Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Invidia Test pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Invidia Test pipe

Hey guys I have the HKS replica on my car and I also added the Magnaflow mid-section mod cut off the original resonator that came with this exhaust ( sounded very rice) for my taste. Now sounds awesome just not loud enough and I want a little more power out of the car. And I searched around found best bag for the buck except for Mrev2 and spacer is TPs. I want something cheap but quality and the best one if Invidia. Megan and some other companys heard bad storied about their welds... So my question is with my Magnaflow mod will I still get a lot of Rasp? Or just a little bit? And 2 more questions should I hear wrap it for that ticking sound? And the CEL light does that go away in time or do I have to get those bolts the extended ones to help the Ecu think otherwise?

Thank you

Old 06-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Banned
Here are some pics of my baby

[/url]

Old 06-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking sexy. You may want to check out some of the M2 Products.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Banned
Thank you m2 heard some fitment issues about it. I want either Invidia or the Z1 test pipes.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:33 PM

you have such a nice looking car, why is that you know nothing about it yet?

Not my favorite choice on exhaust but it works when you take the time to do the magnaflow upgrade. If you want an idea of how bad its gonna be with the test pipes check out youtube, but adding test pipes resonated or not its gonna have rasp. Save your bills and go with high flow cats.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Personally, I don't think HFC's are worth it. From what I've seen, HFC's power gains and loudness are very minimal from what I've seen. I'd say either get test pipes or just don't touch it.

At least get resonated. Invidia test pipes are unresonated and it will sound HORRIBLE. I recommend to get a set of used Sebring Tuning test pipes (not made anymore), Fast Intentions, or ART pipes (the best out of all of them but also most expensive)

Those test pipes are probably your best bet if you want minimal rasp (if rasp at all) with the power to boot. I've not seen it in person, but from the vids I've seen, those test pipes hardly rasp at all and sound great!

Old 06-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Banned
If I'm going to $400 for test pipes I rather just go with Mrev2 for power. And I do know a lot about my car I just wanted some info on testpipes I know res TPs are great will help but I wanted a cheaper way of doing it I do want ART pipes but just too expensive for me. I rather spend my money Mrev2.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by sTeadFasT96
Personally, I don't think HFC's are worth it. From what I've seen, HFC's power gains and loudness are very minimal from what I've seen. I'd say either get test pipes or just don't touch it.

At least get resonated. Invidia test pipes are unresonated and it will sound HORRIBLE. I recommend to get a set of used Sebring Tuning test pipes (not made anymore), Fast Intentions, or ART pipes (the best out of all of them but also most expensive)

Those test pipes are probably your best bet if you want minimal rasp (if rasp at all) with the power to boot. I've not seen it in person, but from the vids I've seen, those test pipes hardly rasp at all and sound great!
He isnt forced induction and already eliminated all the backpressure after the cats. his magnaflow x will provide a little but not a sufficient amount for the car to be running very happily without a tune....

Old 06-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by GTR_SpecR
If I'm going to $400 for test pipes I rather just go with Mrev2 for power. And I do know a lot about my car I just wanted some info on testpipes I know res TPs are great will help but I wanted a cheaper way of doing it I do want ART pipes but just too expensive for me. I rather spend my money Mrev2.
Don't rush anything man. youve got a really nice car save your money and do it right! you will be so much happier in the end. if you want an mrev2 save and get it then get osiris and you will be very very surprised with how your car is upgraded.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Banned
I just searched around I know it was quick lol I looked at this before Ima go with the Fast intentions res TPs its $275 and I'm sure worth the money. I want to do test pipe then Mrev2 then 5/16 spacer then the Osiris tune I think that would give me a nice noticeable power.

And thank you guys for changing my mind on going the cheap and stupid way loll

Old 06-17-2011, 02:09 PM
i dont understand upgrading your exhaust more... whats on the intake side? are you balancing this at all or just looking for the loudest option? eliminating all backpressure is not good, your car is going to run lean and could eventually start to burn more oil than its supposed to. If i cant convince you enough that its not going to do much then get the CEL fix from megan they are 90 degree bends and the best way to clear up that issue ($30).

Old 06-17-2011, 02:12 PM
I can tell you that you will NOT like getting cheap test pipes. It will make you absolutely hate your exhaust if not hate your car and you won't want to drive it in publix, hah.

If you're looking for power gains, the majority of it will come from the plenum spacer. If you have the rev-up motor, then it will be the spacer + mrev combo. If you want power before sound, go that route first because test pipes will only give you just a smidge of a power bump, nothing like that of the spacer + mrev combo which, IMO, is the single best engine mod for an NA engine.

But, with the test pipes, you at least get to enjoy the sound, so it's up to you. If performance is on your mind, Spacer -> Mrev2 -> Test pipes would be the order I would do it.

If you just wanna enjoy your car while cruising around and power isn't an issue, then do the Test pipes -> Spacer -> Mrev2

Originally Posted by DomeP1ece
i dont understand upgrading your exhaust more... whats on the intake side? are you balancing this at all or just looking for the loudest option? eliminating all backpressure is not good, your car is going to run lean and could eventually start to burn more oil than its supposed to. If i cant convince you enough that its not going to do much then get the CEL fix from megan they are 90 degree bends and the best way to clear up that issue ($30).
Also consider that the OEM intake is probably the best intake setup there is. Most aftermarket won't yield the results the OE will.

I have test pipes on the same exhaust as the OP (just without the x-pipe) and I've not had any issues with it so far. I won't get into the whole "backpressure" science, but I can tell you that test pipes aren't detrimental or counter-productive.

Last edited by sTeadFasT96; 06-17-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:28 PM
Banned
My car is a 07 6mt so it is the rev-up motor. I have the Injen CAI on right now (Love the sound after 5000rpm. I want to do test pipes then get the spacer and mrev at the same time so I don't have to do the install twice. I was thinking of also getting a plenum after the tune is done or maybe before what do you guys think?

Old 06-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tune after all the breathing mods are done. That way you get the best AFR for the mods.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:32 PM
^What he said. A tune comes LAST. The tune should also get rid of any CEL you may have.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Invidia Test pipe