Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)
View Poll Results: Brand of Exhaust System
TopSpeed Pro 1
2.27%
Fast Intentions
13.64%
Borla
4.55%
HKS
31.82%
DC Sports
0%
Flowmasters
0%
Momentum Performance
4.55%
Tanabe
2.27%
Magnaflow
0%
Other (please list below or pm me)
40.91%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Too Many Exhaust System Brands!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 03:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LMAO
Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with borla? I was seriously considering getting the cat back system for my sedan. Still kinda am.
Beuller? Beuller??

Old 06-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by jninja26
I was surpirsed Stillen wasnt included. I wouldnt believe Stillen or Motordyne exhausts to have any noticeable Power difference. Dyno product testing is so unreliable anyways. Ive seen a product get massive gains on one test...and massive losses on another. Theres way to many variables to ever know what exhaust gives a G coupe the most power.
Really man?

you need to do some research on MotorDyne exhaust...

Old 06-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by LMAO
Beuller? Beuller??
I have the Borla exhaust on my sedan and like it, the only thing i did not like was it was not loud enough for me but once adding Labree resonated test pipes i fell in love.

The following users liked this post:
LMAO (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I was surpirsed Stillen wasnt included. I wouldnt believe Stillen or Motordyne exhausts to have any noticeable Power difference. Dyno product testing is so unreliable anyways. Ive seen a product get massive gains on one test...and massive losses on another. Theres way to many variables to ever know what exhaust gives a G coupe the most power.
Stillen was determined (years ago) to not yield as good of gains as several others (on dyno) - this is for coupe.

Sedan is a whole other story... your suggestion of Stillen vs Motordyne (on a sedan) is very likely... I don't think there's necessarily a "better" choice than Stillen for sedan.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Beebo
Really man?

you need to do some research on MotorDyne exhaust...
You may be right. However I dont believe that there is much gain to be had on an aftermarket catback exhaust at all for the G coupe DE.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
If you go straight through with a system, it'll harvest gains, the MD will show gains, even on the G. However, the cats and y-pipe are the biggest gains to be had, i will say that having driven with those replaced, and just now replaced the rest of the system with the MD Shockwave, that it does feel freer and easier flowing whilst driving, it just wants to rev.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:09 PM
Received 56 Likes on 54 Posts
Here are the only choices:

If you got the money to spend
Motordyne TDX2+ART

If you don't got money to spend
ART+stocks exhaust

/THREAD

Old 06-28-2012, 02:54 AM
You may be right. However I dont believe that there is much gain to be had on an aftermarket catback exhaust at all for the G coupe DE.
search and you will find many independent dyno's for the MotorDyne exhaust

Old 06-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bluedevils95
Have you narrowed it down yet?

Originally Posted by MaDMaXX
Why isn't Motordyne on the vote??!!!?!?!

Other have said it, i'll say it again, Motordyne /thread. Shockwave TDX2 is what you want. The ART pipes are Motordynes test pipes.

I have a better idea of what to get now. Its either MotorDyne with or without ART Pipes, HKS,or TopSpeed (its cheap).

Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Beebo
I have the Borla exhaust on my sedan and like it, the only thing i did not like was it was not loud enough for me but once adding Labree resonated test pipes i fell in love.
One of the cars we have we have a Boral Exhaust on it. It isnt that loud but it does not give you headaches either. Its the stock exhaust sound with the volume of the engine turned up to sound like a little sporty.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Yeah, Borla usually make nice systems, but on the 350 it *is* quiet, just not as quiet as the stock.

I have ART pipes and the Shockwave with the HFC modules, it sounds great, it's quiet at idle, it's quiet (very nearly same as stock) when cruising, makes all the right noises below 4k rpm and sounds almost like a Ferrari after 4k.

You can easily get the Shockwave and upgrade to ART later if you want.

Topspeed is cheap, but the sound isn't as sophisticated.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:42 AM
I've never heard motordyne in person but it sounds pretty bad in videos IMO. A few F.I. and HKS videos on youtube sound much better to me. I'm assuming they sound totally different in person.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:06 AM
I'm trying to get a video edited of the Shockwave, i used a proper stereo mic, so it should come across much better than most vids of it. However, i will say that it does sound fairly different in person.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:32 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts
So I just installed my Motordyne Shockwave TDX V2 myself today.

The exhaust is absolutely amazing. You hear all these good reviews about it and once you have the exhaust installed. Then you will know why there are so much good reviews.

The exhaust has a pure sound with no rasp at all (I have ART pipes as well)

It rumbles and sounds deep at low RPMs (1-3k) after 3k, it just sounds different even at WOT.

I came from a NISMO S-tune catback exhaust, and I got rid of it bc of the lack of power I was getting, the rasp at certain RPMs, and the drone it gave me cruising at 60-70 mph.

Once I had the TDX V2 installed, the only drone I get is when Im climbing up the gears and cruise at 40 which is something I hate.

Even thought the V2 claims no drone, it has it when cruising at low RPMs. But once you get around 2.8k the drone disappears.

As for performance, I drove hard doing a few runs with my stock exhaust and honestly, I felt more torque with the stock exhaust but it seemed to climb the RPM slower.

With the TDX, it didnt seem like the TQ was there anymore, but it climbed the RPMs faster!

The sound is soooo pure. I love it.

Last edited by Algy; 07-23-2012 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Put some miles on it, it changes the drone. However, you shouldn't have any drone upon acceleration unless you are making it pull at low low revs.

No drone on cruise, no rasp anywhere. Make sure you removed the evap canister guard, per the instructions.
Again, let the exhaust run in, a good thousand miles, you should have no drone when cruising, even at low rpm.

As for the tq, you can only tell that on a dyno really, but you'll feel like it's trying to pull harder with the quieter stock system, but you already noticed the increase in speed after fitting the TDX2. Get a tune, mine felt quicker just daily driving after the TDX2 and even more so after the Uprev.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Too Many Exhaust System Brands!