Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Invidia Test pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^ Thanks that's what I was thinking. Is Crawford plenum a good idea?

Old 06-17-2011, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by sTeadFasT96
I can tell you that you will NOT like getting cheap test pipes. It will make you absolutely hate your exhaust if not hate your car and you won't want to drive it in publix, hah.

If you're looking for power gains, the majority of it will come from the plenum spacer. If you have the rev-up motor, then it will be the spacer + mrev combo. If you want power before sound, go that route first because test pipes will only give you just a smidge of a power bump, nothing like that of the spacer + mrev combo which, IMO, is the single best engine mod for an NA engine.

But, with the test pipes, you at least get to enjoy the sound, so it's up to you. If performance is on your mind, Spacer -> Mrev2 -> Test pipes would be the order I would do it.

If you just wanna enjoy your car while cruising around and power isn't an issue, then do the Test pipes -> Spacer -> Mrev2

Also consider that the OEM intake is probably the best intake setup there is. Most aftermarket won't yield the results the OE will.

I have test pipes on the same exhaust as the OP (just without the x-pipe) and I've not had any issues with it so far. I won't get into the whole "backpressure" science, but I can tell you that test pipes aren't detrimental or counter-productive.
and your exhaust sounds like what? ... oh yea, rice. (flame me if you want but personaly i hate the sound of hks replica and test pipes the rasp is rediculous)

HR motor = intake + exhaust cam phasing ... if you do upgrade both sides and get a tune ... holy **** it works properly

without a tune yes the stock intake produces better all around (hp/tq) numbers. with a tune there isn't much more power left to pull from the stock piping its a bit restrictive. a cold air set up drops intake temps allowing for timing to be advanced during the tune, which produces better numbers.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:44 PM
you dont need to change the plenum if you go spacer and mrev2 with your injen. thats plenty on the intake side. The tune does not need to be last you dumbasses. get osiris when you can afford it, they give you 3 tunes when you buy it so you can have it redone if you buy more upgrades. their etunes are plenty for what you plan on doing, but nothing compares to a true dynotune. read some more and pick your upgrades yourself, no sense asking about every single piece.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Banned
Anyone know much about ICHIBA Test pipes? I keep searching nothing I can find about quality or rasp... nothing help please

Old 06-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by DomeP1ece
and your exhaust sounds like what? ... oh yea, rice. (flame me if you want but personaly i hate the sound of hks replica and test pipes the rasp is rediculous)

HR motor = intake + exhaust cam phasing ... if you do upgrade both sides and get a tune ... holy **** it works properly

without a tune yes the stock intake produces better all around (hp/tq) numbers. with a tune there isn't much more power left to pull from the stock piping its a bit restrictive. a cold air set up drops intake temps allowing for timing to be advanced during the tune, which produces better numbers.
Actually the exhaust is fine
To me the x02 by itself sounds between "okay" and "good". The test pipes does make it slightly fartier but I assume that's with any test pipes. The rasp isn't until WOT and even then, it's not terrible. Go ahead and just call it any derogatory name you would like, I'm content with it, especially for the price. It isn't ANYTHING like some exhausts I've seen with unresonated test pipes...

Also, I've done a decent amount of research on intakes. Of course the idea of a cold air intake would make more logical sense, but from my research I've seen that, for whatever reason, the OE intake is just about optimal. If there was any intake that would produce a proven and significant gain, it would be all the buzz. Until then, I'm personally going to stick with my OE intake.

Originally Posted by DomeP1ece
you dont need to change the plenum if you go spacer and mrev2 with your injen. thats plenty on the intake side. The tune does not need to be last you dumbasses. get osiris when you can afford it, they give you 3 tunes when you buy it so you can have it redone if you buy more upgrades. their etunes are plenty for what you plan on doing, but nothing compares to a true dynotune. read some more and pick your upgrades yourself, no sense asking about every single piece.
If OP was trying to squeeze every drop out of the engine N/A, then why not. Personally I don't find it to give enough gains to, so I agree with you, but a new plenum does look nice.

Also as far as the tune, the general idea is to do it last...why waste time/money on getting a dyno tune in intervals? Osiris may give 3 tunes but would a shop give a customer 2 extra free tunes? Best would be just to wait till all performance mods are completed...hence my original statement.

Originally Posted by GTR_SpecR
Anyone know much about ICHIBA Test pipes? I keep searching nothing I can find about quality or rasp... nothing help please
I've never heard of Ichiba test pipes. If rasp is a concern, I'll refer to my original statement of Sebring Tuning test pipes, Fast Intentions test pipes, or ART pipes. If you want mediocre but better than nothing, get Megan resonated test pipes. I have those and they do an "okay" job. There is no rasp at all when just cruising and driving easy, the rasp only comes at WOT or just about.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Banned
I think the HKS replica was a bit too Rice for me I did the magnaflow X pipe mod and love the sound it actually sounds like a Infiniti again. Idk just my 2 cents on this HKS replica Love hate sound.