Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Stillen exhaust and chin spoiler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen exhaust and chin spoiler

Yesterday I installed my new Stillen cat back dual exhaust on my 6MT. The install went extremely easy - exactly one hour from removal to new installation (I do have a four post lift in my garage though so I could do the entire job standing up). This exhaust is very well designed and the fit'n'finish is excellent. BUT - I was a little disappointed. I'm 55 years old and come from the old Ford flathead V8 days when we put glasspack mufflers on those cars and had a beautiful mellow sound. I still want to hear my cars run! This new Stillen is almost as quiet as the factory system. My wife could not even tell that I had changed the exhaust! I do agree that the engine appears to rev easier and the old Butt'o'Meter thinks there is more power. I just wish it sounded better.

I have also had the new Stillen chin spoiler installed on my DG coupe. I LOVE that look. I think it looks much better than the picture on Stillen's web site. I usually paint those type of items myself but this spoiler is urathane so it needs a paint with the flex additive. I had a bodyshop do the job. They did an excellent job with the install too.

Larry Bushaw

Old 05-14-2003, 08:21 AM
Re: Stillen exhaust and chin spoiler

Please post pix when you can....

Thanks

Old 05-14-2003, 12:21 PM

Pics please

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Leather
Premium, Aero
"There is no spoon"

51019-50841-postpics.gif

Old 05-14-2003, 01:27 PM

How do we post pics with a responce?

Old 05-14-2003, 04:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make your post, and make sure the "I want to preview my post and/or attach a file" box is checked. Click Continue. When the preview comes up, there will be a box labelled "You may attach a file if you like...." -- click the Browse button, and select the file off your hard drive. Then click Continue, and it'll submit the picture with the post. The picture will appear as a link in the header of your post.

Pay attention to the "no more than 100k" part -- and also watch out for spaces and funky symbols in the filenames, these cause problems.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 05-15-2003, 12:36 AM

Very interesting installation on the Stillen. Either you're very experienced even with the lift, or the dealership in Dallas is...well, fill in the blank. They installed the Stillen on a manual and it took them either two or three hours! Complete with pics (see freshalloy.com about beginning of May). I take my hat off to you. The other comment about the Stillen was that instead of rolled tips, they had really thin metal (stainless tho) tips --- is that so? Seems kind of chintzy on an otherwise good system. Glad to hear your "Butt-o-meter" works----I like that one. Happy driving.

Old 05-15-2003, 07:39 AM

This G35 is my 67th car so yah, I'm kinda handy at working on them. I have a four car garage with four post lift and four roll-abouts full of tools. I'm really suprised that the dealership required that much time. I was not rushing at all and my removal and install took 1 hour on the nose! I had laid the exhaust out on the family room floor first to see how it all went together. My car only has 280 miles on it so the original system came off very easily. That original muffler is very heavy (the Stillen is not light though) and kind of a surprise when you pull it out of the last rubber support. Yes, the tips appear to be kind of cheap compared to the factory ones but I like the fact that there is no lip to hold the moisture like the rolled edges of the factory tips. I didn't measure the tips but they appear to be the same size.

This weekend I will try to get some photos posted of the Stillen system laying on my floor prior to the install and of the new chin spoiler.

By the way, I was very impressed with the packaging of the Stillen exhaust. It came in two very heavy duty cardboard boxes with big styrofoam blocks inside. It almost took me as long to unbox the system as it did to install it. I have never seen so many of those heavy duty box staples! The system came with everything an installer would need.

Larry Bushaw

Trending Topics

Old 05-15-2003, 09:56 PM

It came with everything? Mine was missing the gaskets that would go between the cats and the catback exhaust.

I agree that this exhaust is deadly quiet in the cabin when the engine is not under any load.

But when my G35c is under a light load, between 800rpm - 1900rpm, it won't wake the neighbors and I can barely hear it in the cabin. Between 2000rpm - 2900rpm, the sound intrudes into the cabin. Above 2900rpm she's growling like a p*ssed off dauschund.

When running under heavy load (climbing a hill) 2000rpm - 2900rpm is too loud to listen to music comfortably.

When running WOT, who cares! It sounds like a "Formula One" racer. Really gets the blood pumping. I got a little crazy today on the interstate. Hit 100mph while weaving in and out of traffic. "No Problemo!" "No Worries!" It just seemed like I was driving through a parking lot, full of parked cars, at 30mph - 35mph (relatively speaking). This car may kill me, but what a way to go!

After getting/installing my iForged wheels (and wider tires) I think I'm going to find someone who can hard wire my V1 and do the "VDC auto off, time delayed relay" mod (the VDC really ruins the "fun" factor). Can't do it myself. I'm too, errr, ahhh, "stout" to fit in that tiny foot well.

Screamin' Daemon - L5AT

Old 05-16-2003, 07:27 AM

The instruction sheet said to reuse the cat gaskets.

Our systems must be different because I don't have any noise intrusion at all - I wish it did!

I agree about the small footwell areas. I usually just unbolt and remove the seats these days if I want to work under the dash. I also plan to do the VDS relay mod and the V1 permanent mount. Just too many projects on the table.

Larry Bushaw

Old 05-18-2003, 10:22 PM

PICS!!!

Old 05-19-2003, 09:45 AM

Hi Guys,

I finally got some photos shot this weekend of the Stillen Chin Spoiler and the Stillen exhaust laying on my family room floor.

Larry Bushaw

52952-Stillenexhaust.jpg

Old 05-19-2003, 09:47 AM

Apparently I need to send each photo separately - - - -

52953-StillenChinSpoiler1.jpg

Old 05-19-2003, 09:47 AM

and another

52954-StillenChinSpoiler2.jpg

Old 05-19-2003, 09:48 AM

and the last - - - -

52955-StillenChinSpoiler3.jpg

Old 05-19-2003, 10:26 AM

Got any pics of the exhaust on the car?

2003.5 CB Coupe 6MT
Pics

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stillen exhaust and chin spoiler