Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Motordyne TDX2 Shockwave Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2013 | 03:45 AM
|
Motordyne TDX2 Shockwave Problem

First of all, just got a TDX2 system so hells yeah!

After installing the system, I'm having trouble getting the exhaust tip on the driver side to come out further. It's leaning on the inside of my bumper on the driver side. The passenger side exhaust doesn't even line up with the exhaust cutout on the bumper so the tip can't be installed. I'll get a picture tomorrow.

Then there's the bigger issue where I hear a really loud metal on metal sound when I apply my brakes. While I'm driving, no problem, when I let off the gas there's some clanging noise but it's more quiet. Then when I apply the brakes, it's this very loud metal on metal that makes you cringe. I'm pretty sure it could be hear from 1/4 mile away. I could feel it every time it hit onto whatever it's hitting; imagine holding a piece of metal against the spokes of a spinning wheel. It's that same noise. I did remove the heat shield in the muffler area.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 12-23-2013 | 02:12 PM
|
Figured out the loud banging sound. It was rubbing on the drive shaft.

Only problem left is the alignment of the exhaust tips. Anyone?

Old 12-24-2013 | 12:05 AM
Bend them..

Old 12-24-2013 | 12:46 AM
As for aligning them so they are evenly in the middle of the cutouts u gotta get under it and man handle the **** out of it while tightening the clamps. Either have someone hold it or what I did was stick cardboard to have it sit evenly, actually a little more to whatever side I wanted it to go to then tighten the clamps.

Now as for how far the exhaust tips come out, mine will not come out evenly. One side will come out further while the other at the same position will not have exhaust left for the screws to grip on meaning the pipes are not cut even on both sides. Hope that makes sense cause I emailed motordyne about it and they just told me to adjust til even,

Old 12-24-2013 | 01:17 AM
Wow, for an exhaust everyone raves about, it should have been a pretty straight forward job needing nothing. I installed my exoticspeed exhaust and everything bolted up with no issues what so ever. Man, I love my exhaust. It has become my new stereo system. Lol.

The following users liked this post:
Lone Wolf (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013 | 03:25 AM
|
Originally Posted by BowWizzel
As for aligning them so they are evenly in the middle of the cutouts u gotta get under it and man handle the **** out of it while tightening the clamps. Either have someone hold it or what I did was stick cardboard to have it sit evenly, actually a little more to whatever side I wanted it to go to then tighten the clamps.

Now as for how far the exhaust tips come out, mine will not come out evenly. One side will come out further while the other at the same position will not have exhaust left for the screws to grip on meaning the pipes are not cut even on both sides. Hope that makes sense cause I emailed motordyne about it and they just told me to adjust til even,
Yeah I'll try twisting them around. I noticed there's a heatshield thing near the passenger tip, I'm going to try removing that since it's pushing the muffler part inwards. It's too bad there isn't ONE right way to install it so I could just know what's wrong.

Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
Wow, for an exhaust everyone raves about, it should have been a pretty straight forward job needing nothing. I installed my exoticspeed exhaust and everything bolted up with no issues what so ever. Man, I love my exhaust. It has become my new stereo system. Lol.
I don't know about Exoticspeed, but Motordyne uses V-Band clamps for full adjustment capabilities. I love my TDX2 so far though, first day today and the radio was off every time I drove.

Old 12-24-2013 | 03:52 AM
^ That metal part at the rear, if its the same thin one I'm thinking about you could just bend it out the way.

Old 12-24-2013 | 04:01 AM
|
^ That metal part at the rear, if its the same thin one I'm thinking about you could just bend it out the way.
It's like 8"x8" maybe. Covering some wiring or tubing it looks like. I can't bend it, it's a box shape. There was a huge one above the stock muffler that is about the same size as the muffler.. I took that one off.

Old 12-24-2013 | 04:17 AM
^ I remember cutting the corner of it off with a dremel so it doesn't rub.

Old 12-24-2013 | 05:22 AM
Thumbs up Aaahhh Exoticspeed

My Exoticspeed was a straight bolt on situation, no drilling, shifting, or cutting what so ever. Just bolt it up, attach the hangers, and enjoy the sound and the extra horses. No fiddling here and no fiddling there just a smooth install.

