Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Flowmaster 80 series review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flowmaster 80 series review

My first experience with a G35 was the 03' sedan that I purchased last year. I did a few things to that car including a Pop Charger/Z-tube, Plenum Spacer, and a Stillen Gen 2 catback. I love how that car sounded, but it started to have issues. Fast forward to a few months ago, and I now have an 07' G35 coupe. I instantly fell in love with the stock exhaust note, but was missing the, what I felt, louder and slightly more aggressive tone that my sedan had with the mods.

While searching for a new car I was considering a Genesis Coupe, and I noticed quite a few people started putting the Flowmaster 80 series muffler on their car instead of spending over $1k on a catback. I thought it sounded great, and you get F-type sounding crackles. Once I got my G coupe, I started doing a bit more research to see if G owners tried the same thing. There are some videos on youtube of 350Z and G owners with this muffler, and I thought they sounded awesome! So....I had one installed on my coupe 4 days ago.

Overall sound: Kept overall stock sound, but now it's a bit deeper and a decent amount louder.

Volume: Every review I read said this is "slightly" louder that stock. IMO, it's noticeably louder! Much more of a volume increase than what I had expected. I actually prefer how loud this is though. Loud enough to make a presence, but not to the point of being obnoxious. Cold starts sound very aggressive now. So good!

Drone: There is a bit of drone when just cruising around town, but on the highway there is nothing.

Rasp: Cruising around, everything sounds great, but as soon as you put any power down or are near a reflective surface (neighborhoods, retaining wall on highway, etc.) it turns into rasp city! Nobody else mentioned this in their reviews. The Gen Coupe community mentions that this muffler has a "break in" period for the first 3k-5k miles, and apparently it sounds the best after this. It has to do something with heat treatment and build-up (carbon?) on the inside of the muffler, so it gets a bit louder and the sound smooths out. I'm hoping that the rasp goes away, otherwise, I'm putting the stock muffler back on. I'll update this thread after I put more mileage on the muffler, and let everyone know if the sound changes at all. If you've done this to your car, please chime in and let me know if that's what should happen....I hate the rasp!

If the rasp situation goes away, then IMO this could be one of the cheapest and best sounding exhaust mods you could do to our cars! I'm sure combined with something like a Pop Charger/Z Tube and plenum spacer combo, this would sound even better!

Pros:
Keeps stock sound but is louder and deeper
Cheap - $180 total for me

Cons:
Slight bit of drone while cruising
Currently has a lot of rasp (Only have 4 days and a few hundred miles on it)

Last edited by kirkpetrucci; 02-10-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:03 PM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
subbed to this.. looking for a muffler to use on my 03 coupe. I hate the rasp on the ebay exhaust the PO put on. Looking at Borla right now.

keep us posted

Old 02-15-2016, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just finished up a long drive from Dallas, TX to Salt Lake City, UT. Over the past 5-6 days of having this exhaust, I've put around 1700 miles on it. So far, no change in the rasp situation. I was only putting this on temporarily until I get the Motordyne TDX2 catback. It works for now, but it's not something that I would personally keep on the car. If you don't mind some drone and rasp, then it's not a bad mod...just not something that I like.