Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Anybody tried the AFE Takeda Stage 2 Dry Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Anybody tried the AFE Takeda Stage 2 Dry Air Intake?

Claims +9/+9 for <$350, which makes it a better dollar-for-HP return than high flow cats lol

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...view/model/g35

Old 04-23-2018, 09:50 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
"If it seems to good to be true, it probably is!" Did you ever hear this before? Manufactures have been making claims about large WHP gains since our G35s first came off the boat in Long Beach! Nissan did a good job of designing our intakes, the claims may be true for some cars...just not ours! Fact is they change the sound but offer zero WHP gains! Another fact, this intake will cost you massive WHP loss once the temperature gets hot under your hood!
Gary

Old 04-23-2018, 09:58 AM
So no aftermarket intakes for the DE are worth it? I see so many people running them lol

Old 04-23-2018, 11:10 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If you have the rev-up intake then you won't see any gains really, maybe 1-2hp max. If you DONT have the rev-up airbox however then you can pick up a little extra airflow by switching to one, the rev-up airbox + 350Z intake pipe is a great combination. Stay away from any metal intake pipes they get heat soaked and lose power, stay away from anything drawing air from the engine bay they too will lose power.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:19 AM
I have a rev up engine so I assume I still have the correct airbox lol

Old 04-23-2018, 09:30 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Dude you've been a member too long to still buy into the intake hype. Gary and cleric are correct but there are 2 intakes that are mostly sealed that won't lose you power and might gain a bit, more if you are modded with plenum spacer, exhaust and a tune. They are the Stillen and my favorite the R2C. R2C completely seals against the hood if you buy the 350Z version so it only pulls air through the front end of the car. The G version has a cut out on the left side of the box to be fed air through the OEM snorkel. It still pulls in some air from the engine bay which is what you want to avoid at all costs.

You'd be better off spending your money (and a little bit more) to get a tune. It does so much more than just add HP/TQ and the car is a different beast when it's tuned. Just my .02.....

Old 04-23-2018, 10:53 PM
I've honestly never read about intakes before lol, I only just got interested in modding a few weeks ago

Old 04-23-2018, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Dude you've been a member too long to still buy into the intake hype. Gary and cleric are correct but there are 2 intakes that are mostly sealed that won't lose you power and might gain a bit, more if you are modded with plenum spacer, exhaust and a tune. They are the Stillen and my favorite the R2C. R2C completely seals against the hood if you buy the 350Z version so it only pulls air through the front end of the car. The G version has a cut out on the left side of the box to be fed air through the OEM snorkel. It still pulls in some air from the engine bay which is what you want to avoid at all costs.

You'd be better off spending your money (and a little bit more) to get a tune. It does so much more than just add HP/TQ and the car is a different beast when it's tuned. Just my .02.....
I was going to tune the car no matter what, but I heard that the stillen intake has problems relating to the car stalling

Old 04-24-2018, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by philbegas
I was going to tune the car no matter what, but I heard that the stillen intake has problems relating to the car stalling
If anyone had issues with stalling it wasn't caused by Stillen's Z-Tube/CAI which I used for a few years! I still have if for a backup just in case Liberal Sacramento changes the rules again! Or, I might consider selling it if offered the right amount of Green since I just put out $900 for a new set of Koni's and boots!
Gary

Old 04-24-2018, 07:30 AM

LMK where you heard it, I've been on here for 9 years and have never heard that. Gary's right, that's a load of crap and whoever said it is clueless. Thousands of people use the Stillen and have no issues.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:13 AM
It was on here and the 350z forum, had something to do with going into neutral at speed

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...l-driving.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...en-intake.html

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...n-intakes.html

Like I said, I don't know much about intakes, so maybe these guys are all doing something wrong

Old 04-24-2018, 12:46 PM
Stillen's Z-Tube/CAI was the second modification I made after bringing Slick home from the stealership. In the 30+K miles I ran this intake I had zero issues. Like I posted I still have it but currently run a Fujita intake with a Amsoil cone filter. It's only a guess but I'll bet members had issues with the Stillen intake because it wasn't installed correctly or they didn't clean that giant K&N filter it came with!
Gary

Old 04-25-2018, 07:27 AM

It was on here and the 350z forum, had something to do with going into neutral at speed

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...l-driving.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...en-intake.html

https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...n-intakes.html

Like I said, I don't know much about intakes, so maybe these guys are all doing something wrong
Damn, don't know how I missed those, it is a fairly common issue it seems. Just another reason to buy the R2C lol. They make air filters for all the US military vehicles and their filters for the G intake are maybe the best in the industry.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:33 AM
See it's not just me being dumb haha. That being said, adding R2C to my list of parts. I think step 1: FI catback exhaust + powder coated wheels + new tires all around. step 2: mrev2/5/16 plenum, HFCs, intake + tune

Old 04-25-2018, 10:20 AM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
I'd do plenum spacer first. Best bang for the buck mod.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody tried the AFE Takeda Stage 2 Dry Air Intake?