Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Dead Horse Summary of P2A00 and P2A03

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts
P2A00 Code HELP

Has anyone received this code and found a fix for it??

The code description is P2A00 02 Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor.

I havent received a code like this before and its the first time. I checked to see if the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold was working correctly and it does. Its not failing. I dont think I have an exhaust leak or intake leak when I checked. I did have another code pop up before (a while back) due to the ART pipes having too much steel wool inside them and causing the 02 sensors on the cats to act up. Took all the steel wool out from both test pipes and the problem was solved.

My mods are
-JWT intake + Ztube
-5/16th spacer
-ART pipes
-TDX2 exhaust
-Osiris tuned

Any info on this will be much appreciated.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
As a trouble shooting process try swaping your left and right bank A/F sensors to see what happens with the code.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
As a trouble shooting process try swaping your left and right bank A/F sensors to see what happens with the code.
I just replaced the sensor with a brand new one. After prob. 40 miles, the SES light came right back on.

I have no idea now to what it could be.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:53 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Do you ever notice sputtering or misfiring?

Old 12-01-2012, 02:42 AM
Do you ever notice sputtering or misfiring?
No never. The car runs smooth as far as I can tell. The only thing I can think about is prob a bad fuel injector.

Do you think that might be it?

Why do you ask about the sputtering or misfiring? Also Im sure if it was misfiring, it would prob be the spark plugs or wires and it should throw a code for that.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:25 AM
I just realized it could be a bad gasket that goes between the manifold and cats...

When I was replacing the A/F sensor on the manifold, I had to take off the passenger side ART pipe and when I did, I notice that the gasket that came with the ART pipe was literally split into two but were still perfect shaped gaskets.

I had also used an OEM metal gasket with it too.

While reinstalling everything I also installed the broken two gaskets with the OEM one. I should try spraying carb cleaner on it and see how the car reacts. If the idle changes then obviously there is a leak with that gasket and could possibly be the cause of the P2A00 code.

Wish me luck!

Also the code came after a hard launch on a very cold 44 degree day.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
The code you have is saying its the A/F sensor upstream of the ART pipes.

P2A00 NISSAN - Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p2a00_nissan.html#ixzz2EEfPbAZH

Or see this link for more info.
http://engine-codes.com/p2a00_nissan.html

Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 PM
The code you have is saying its the A/F sensor upstream of the ART pipes.

P2A00 NISSAN - Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Range/Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p2a00_nissan.html#ixzz2EEfPbAZH

Or see this link for more info.
http://engine-codes.com/p2a00_nissan.html
I already know all of this but it still doesnt explain why after installing a new A/F sensor the light still came back on after clearing all codes.

The last things to check are exhaust leaks hence the gasket and the fuel injectors.

So far I just cleared the code again and took it on the highway to do a self relearn thing I read somewhere and the SES light has yet to come back and its already been 120 miles.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
There can be a number of reasons but it helps to give you an idea of the areas to consider for trouble shooting.

- Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 harness is open or shorted
- Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Fuel pressure
- Fuel injector
- Intake air leaks

And another that happens quite a bit on our vehicle are faulty spark plug coil packs. They are notorious for failing on this engine. When they start to fail, they fade away and start by occasionally misfiring. The bad coil packs gets worse over time.

When the engine mis-fires, it sends a slug of unburned fuel and air into the exhaust stream that flows down to the sensor and can throw a p2a00 code.

Another possibility is if you had aftermarket headers that leaked at the heads. If you have stock headers you can pretty much eliminate them as a possibility. I've never seen the stock headers leak from the factory.

P2a00 is suggesting the problem is somewhere at or upstream of the A/F sensor. It will take some hands on trouble shooting to find the cause but at least it gives a direction to look.

The following 2 users liked this post by Hydrazine:
AnonG35 (12-17-2020), Blue Dream (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 07:55 PM
There can be a number of reasons but it helps to give you an idea of the areas to consider for trouble shooting.

- Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 harness is open or shorted
- Air Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Fuel pressure
- Fuel injector
- Intake air leaks

And another that happens quite a bit on our vehicle are faulty spark plug coil packs. They are notorious for failing on this engine. When they start to fail, they fade away and start by occasionally misfiring. The bad coil packs gets worse over time.

When the engine mis-fires, it sends a slug of unburned fuel and air into the exhaust stream that flows down to the sensor and can throw a p2a00 code.

Another possibility is if you had aftermarket headers that leaked at the heads. If you have stock headers you can pretty much eliminate them as a possibility. I've never seen the stock headers leak from the factory.

