Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

building an exhaust.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
building an exhaust.

Well, I've been running an HKS knockoff cat back for the last year and expectedly it was not that great. Sounded okay but not what I was looking for. I recently made the move to long-tube headers and while it sounds pretty nice now, the replica exhaust resonators and mufflers are very blown out and it's quite loud. I'm going to scavenge some piping from the old system but it's time to overhaul it. I picked up a pair of Vibrant resonators, and am going to replace the old h-pipe with an xpipe to try and equalize it a bit better. I'm not an expert on exhaust so hopefully some guys can chime in. I'm more confused about where I need to place the xpipe and resonators to maximize their effectiveness. All piping Is 2.5" also.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by livinglegend; 03-20-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the move. I had originally intended to put it here to begin with.

Anybody know their way around custom exhaust systems that can answer this for me?

Old 03-21-2014, 09:37 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
I just had my custom exhsust done today. I got a megan oe rs muffler had 2.5 in exhaust made with no resonater. It sounds great no drone and alot better pedal response. It gained some ponies too! Try it without resonater it will be less restrictions and have better sound.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:10 PM
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Sub'd

Old 03-24-2014, 10:38 PM
well it looks like im just gonna have to "go for it" and see how it turns out. for now im going to keep the existing cans on the back (mainly because I havent figured out what to do for mufflers yet), and place the x-pipe right after the collectors on the headers and then place the resonators as far back as possible before the exhaust has to do its over/under b.s. with the sway bar. hopefully this week I can tackle it. If I get it done ill get some before and after videos.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:26 PM
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Make sure you take plenty of pics.

Old 03-24-2014, 11:38 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Legend, try doing the Magnflow X-Pipe install first. That will mix/equalize the volume/sound coming from each bank. Shame you wasted $$ on a knock off when you could have had the real deal for what your going to spend.
Gary

Old 03-25-2014, 05:44 PM
Well I do all the work myself so it's relatively inexpensive. I got the knockoff system for 100 bucks as a side deal when I bought my coilovers. I'm not a huge fan of the legit HKS version to begin with. I'd say I got my monies worth out of it. The fitment is awful and took a bit of re-engineering but honestly it sounds better than 50% of the $1k+ systems on the market. I'm all for buying quality but the amount of money big name companies charge for exhaust systems is highway f*cking robbery.after this is all said and done I'll still have less than half the cost of a brand name invested. As long as it performs and sounds how I want it to then I don't need chrome pipes and a fancy logo welded onto a muffler to be happy with it. I'm more of a function> form person.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:08 PM
Thats why I didnt let my ins company do the exhaust. $553 for a infinlti muffler! I got my custom exh built for $440 installed. Ins wouldnt get a price for a aftermarket exh. I wanted magan oe rs system. None available. I was lucky to find a oe rs muffler.it sounds better than stk and stainless. Gained some hp too! She is exhausting better and I installed a oem 35z tube. So she is breathing better too! Total cost $555. Ins wrote a check for $553 cost of infiniti muffler so I paid $2. Cant complain

Old 03-25-2014, 06:44 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
to clarify, try a Magnaflow resonated X pipe and forgo the resonators for now. yes you could have the "real" HKS but you'd still get resonators and a crappy H pipe. You'd probably still be dealing with the same noise issues.

Placement of the X pipe should as close to the headers as possible. So I'd guess right after the cats?

The following users liked this post:
livinglegend (03-26-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 07:18 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
still waiting for a video of someone with an authentic HKS and a magnaflow x pipe..gary did you happen to have a video?? id love to get rid of that annoying hiss that seems to appear once in a while

Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Go to the 1st gen v35 section they have video of almost all of the exh systems for the g35. Its title is a compilation Of exhaust systems for the g35 coupe and sedan.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:29 PM
Its in the forums.general discussions coup 03-07 sticky aftermarket exhaust compilation.same title For03 to 06 sedans

Old 03-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Jeff92se- I don't have cats. I've got long tube headers. But yes, I was planning on putting the x pipe right after the collectors. I was looking at just the plain non-resonated xpipe because I already have 2 new resonators sitting in the garage. Can anyone attest to the quality of the magna flow xpipe? I've had good luck with their products in the past but the xpipe looks like it's just stamp steel stuck together.

Old 04-10-2014, 12:20 AM
Hey guys sorry for the belated update. Tonight I cut up the catback and replaced the shitty h-pipe with an x-pipe and replaced the blown out resonators with Vibrant perf - core resonators. I left the rear section alone with the knockoff HKS cans. But I did cut off and cap those stupid auxiliary chambers that hang off the pipe right before the cans.

First off, the difference is absolute night a day day. I took a video of it before with the long tubes and trashy exhaust. Sounds horrific. I'll get a video of the new exhaust tomorrow. It sounds mean and clean like a v6 should.

I'm gonna post up a couple pics tonight of what was removed and what went in its place

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: building an exhaust.