Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Cleaned K&N air filter and MAF sensor, now car in limp mode

Old 05-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cleaned K&N air filter and MAF sensor, now car in limp mode

I don't renew my premium membership for 1 DAY, and the very next day my car dies. Co-incidence?! - I don't think so!

So, like the subject said, cleaned my K&N air filter, re-oiled it (no, didn't use too much oil; yes, used K&N cleaning kit). Also cleaned my MAF sensor with the MAF cleaner. Last night the car started fine, sounded great.

This morning, the car started idling very rough, and went into limp mode almost immediately. The scanner showed two MAF codes (which I reset, and forgot to write them down, stupid me). ECU reset and Idle volume relearning didn't help. I re-sprayed the MAF, and that didn't help either...

Towed the car to Beshoff Infiniti, got a G25 loaner (eh...), now waiting for them to call with diagnosis... At least they'll do airbag switch recall while I'm there...

Cliff notes:
- I let my premium membership lapse for 1 day
- cleaned K&N air filter & MAF sensor
- car starts fine
- next morning car goes to limp mode
- ECU reset didn't help
- car towed to dealer
-

Old 05-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by codeflux
- I let my premium membership lapse for 1 day
The dealer will pull your codes. Sounds like your maf is not reading right though.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Massios
The dealer will pull your codes. Sounds like your maf is not reading right though.
Only if they recreate them. Like I said, I reset the codes to get rid of Check Engine Light, and then wasn't able to recreate them.

Last edited by codeflux; 05-17-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:13 PM
So, the dealer wanted $600 for MAF sensor and $200 for labor (with diagnostic charge). They dropped it to $500 after hearing I was a g35driver member - a very nice bonus, but still a highway robbery in the great scheme of things. A new MAF sensor sells for $450 + shipping at www.infinitipartsusa.com - if you have time, and want a new part, that's a decent price for a new OEM part.

/edit Dealer called back saying they will price-match $450. Negotiate, people, don't agree to the first price quote.

BUT - I was able to get another g35driver member - Heist - to ship his $45 MAF sensor to me overnight, within the hour. Crossing my fingers that 1) it gets here by tomorrow, so I don't have to go get a rental and 2) that it works.

Last edited by codeflux; 05-17-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:03 PM
MAF sensor came in this morning, drove it to Beshoff, sitting in the waiting room, waiting for them to try it.

They have an diamond graphite G37 IPL Coupe in the show room. Sexy beast, the wheels really set it off. Too bad it's over $50k!

Old 05-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts
goodluck, when i heard 450 for a maf i was about to tell you to look for partouts thr are like 10 going on right now lol

Old 05-18-2011, 04:18 PM
Well this sucks. Looks like my 03.5 sedan uses the very first generation harness, and the sensor I bought, although it came from an 03, is the newer model. The thing doesn't fit, and even if I changed the MAF adapter, the plug wouldn't fit.

So the sensor is gonna go off to eBay (maybe someone as desperate will buy it), and the dealer will overnight the right MAF sensor. For $450. I can't wait for days to find the right part for cheap, and I certainly can't keep the loaner car this long. Fffffffuuuuuuu........

Last edited by codeflux; 05-18-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
sucks to hear. beshoff is an amazing dealer though

Old 05-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by Xet
sucks to hear. beshoff is an amazing dealer though
Agreed on both accounts. Both service advisors (Oscar and Richie) and the tech (Art?) I talked to were knowledgeable, straight-up, willing to work with me. I'm definitely very pleased at their demeanor and work ethic, and will be going back there for any larger issues (as in, **** I can't fix myself) there.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Op, out of curiousity, how long did you let the filter sit after oiling? Its best to let it sit our in the sun once it has been cleaned and oiled, especially if you oiled it from the backside (side that faces in towards the MAF)

Old 05-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Yeah, I have an early one too. The p/n is on the maf housing and the maf sensor bolt pattern looks diff. You cold try carefully cleaning the old one but it looks like your car is stuck at the dealer?

I "think" some of the Zs used the old maf too. Dig my350z forums for one also. car-part.com might get you something.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by 05Scoobyroo
Op, out of curiousity, how long did you let the filter sit after oiling? Its best to let it sit our in the sun once it has been cleaned and oiled, especially if you oiled it from the backside (side that faces in towards the MAF)
I let the filter soak the oil in for about half an hour, and I only oiled it from one side - the side opposite to the intake. The pink was just barely showing from the intake side when I installed it. I don't think it's the filter oil that did it, I think it's the fact that I dosed the MAF sensor with the MAF cleaner.

The tech told me that these MAF sensors really do NOT like to be cleaned, and if you do clean it, there is a good chance it'll short it. Lesson learned - dumping my MAF cleaner aerosol bottle to the garbage when I get home.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Yeah, I have an early one too. The p/n is on the maf housing and the maf sensor bolt pattern looks diff. You cold try carefully cleaning the old one but it looks like your car is stuck at the dealer?
Sure is. In fact, it's stuck in their stall, since it's not driveable at all. Too late to look for cheaper solutions, I'm gonna throw the money at the problem so it goes away.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Really tough when you're trying to take car of things and matters get out of control like this. yikes.. hope it gets straightened out soon.

What kind of MAF cleaner did you use? Did you remove the sensor from the housing or try to clean it in place?
I've cleaned MAF sensors on a few other cars without issue but haven't tried it in my G. Wouldn't have thought twice had I not read your post.. and this same maintenance was on my list for this weekend or next.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by LMG_35C
Really tough when you're trying to take car of things and matters get out of control like this. yikes.. hope it gets straightened out soon.

What kind of MAF cleaner did you use? Did you remove the sensor from the housing or try to clean it in place?
I've cleaned MAF sensors on a few other cars without issue but haven't tried it in my G. Wouldn't have thought twice had I not read your post.. and this same maintenance was on my list for this weekend or next.
Hopefully they'll get the part today and I can get back into my car today. I mean, the loaner is nice, and it has XM, but I miss my car.

I used a generic MAF Cleaner, purchased at Kragen. I didn't take the sensor out of the housing - just sprayed it from both ends and let the fluid drip out and evaporate. As I mentioned, the car started fine in the evening, but was dead the next morning.

Truth be told, the MAF wasn't even dirty or dusty, but I decided to spray it anyway. And - I've cleaned it before, maybe once or twice, a couple of years ago and about a year before that - both times for no particular reason, and with no apparent ill effects. Third time is the charm, I guess.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cleaned K&N air filter and MAF sensor, now car in limp mode