sensor and the prices were ridiculous... 550 for maf and 250 for labor... i ordered a 2001 model maf sensor from courtesynissan and had overnighted to me for one Benjamin.... got the car running like normal...

ever since then, i just go dry-filter or oem... napa gold filters works wonders too... no need to touch the maf.

Old 05-06-2016, 07:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You actually did one but very serious mistake - spray MAF cleaner on censor without at least disconnecting its harness from car electrical system,and even smallest short would kill your MAF censor easy .