P2a00 is suggesting the problem is somewhere at or upstream of the A/F sensor. It will take some hands on trouble shooting to find the cause but at least it gives a direction to look.
Good looking out!!! :biggthumpu p:

Im waiting for the code to arise again but it has yet to do it.

If it is a misfire (coil pack), I should really be able to feel it but as far as I can tell the car idles smoothly. Plus, when there is a misfire detected. The ECU should usually throw a code for misfire and which bank its coming from. I get these a lot at the auto shop I work at.

Stock headers over here so that can be eliminated.

Doesnt the A/F sensor (upstream) work hand in hand with the O2 sensor downstream? According to my ALLDATA its states something similar to that.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
The O2 and A/F sensors are on independent channels.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead Horse Summary of P2A00 and P2A03

Looking for NEW thoughts and NEW revelations here. I'm going to provide you with 1. My details and 2. A summary of what explanations already exist on this forum and others.
--
I've spent hours and hours tonight and MANY other nights just reading about these two codes on G35diver and my350z. Here is a summary of what I've found.
--
Car: 06 5AT G35 w/ less than 50,000 miles, 93 octane Shell, Royal Purple 5w-30 changed every 3000-4000 miles, driven hard
Only Mods: Nismo CAI, Copper-Iso 5/16" MD spacer, & Berk HFCs

Symptoms: GAS HOG (17mpg average), sluggish through 2500-4000 rpm, SES light comes on after 50-100 miles after dismissing

BOTH P2A00 and P2A03: Banks 1&2 Sensor 1 - precat/on header sensors
--Possible Codes reasons per Nissan: Bad sensors, Fuel Pressure/Injector issues, Intake Air leaks

My hypothesis:

Plenum leak?: I need to retorque the 18 bolts on the plenum at 100 inch pounds. Haven't done it since the install (which I followed the correct pattern and inch pounds).
--Do you think it will help?

CAI issue?: Just guessing. It's Nismo and perhaps the cone is dirty?
--What CAI issues would cause this code and how do I fix them? What method is best to clean the cone?

Originally, only the P2A03 code came up but then today after months of just one bank, the other bank P2A00 code came up.

I highly doubt that with under 50,000 miles, BOTH banks 1 & 2 1st sensors died. From what I read, people change them unnecessarily and waste over $200.

Could just the fact that I have the CAI & Spacer being causing the dual codes? Too much air confused the sensors? Would a tune FIX or HIDE these codes?

**What I've read from alllll the other posts can be summarized here:

Check for cracks in exhaust. Ok...I can visually roll around under there and look but vapor isn't easy to see. Can a shop do this cheaply and use smoke or something? Wouldn't the only "cracks in exhaust" that bother these two sensors be located prior to the cats?

Check for cracks in Berk HFCs, specifically. Again, I can probably manage trying to see a crack but the code is PRE-Cat...I've read at low RPMs, with a HFC crack, you get outside air flowing in and going back up to the header/pre-cat sensors. The professionals used the new gaskets when installing. --Berk promises that their cats WILL NOT throw a code. That's the only reason I got them.

MAF sensor may be bad: With the Nismo CAI extending down to the front bumper, it's possible to have sucked water into the cone and up to the MAF, damaging it, right? I don't ever remember a situation this happening, though. The MAF could need cleaning from just being "dirty" in general, I've read. However, cleaning it improperly can ruin it, also. If the MAF sensor is dirty/damaged, then does that explain BOTH codes appearing?

To assure the sensors are both good, have them checked to see if they are between 0.5v and 0.9v or something like that---basically test them by themselves. Again, don't think both sensors would've failed at nearly the same time.

**How I'd like you to respond: only after you've read my whole post.
--I know this is a "dead horse" that has been beat over and over. I'm going to do the work but I don't want to go back and forth back and forth.

I just want to know if I have provided an accurate summary of possible explanations for both P2A00 and P2A03 codes being thrown as well as answers to my few unanswered questions.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
have you ever gotten a tune?

Old 12-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
have you ever gotten a tune?
No tune. Sorry, I eluded to that but never said it.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:30 PM
This is from Berk Technology: I just emailed them basically the same questions I posed to you all.

Those codes do not relate to the cats but point to the primary O2 sensors in the header. Most common culprits:

Air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor
Air fuel ratio (A/F) sensor heater
Fuel pressure
Fuel injector
Intake air leaks (or plenum leaks)

In your case since you have the plenum & intake check to make sure that you have no leaks post MAF. Injectors and/or FPR could also cause the same symptoms but those are less likely. Go for the usual suspects first. I should add that it is unusual to get both bank 1 & bank 2 codes at the same time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dead Horse Summary of P2A00 and P2A03