Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

idle problem after cleaning air filter and throttle body

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a clicking and ya it is just the plate opening and shuting gos on for like 5 or 6 sec after key is off

Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
^ok but for the procedure it says turn key to on then to off and wait 10secs. for the part where u turn the key from on to off did u wait a sec before turning to off or u did it right away without delay?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Waited a sec but found after a few
Trys that some of the times must vary car to car

Old 04-26-2012, 11:44 PM
So sad to say I had to take her to the dealer and had them do a throttle relearn with the computer and it worked car runs amazing cast me 80 bucks not bad asked them why doing the relearn with the key didn't work and they told me that it won't fix it all the Time and if the key don't work most times the computer at the dealer will : ) so happy i didn't brake it lol

Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 PM
The sound of the throttle relearn

Saywat?, I'm in the middle of doing all this relearn crap and I also had your same question about how/when do you know if you've done the throttle plate relearn correctly. Well, I was getting pretty frustrated with not knowing if I'd done it correctly or not so I decided to put the key in the car, roll the driver window down, pop the hood, take off both intakes and see what I could see/hear. I was hitting the ON/OFF button with my arm through the window from the outside of the car. That's exactly what I needed to do to have absolute confirmation that I did it correctly. With the intakes off, you can look right into the driver side throttle body and actually see the butterfly opening and closing. It makes a little whining sound as the butterflies go full open back to full close. It's a pretty quiet whine so I'm quite doubtful you'd hear it without the hood up. I turned it to 'ON' and maybe 1-2 seconds before turning it off. As soon as I hit turned it to "OFF" I hurried up and leaned over to look into the driver side TB and saw/heard what I needed to. That being said, it happened quite quickly considering the write ups tell you it should happen within that ten seconds after you turn it off. I was thinking the TBs would do their thing at the 4-7 sec mark but as soon as I had leaned over, the driver side TB was already on its way back to closed. So after that, I was hoping my high idle would be fixed.... NOPE... negative. Looks like I may be taking a drive on over to the dealer to have this issue ironed out. Hope this post helps a few folks.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:04 PM
^interesting. thx for that. btw the tb position is just 1 of the procedures u must do. be sure u do pedal then the idl relearn after that for the idle to reset correctly. may or may not need to do the pedal procedure gotta look at the service manual

Old 06-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Trust me I build custom cars and restor car to and I even had to take it in and have it dun an I never take my car to the dealer I mr DIY and I threw everything I had at it an still a warmed up idle of 1600 rpm dealer ah it fixed in 30 min and cost under 100 bucks

Old 06-19-2012, 07:59 AM
Ugh... yea... I thoroughly hate the feeling of defeat when I finally concede to the fact that I need to bring the car to the dealer hahaha... but, if its fixed in 30 mins and costs under $100, I can live with that.

Unfortunately, I do know that I need to do the pedal position relearn, the throttle plate relearn and the idle air intake relearn... I say 'unfortunately' because after an hour and a half of doing those relearns with a stop watch, I'm still coming up empty handed. I can clear the codes, I got visual/audible confirmation of the throttle plate relearn and I'm pretty darn sure I'm getting the pedal relearn correct also. After the idle relearn process, I get the idle to come down to about 850-900rpm (which still isn't where it should be, but it's better) but after I shut the car off and start it again, it will be right back to 1200-1300rpm. It's the same old story as everyone else haha

Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Yup, i get it down to a perfect 650, but engine off and on again, right back up to 850/900.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:18 PM
jus count missisipily. no need stop watch and memorize the steps so u kno wat to do ahead of time while still reading each step. imo the sweet idle spot is 700+-. 650 is borderline