Old 12-24-2013 | 05:53 AM
^ My TDX given it price should really have better fitment. Ive seen pics of some exoticspeed exhaust on here & some have bad fitment & doesn't seem like it would be easily adjusted without some serious bending of pipes.

Old 12-24-2013 | 05:59 AM
You have to remove the heat shield in the rear and if you got the test pipes, on the front driver side by the front heat shield there will be a bolt that sticks out and will hit the test pipe. You'll have to cut a little bit of it off so it doesn't rub. Other than that, it should bolt up with no fitment issues.

Old 12-25-2013 | 11:32 AM
Thumbs up My exhaust

I can't speak for others with an Exoticspeed exhaust but, my install was straight forward, straight forward, straight forward. I didn't have to cut, bend, shift, shake, tickle or squeeze any pipes or connectors to make it fit. This is how I feel about my new exhaust , , , , . This how I feel about other that bought exhaust systems that don't fit properly , .

Old 12-25-2013 | 06:06 PM
OP,
I had the same issue when I first installed mine (not the driveshaft issue but the alignment one). I got under the car and shifted everything all the way to the front until got them perfectly aligned. You absolutely need to remove the shield box or it wont align. My next issue was my diffuser as it was rubbing a little, enough to annoy me at high RPMs. I ended up having to insert washers under the exhaust hangers near the bumper in order to lower it enough to avoid the rubbing.
With regards to the tips beng tucked and not the same length, we are all on the same boat. My plan is to insert extenders in the Spring and bring those gorgeous titanium tips out a bit more.

Old 12-26-2013 | 02:49 PM
|
^ I remember cutting the corner of it off with a dremel so it doesn't rub.
I just took the whole thing off. Worked! Passenger side is clear.

Originally Posted by MicntaeG35
You have to remove the heat shield in the rear and if you got the test pipes, on the front driver side by the front heat shield there will be a bolt that sticks out and will hit the test pipe. You'll have to cut a little bit of it off so it doesn't rub. Other than that, it should bolt up with no fitment issues.
Yeah I took off 2 total heat shields from the rear. Tips fit better now, but next is to twist them around and get them to protrude the bumper.

Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
I can't speak for others with an Exoticspeed exhaust but, my install was straight forward, straight forward, straight forward. I didn't have to cut, bend, shift, shake, tickle or squeeze any pipes or connectors to make it fit. This is how I feel about my new exhaust , , , , . This how I feel about other that bought exhaust systems that don't fit properly , .
It's straight forward for the TDX2, just with more adjustability. We don't cut, bend, shift, shake, tickle, or squeeze any thing. We just have to make sure the pipe's bends don't hit on the sway bar, driveshaft, etc. it's only common sense. My friend did my rear piping for me so I didn't have control over that part until I realized what was wrong. Gotta say though, TDX2 sounds like no other.. I don't even have the ART pipes on yet and I'm looking forward to what that might sound like.

Originally Posted by Cubes
OP,
I had the same issue when I first installed mine (not the driveshaft issue but the alignment one). I got under the car and shifted everything all the way to the front until got them perfectly aligned. You absolutely need to remove the shield box or it wont align. My next issue was my diffuser as it was rubbing a little, enough to annoy me at high RPMs. I ended up having to insert washers under the exhaust hangers near the bumper in order to lower it enough to avoid the rubbing.
With regards to the tips beng tucked and not the same length, we are all on the same boat. My plan is to insert extenders in the Spring and bring those gorgeous titanium tips out a bit more.
Yeah, I removed the rear heatshield above the passenger side tip. It fits flush on the passenger side now, comes out a little further than driver side too. What I did was shift the whole exhaust hanger towards the center of the bumper cutout, it left like 1-2CM of clearance but if you can hulk some more strength into it.. it'd be an even better fit. The spacer idea is a good one, I might consider that for the driver side tip. It's scraping off my paint on the underside of the cutout. (I got the straight cut tips) And what extenders are you referring to? Sounds like I need some.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motordyne TDX2 Shockwave Problem