Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Tanabe/Invidia guys; help with drone!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:09 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Magneu
Bringing this back from the dead. Shoutout to Scottwax for pointing me toward Vibrant Resonators; ordered an open-box Vibrant Resonator 1132 for $70, got it welded on for another $50 in place of the itty-bitty Tanabe resonator and BOOM, exhaust is perfect. The only drone to speak of is acceleration noise when hitting it from 2.6-3k, honestly almost stock. It is just enough to remind you that the car isn't bone-stock.

FI RHFC, Stillen intake, Z1 spacer, full Tanabe catback, and it's absolutely zero cruising drone, the interior is quiet but livens up when driving fast. It honestly reminds me of a current BMW with valves in the exhaust; it's perfectly docile cruising around (with more of an edge than pure stock), but screams when hitting it (pops and crackles when revving high) and purrs in the classic VQ way at low RPMs. My exhaust is now the definition of OEM+. Tiny bit louder, tiny bit bassier, basically just more exaggerated, but not obtrusive at all. Plus, I get all benefits of HFC and a catback!

Problem solved, 10/10 satisfied.
Interesting that you went with this approach. I had installed a Tanabe mid-pipe and muffler back in 2014 on my 04 coupe, and also felt there was a bit too much drone, especially on the highway and from 2200-2700 RPM.

Like you I had done a fair amount of research and had actually bought the Vibrant 1142 Resonator (also 3") with the intent to swap it in place of the small Tanabe resonator, but never got around to it and sold my G last May. Good to know that the idea actually worked!

Old 04-18-2018, 02:53 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
G35C 5AT
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
Interesting that you went with this approach. I had installed a Tanabe mid-pipe and muffler back in 2014 on my 04 coupe, and also felt there was a bit too much drone, especially on the highway and from 2200-2700 RPM.

Like you I had done a fair amount of research and had actually bought the Vibrant 1142 Resonator (also 3") with the intent to swap it in place of the small Tanabe resonator, but never got around to it and sold my G last May. Good to know that the idea actually worked!
Yeah, it was more effective than I had thought possible, but it worked great (it was a 2.75 one though, seems slightly harder to find, but the Tanabe mid-pipe is 2.75).

Love the exhaust, but it's got to go eventually; the Tanabe hangs rather low, and being on Tein coilovers at max height I scrape rather small bumps (y-pipe is taking a beating) more frequently than I care for. Might be able to gain a half inch to an inch with new muffler hangers, but failing that an Invidia Gemini may be in my future with a resonated x-pipe welded in.

I am leaning towards getting a fully custom exhaust bent though. Good pipe is cheap, and I could get it tucked as near to the body as I need and get the mufflers stuffed in the massive cavity left behind by the OEM muffler.

The following users liked this post:
G35fromPA (04-23-2018)